11 yr old who was vomiting daily...constipated...CURE

catpiedpiper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to share with all that I have a normally healthy and energetic 11 year old male, who had problems with vomiting for quite some time.  It would sometimes be after meals and sometimes just many hours later in the middle of the night.  Of course, I was sleeping so maybe wasn't aware that he had been eating that late (I left dry out for him).  He has had 5 teeth pulled in the past but seemed to manage fine and chow down on the dry, and wet.

I took him to the vet and they ran blood work, he was totally fine. I switched his food to Racheal Ray because the kibbles were smaller.  I gave him probiotics and the vet said that was what he would do, but suspects IBS.

He started throwing up massive hairballs due to fleas that have been hard to control, and not pooping (I was scared it was the flea Capstar).  He didn't want to drink water, when he normally can't get enough. His belly was hard and so I gave him TONS of petromalt over the course of two weeks, along with a bit of olive oil.  Nothing, in the way of movements.

BUT....at the same time in the beginning I STOPPED giving him any sort of dry food.  One day, just as I was getting his box ready for the vet, he had a nice potty and has been regular ever since (6 months).  But the BEST part....he has not thrown up ONCE.

I TRULY believe the petromalt helped the hairballs and subsequent constipation...but I am CONVINCED that, with his teeth, it was stopping the dry.

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm SO happy your kitty feels better!! Dry food will cause constipation if your kitty doesn't drink enough. Moist food is 80% water, so that's likely why, and with the aid of the other thing you gave him, helped him go to the bathroom.

So happy for you! I do suggest using Advantage or Revolution for cats to help with flea/tick control. It's amazing stuff, no scent and kitties don't even notice it :)