11 week old Kitten is scaring one of my dogs. I have read your files and looked at many posts but re

lillian12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I fostered Tori at just 5 days from my son. The mother cat's milk dried up. He took them both to the vet and they said she would need feed by bottle or syringe from then on. They gave her subcutaneous fluids and antibiotics slow release. She only weighed 110 grams

To try and cut this as short as possible. We had her in a canvas crate next to our bed and fed her every 2 hours for 2 weeks. At first she would only take 2 mil in a syringe. Anyway we progressed onto a bottle and was feeding her every 3 hours then onto 4. She suffered bad from constipation. We changed her formula and that helped ease that problem. She is now 1 kilo.

Tori is now in the main part of the house with all of us. She uses her litter tray well. I started with a open one but she now uses the enclosed one well.

I have a Golden Retriever 11 years, A male Tibetan Spaniel 6 years and a female Tibetan Spaniel 5 years she is rather timid. They all have been around cats before a couple of years back with no issues.

Tori jumps up to our male and he just turns away and the Golden she leaves alone "Too big for her just yet" :) The past 10 days or so she has been rearing up at Echo our 5 year old female Tibetan Spaniel and she is now terrified to be in the same room as the kitten. Echo will not stand up to her.

I know how to introduce cats and dogs etc but am stuck with this problem. IWe play with her she has many toys to chase, lasers etc.

We are at our wits end. I had to resort to giving the dog half a valium for 2 nights. 

I have thought of moving Tori into the laundry at night. Anyway any advice would be a great help. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really wish I had more advice for you, but he's just "at that age."  He's going to be a bit of a hellion for a while longer (think of eight-year-old boys).  You may have to resort to secluding him at night for a bit.

The main reason I chimed in at all is that once a post gets an answer, it seems to trigger more.  I know there are very knowledgeable folks here who can give you concrete advice!  Best of luck, and I'll keep watching this thread!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillian12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply :)

lillian12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I really wish I had more advice for you, but he's just "at that age."  He's going to be a bit of a hellion for a while longer (think of eight-year-old boys).  You may have to resort to secluding him at night for a bit.

The main reason I chimed in at all is that once a post gets an answer, it seems to trigger more.  I know there are very knowledgeable folks here who can give you concrete advice!  Best of luck, and I'll keep watching this thread!
Mamany,

Thank you for your reply. Is there anywhere I can post this question to get more answers? I really am desperate. I have just came out of the bedroom. I took the younger dog with me but hate to make a habit of it. As soon as I opened the door in the family room she jumped straight onto Echo and she is now in the back yard shivering and hiding in a corner.

My husband is talking of re-homing her but I will only do that as a last resort. I have had cats and dogs all my life and never had this problem.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds more like a dog problem than a cat problem. The kitty isn't doing anything unusual, it's just that the dog is scared. I think I'd ask the vet for a daily anti-anxiety prescription for the dog. If she can overcome her anxiety and see that the cat won't hurt her, she'll be a lot happier, and, once the "habit" of being scared is out of her head, the meds could perhaps be reduced or stopped entirely.

lillian12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Willowy,

Thank you for your advice. I will take the dog to  the vet and see what he thinks. Appreciate your advice. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that @Willowy  has hit the nail on the head.  The kitten is just being a kitten, and WILL settle down in a few months.  Poor pup.  By all means, talk with your vet.  I'm old enough that I don't automatically think of anti-anxiety meds specifically for pets!  They just didn't exist when I was coming up, and, thankfully, it hasn't been an issue for me.  I'll bet you get some more ideas, as well.  

A thought...If you have a large wire crate, keeping the kitten crated in the room with the dog might also give Echo a chance to get used to him from a safe distance.