11 Week Old Kitten Has Recurring Vomiting Diarrhea

chunkykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi folks,

I adopted a shelter kitten 2 weeks ago yesterday. He is delightful and I love, love, love him! In less than 24 hours I had to get him to the E/R vet as he had vomited, explosive stinky poops, and became lethargic.

$800, x-rays some subQ fluids, cerenia, and antibiotics to go home he was doing better. They diagnosed a bacterial infection. He continued to do well for about 6 days then a repeat. This time I was able to get him to the shelter vet (no $800 bill -- yay!) where they administered subQ, more cerenia, some probiotic to go home and an add-on antibiotic, instructed to syringe feed Hills AD till he ate on his own. They said this happens in cats this young -- new environment, stress, etc., and of course the bacterial infection.

He did great for 6 more days. Last night he had a repeat. I stayed with him all night, he vomited 5 or so times (white foam) and passed a couple of stinky loose poops.

I got him to eat from the syringe this morning. He was "okay" (playing a bit) but not 100%. Then he vomited once, not all he had eaten.

He's pretty sleepy now, not showing signs of dehydration, he has eaten with a lot of encouragement. I called the shelter vet and they suggested I monitor him and see if it continues, worsens, gets better. If it does not improve I bring him in.

More details:
He gets filtered water
No smoking in house
No plants in house
No sign that he has ingested anything foreign

Anyone have any suggestions or a similar situation I can learn from? In any event, it's good to vent this all out. I love the guy and want to do all possible to get/keep him healthy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Can you add some unflavored Pedialyte, and/or some kitten glop? There are recipes on the internet for both.
All that vomiting is hard on a body never mind for a tiny one, and he's losing nutrients and needs those replaced.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you feeding him the same food he had at the shelter? This sounds like what happens when my kitty eats certain foods. His tummy just can't handle some foods. I'm wondering if maybe there's a sensitivity to something he's eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chunkykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I did get him on some Pedialyte (it seemed like the quickest thing to do and I was so worried). He had been cleared for all parasites at the shelter and then again at the ER.

Around 6 pm yesterday he got up from his nap, went to his empty food dish and gave me that feed me look. Feed him I did. He's been eating and behaving normally ever since.

I am going to investigate the food intolerance. Although I continued the food he was on at the shelter (Hills Kitten wet and dry) I would prefer he was on a grain-free diet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay!! I used to feed my kittens Royal Canin Babycat (canned and dry) until they were about 5-6 mos old. Then I started mixing the kitten food (canned) with adult grain free canned food. I also mixed the dry food. That way they got all the good for them stuff in the kitten food, but not as much grain. As they got older, I gradually backed off on the kitten food and went with all adult food by the time they were 10-11 mos old.