TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can help him latch onto mom. Help him find a nipple. That's the best if she's willing. She also needs to help him potty, etc.

Please get her spayed as soon as this kitty is weaned! And be aware that she can go into heat soon after delivery.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It also turns out mum wants to nurse but baby cant latch on.
Saw this first now.

If he has a weak or none suckling reflex, -

bottle is probably useless.  You must use a needleless syringe.

This way its possible to save a weak suckler.  Even kittens with a hole in the palate may be saved this way, if they are healthy otherwise.   With such a syringe, they dont need to suckle, its enough they manage to swallow properly.

If he hasnt not eaten yet, dont wait any longer, now you MUST begin and feed him.  You con of course continue to try and latch him to momma anyway.

As I understand it, she does take care of him - good, it makes the whole quite some easier for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbeym

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sadly he passed not long after my last post in his sleep. We asked the vet and they believe that's why she wouldn't feed him, he was so tiny. Though she searches for him running all over the place meowing I feel awful for her.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly he passed not long after my last post in his sleep. We asked the vet and they believe that's why she wouldn't feed him, he was so tiny. Though she searches for him running all over the place meowing I feel awful for her.
that is so heartbreaking, I am so sorry, for you and momma 

abbeym

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
I would also like to thank everyone for their kind support over the last couple of weeks, you guys were and still are the best of help and wish you all goodluck.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry. I hope you can have her spayed so none of you have to go through this again.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you think she will make a good momma anyways, you can try and lessen the tragedy be letting her be a foster momma.  Just make sure the fosterlings arent carrying on any evil contagion. Its better their momma died run over by a car or died during the birth, than died in Felv or distemper...

Talk again with the vets, or a shelter nearby.  They are in a network of sorts,  as such need happens now and then, and its of course almost always a hurry.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is sad.  Im sorry.  But,  Please describe more,  I want to know.  Was he tiny because he was tiny, or was he premature after all?

How much did he weight?  Was he fully haired just smallish, or was he thin and almost naked visibly premature?   Being premature is always a dangerous business for kittens, that is why  we seldom recommend cesarean on cats - unless as last possibility to save moms life, or the pregnanyc clearly long enough.   But the pregnancy here seemed almost too long?  He simply shouldnt be premature.

Btw, Being somewhat overdone isnt as dangerous for cats as for humans.   Quite a few of our forumists cats has surprising long pregnancies.

abbeym

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was very thin even though she ate like a pig. He was fully furred but alot shorter than usually and he just seemed not right..... I know thats not much to go on but thats really all I got with the time I spent with him.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

He was very thin even though she ate like a pig. He was fully furred but alot shorter than usually and he just seemed not right..... I know thats not much to go on but thats really all I got with the time I spent with him.
I see.  Apparently he never got a good chance from the Life.   RIP little man.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was afraid he had died when you stopped posting. I am very sorry for your loss, i hope mom will settle again soon and stop searching :(

abbeym

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your kind words, much appreciated

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other posters here, You did everything you could to save this little soul. You were very brave and stood up to the challenge. 

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
l am so sorry for your loss.

Rest  in peace little one....

Status
Not open for further replies.