11 Month Old Male Cat Aggressive Towards New Kitten

KayVee91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, sorry in advance for the long winded post!

I got my male kitten Finn at the start of this year. He's been desexed since the moment the vet said it was ok. He's a big ginger maine coon but he's always been really shy, loving, calm and has a beautiful nature. He's always been able to adapt really well to every change.

I finally decided to get a new kitten, Poppy. I was hoping that they would get along well or would ignore each other. I got a female because I figured there might be more territorial issues with two males.

I did everything that the research suggested, switched their blankets after a few days for them to get used to each other scent, slowly introduced them with the new kitten in a carrier until they seemed ok, then finally put them together. The whole process was about a week.

Finn did seem to be pretty obsessed with the laundry door while she was in there. He would sit out front of the door, try to smell under the door and scratch at it.

When I finally put them together, I really tried to give Finn attention, petting etc. Finn started trying to put his arm around her neck and biting her ear/neck. I told him off when he did it because I looked it up and apparently it's a sign of sexual aggression. She's not desexed yet as she's to young.

Every time I try to bring her out he chases her and pounces on her until he chases her under the couch. I even tried to repeat the initial get to know you process but took it a bit slower. He still tries to go after her. She starts to think he's playing and starts chasing after him but then he goes for her and really tries to hurt her.

Does anyone have any advise to get Finn to stop? I would re-home her but I've really started to love her and I don't think it's an option for me.

Thanks!

Karlee

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think he intends to hurt her and I don’t think it’s sexual aggression. Rather it is a one year old kitten who is thrilled to have a potential new playmate. He does play rough but that is pretty normal for any kitten. You didn’t say how old your new kitten weeks old I would distract Finn with a kick toy or any toy when he gets too rough with her but as she gets older leave it to the two of them to play and sort out their relationship.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KayVee91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for your answer! I know that i'm definitely an over-worrier. What's the best way to tell if it's playing or fighting?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If there was fighting their would be fur flying and high pitched howling and real biting. Best way to understand a cat fight is to watch a few YouTube videos of real fights and then some of play fighting.
With kittens your age it is almost always play fighting.

Here is a video of a real fight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KayVee91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a video of them playing or fighting. It looks like Finn, the big cat, is playing but Poppy, the kitten, is fighting. She makes a lot of noises that sounds like pain. Can I get some clarification?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My punk does exactly what Fin does. It starts off all sweet grooming & ends with him nipping his brother. :rolleyes: I think it is the cat equivalent of giving a noogie. :livid::gingercat:Not exactly a punch ... but it is a bit of a power play.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Poppy is getting annoyed because her brother is getting the best of her and those short yips aren’t pain as much as complaining. He does seem to back off which is great. A few more months and she will be bigger and able to hold her own with him.