11-12 Day Old Bottle Feeder Behaving Odd...

Ange76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I have been fostering a kitten we believe to be about 11-12 days old now. I've had him since he was 3-4 days old. He was starving when I first got him as he was left alone (waiting for momma to come get him) for almost 24 hours. He was a barn cat baby, momma moved all the others but left him behind for whatever reason. Anyway, he was doing great...eating about 3/4 tbsp. Of formula...the first two days it was every 2 hours, the third and fourth day it was every 3 hours and now its every 3.5-4 hours (round the clock of course). Also, on day four of being with me we found he was able to nurse from my min pin who has 6 week old pups she's trying to ween. We tried this on day one but I think he was just too weak. Because I know kittens have different dietary needs than dogs, and the fact my dog isn't producing as she used to I have been supplementing the feeding with kitten milk. Sometimes nursing was enough, other times he would nurse and bottle feed in the same session but regardless, every other feeding was bottle feeding. So yesterday I noticed the kitten was sleeping more than usual. I don't usually have to wake him up at the four hour mark and it took a bit to get him up and going. I've also been struggling with the bottles. I cut a new nipple as the previous one was eating by a puppy....and the milk wouldn't come out right. I kept trying to adjust the hole, went through three nipples trying to get it right and still struggled. So, I wasn't surprised feedings were tougher. Last night was the worst though. Every time I tried to feed him he would grab the bottle with his claws and let out a vigorous and angry meow. I though the bottle was stopped up again but it wasn't...milk was slowly dripping as it should, but he wouldn't suck the nipple. I put him to nurse and he just laid down and went to sleep. He did eat but not like usual! I also noticed yesterday that he was shaking his head. I'd say maybe ten times for the whole day. It just seemed odd to me. I'm wondering if he's having ear issues which are causing him to not want to suckle? I'm going to get him in to the vet today just in case but thought I'd see what kind of advice you all had! Oh! And my momma dog takes care of butt cleaning/stimulation. He pees every time he eats and started out pooping three times a day but now the last few days its been once per day. Also, poops are the consistency of rabbit poo....he does strain to go but no blood or anything like that! Thanks in advance for your help!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So he seems somewhat constipated. Possibly somewhat dehydrated.
I think you shall dilute the milk a little more. Preferably with pedialyte (clear flavorless pedialyte for children).
Such a pedialyte contains some glucose sugar and thus contains some calories, so he wont lose much by this extra dilution.

Also, you can smear some water with honey or Karo on his lips and gums before you feed him - it gives more energhy almost instantly.

Do you weigh him? Does he go up his 10+ grammes a day?

If not, you must feed him more.

Im not clear about dosages, you began with 0,75 tablespoon kmr every other hours, but it become more and more seldom.

Does it means, he gets less and less for every day??

Because in reality, he shall get more and more every day...

For constipation: bettre hydration should help. But you can also add two drops of coldpressed olive oil with each feeding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ange76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding. So, we went to the vet. First thing he said was the kitten was in great shape and weight, but he is most definitely constipated. He used a syringe with warm water and shot three syringes of water in his bum. He did poop and they were hard and only three pieces. He then used a long qtip and said he had it pretty well all the way in (to the point possible anyway). He said it seemed like the poop was backed up further up in his colon. He told me to give him 3-4 drops of dark karo syrup and instead of rubbing his bum or letting my momma dog lick, to hold him over the faucet and let warm water run on it. He said do this twice as long as we have been. He also said to increase belly rubs. And, he warned us that its very possible we are looking at some kind of internal blockage, and if that's the case odds aren't good at all. He said this could be the reason his momma abandoned him to begin with. But, he said he is in excellent shape otherwise so hopefully it was just constipation from formula. The next 24 hours will be the decider!!!! I'm praying this baby starts pooping, and quick! I'm wondering if using a little pedialyte in place of the water in his formula would be a good idea? Clarifying the feedings....he started out eating 1/2 tbsp of formula every two hours, Sunday he was up to 3/4 tbsp every 3.5-4 hours. Yesterday I noticed he wasn't eating as much at his feedings but he was also nursing from my momma dog so I was hoping he was still getting the same amount. The plan now is not to let him nurse until he is drinking 3/4 tbsp of formula, then he can nurse after that....this way I will know exactly how much he is eating (or at least that he's getting enough). I haven't weighed him, I didn't have a scale to do it with but the vet said he is not lacking in weight and is a healthy size for his age!

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Inteesting the vet recommended dark karo against constipation. I presume this is loosening in some way.
We here on the forum recommend food oil - for example coldpressed olive oil.
Minerale oil as next more potent step. The product sold in Usa with the label Minerale oil is more or less of food grade.

If you dilute the kmr more yes use pedialyte to dilute with.

Exactly what kmr do you use? Sometimes change of the kmr helps.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ange76 Ange76 very cool you're helping this little guy out!
Does his rear end look red, swollen, sore, etc?

Ange76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was using petlac (made by PetAg) and changed to KMR (also made by PetAg) on Monday. The only real difference is the KMR had higher crude protein and fat). The vet recommended I go back to the Petlac for 48 hours...then slowly mix the two formulas increasing the amount of KMR slowly until using full KMR. I just made a batch of pedialyte and will be using that in place of the water in his next feeding. I think I'll hold off on the oil for now, we don't want to end up with diarrhea!

Ange76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I've been rubbing is belly more vigorously. I'm now feeling something like bubbles in his belly, which I hadn't felt before...I'm hoping that's a good sign?!

Ange76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, hes got no redness or swelling other than swelling in his belly area.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, hes got no redness or swelling other than swelling in his belly area.
Good news, sometimes their little butts get inflamed and sore and it makes potty breaks uncomfortable.
Keeping my fingers crossed for this little guy! You're doing very well with him IMO.

Ange76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good news, sometimes their little butts get inflamed and sore and it makes potty breaks uncomfortable.
Keeping my fingers crossed for this little guy! You're doing very well with him IMO.
Thank you....I sure hope he pulls thru this! ;0(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Both these kmr are good.

Even if goats milk is often an alternative.

Just dilute the kmr more so you are sure he is well hydrated and the poo mass solves.

Ange76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on Harley!

I'm happy to sat he is doing great! It took about 32 hours before we saw poop after going to the vet, but....since then he's been going more frequently and they are getting a tiny bit softer each time! We have also started mixing the petcal and kmr to ease him into changing formulas. We are now up to half and half. He is also eating a LOT more than he was! He's up to about 5-6 tbsp in a 24 hour period. The only problem we seem to be having now are these darn bottle nipples. They work for a couple seconds then the pressure in the bottle builds up and nothing will come out. This morning I had to use a nipple that has a hole that's too big but at least the milk comes out. Well, he started choking a bit...I hope he didn't aspirate. I guess time will tell now! :0( nothing came out his nose, it just sounded like a deeper cough than it should have been. Ugh. I will end up having a nervous breakdown before I get this kitten raised up, I swear! Thank you all for you help, and support though! I'm so glad I stumbled across you all!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to try a different brand bottle/nipple. There are several different kinds on Amazon, and if you sign up for a free 30 trial of Amazon Prime you could get it in two days.

Ange76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually ordered miracle nipples today but they won't be here until Wednesday. :0( has anyone used them? I'm so worried about aspiration now. Am I stressing over nothing or should I be worried about that now. I'm wondering what signs I need to be watching for so at first symptom I can get him right back in to the vet! He did it again this afternoon too....breaks my heart that him eating could be hurting him. :0(

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a person who rescues kittens in YouTube, “Kitten Lady” and those are the nipples she uses. She does a lot of informational videos about feeding and caring for very young kittens. Definitely worth watching

Ange76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually have seen them and that's probably where I heard of them. I've been doing a lot of internet digging but couldn't find anything about others frustrated over nipples! Hopefully these new nipples will help!

There is a person who rescues kittens in YouTube, “Kitten Lady” and those are the nipples she uses. She does a lot of informational videos about feeding and caring for very young kittens. Definitely worth watching