10 year old does not get along with kitten

aqua315

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm a college student living with my mom and we have 2 cats, one that is 10 years old (Magic) who belongs to my mom, and one that is 10 months old (Jasper) who belongs to me. This past summer, we had 3 cats and we lost our oldest one Tiger to renal failure. Distraught, we found Jasper only a month later and fell in love with him. He loved to wrestle with our dogs and our 14 year old cat Amber was always so easy going that she didn't care when he pounced on her tail and he liked to cuddle up with her. Only 3 weeks later, tragedy struck again when Amber, due to a combination of depression from losing our other cat and an unknown bacterial infection, died at the vets after I rushed her there when I came home and found her barely breathing. Magic, who had always been a loner, didn't seem particularly affected by the loss but Jasper kept looking for her because she was the only cat who would tolerate him. I think he's forgotten about her by now but I'm forced to leave him in my room all the time because Magic wants nothing to do with him. She growls and hisses every time he gets near her. I plan on taking Jasper with me when I move out but it worries me that he doesn't have another cat to hang out with. I've tried to get Magic to get closer to Jasper but she runs away every time. I'm afraid if I force them, they'll end up fighting. Any suggestions of what I can do?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aqua315

I plan on taking Jasper with me when I move out but it worries me that he doesn't have another cat to hang out with.
Do you plan to get another cat to be with Jasper when you take him with you?

And you are right, you can't really force Magic or any other cat to do anything.
It's better to leave them alone and work it out themselves. Jasper will not die of loneliness. He has the dogs (are they still there?), you, toys... A young, active cat will find ways to entertain himself.