10 Year Old Cat with Urinary Issues - Vet Says Nothing is Wrong

Mary_M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat, 10 now, has a history with urinary issues. He had one full block in the past, and twice with crystals - partial blocks I guess.
A few weeks ago he had a UTI. He started acting up and pooped on his scratch board. Then he started licking himself quite a bit. Brought him to the vet and confirmed UTI. Well last night he started again. We licking his wewe quite a bit. Then he peed on my recliner. So once again, took him to the vet. This time the vet said nothing is wrong. Said it was just old age. Sent him home with some pain meds. Now I am not a vet obviously, but I find it hard to believe that old age causes a cat to lick himself incessantly and act uncomfortable. Has anyone else had an older cat that just did this. Doc wanted to put him on Prozac.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A cat who has repeated issues with crystals, up to and including a partial blockage is not one to be labeled as 'nothing wrong'. So, I am not a vet either, but I totally agree with you. What kind of tests have been run to determine the UTIs that he has had, and what were the results? What kind of diet is he on?

There are cases of what they call idiopathic cystitis, which are deemed to be of undetermined cause, but can cause UTIs and crystal formation. Has your vet ever discussed such situations with you?
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis - How To Improve Your Cat's Quality Of Life - TheCatSite Articles
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) - TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mary_M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is on Hills C/D for the most part. I say the most part because he is bored with it and will try to get to the other cat's food if someone lets him out of the bathroom before they finish eating. There were not special tests run. They looked under the scope is all. The vet did mention it could be idiopathic. I guess we can try the Prozac.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Moisture, moisture, moisture - the more the better! Hill's C/D is not the only urinary care food, and whatever he is eating should be canned/wet food due to the extra moisture.

Don't discount the other things to help with FIC/FLUTD and just resort to Prozac, but in the end that is your call.

sparkle801

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat, 10 now, has a history with urinary issues. He had one full block in the past, and twice with crystals - partial blocks I guess.
A few weeks ago he had a UTI. He started acting up and pooped on his scratch board. Then he started licking himself quite a bit. Brought him to the vet and confirmed UTI. Well last night he started again. We licking his wewe quite a bit. Then he peed on my recliner. So once again, took him to the vet. This time the vet said nothing is wrong. Said it was just old age. Sent him home with some pain meds. Now I am not a vet obviously, but I find it hard to believe that old age causes a cat to lick himself incessantly and act uncomfortable. Has anyone else had an older cat that just did this. Doc wanted to put him on Prozac.
I just replied to another post regarding urinary stoppage so am repeating here. My chiropractor recommended probiotics to people with urinary/bladder problems so I looked into probiotics for cats and found one at theholistichorse.com . It is a powder so I mixed in their wet food. Since my kitty (at 2 years old) had another blockage a couple weeks after the first, I knew I had to do something so started him on the probiotics. He lived to 19 without any more problems. I give it to all my cats now. I've tried others than the holistic horse, but they were too strong a smell and cats wouldn't eat their food.

Mary_M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just replied to another post regarding urinary stoppage so am repeating here. My chiropractor recommended probiotics to people with urinary/bladder problems so I looked into probiotics for cats and found one at theholistichorse.com . It is a powder so I mixed in their wet food. Since my kitty (at 2 years old) had another blockage a couple weeks after the first, I knew I had to do something so started him on the probiotics. He lived to 19 without any more problems. I give it to all my cats now. I've tried others than the holistic horse, but they were too strong a smell and cats wouldn't eat their food.

Mary_M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I will try.