10 week old kittens suckling each other suddenly/Rowdy behavior noticed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jet460

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 3 from the same litter.
They are inside only until they get much older.
They do everything together.
1-2 hours of romping, followed by 2 -3 hour group nap.
Lately they have been getting a little tool aggressive with each other, including doing the halloween cat pose.
Right now it's not serious fighting, but there is an occasional tuff cat meow.
I am retired and here with them all the time, so I break it up most of the time.
Dog whistle or water pistol work great.
I have normally kept single kittens over the years.
Very easy to keep mellow.
3 of them are kind of a bad influence on one another.
I am sure I am to blame for at least part of it, since I cannot stay up 24/7 and watch.
I do give them each lots of personal attention/petting, and well as a lot of group attention/petting.
They have a tall cat tower they love.
Lots of high places.
They are not fradey-cats. Not lap cats yet.

So, does a group of 3 ever calm down, or are their actions I need to take?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Enjoy this phase of kitten-hood! They are crazy like young teenagers right now, and will play fight and run around and explore and get into things like maniacs. It’s fun to watch, but can get nerve-wracking at times. It lasts until they are about a year old.

They also calm down more after being spayed and neutered, and you don’t want your boys mating with their sister, so please get all 3 fixed at around the 3-4 month mark. Do NOT wait any longer than that as their hormones start to come in, and believe it or not, kittens can get pregnant at 4 months old.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wanted to share a couple links on the discipline aspect of the squirt bottle as the links can explain it far better than I can lol

Also the kitties doing the Halloween pose can be them teaching and learning how to do it. I have personally seen a group of sibling kittens and I guess one of them figuref it out then the others picked up on it lol they were all 5 in the room spread out looking like Halloween kitties lol it was the cutest thing I had ever seen.

jet460

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 kittens 13 weeks old.
2 boys.
1 girl.
Great kids, but now have the bad habit of playing in the water dish.
I have one of the towers that auto fill the bowl.
I clean it daily, so the water is always good.
The slap at it until there is a giant puddle.
Not sure how to deal with that other than get rid of the tower.
Might have to until this ceases.

Hormones are ramping up, and they are super rowdy after morning feed.
Not mean, but they play hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have had adult cats who still touch the top of the water before they drink. It's like they can't tell where the surface starts or are checking depth perception or something. But of course if they touch the water they fling their wet paw. Water on a mat with a lip helps a bit. Keeping the bowl fresh is also a constant thing as paws in water is pretty gross. Hopefully they outgrow it though! Kittens are all about exploring and playing with everything!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put doggie pee pads under and around the water tower — easy cleanup while the kittens are still learning, exploring, and growing.

I had mine spayed and neutered at 12 weeks. Do you plan to set appointments soon for yours?

savannahjansson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your kittens are having a blast! 😄 You could try moving the water dish to a less playful area, like away from their play zone. Also, using a heavier, non-tip bowl might help. Good luck

jet460

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a tower and can't tip over. It's in the kitchen. The entire house is a play area. They are maniacs for real.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also try one of those boot trays with a raised edge to keep the water off the floor.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's a tower and can't tip over. It's in the kitchen. The entire house is a play area. They are maniacs for real.
I always say that when kittens are that wild, that usually means they're close to leaving time! 😅

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats never grow out of playing with the water dish. Indy still pushes her bowl halfway across the room leaving big puddles everywhere. It is vynal floor though soI'm not too concerned about the floor but often her dish is empty.

Indy also plays in the toilet if the lid gets left up.

jet460

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten Lemmy, a male about 15 weeks old is did not eat his dinner with the other 2 after a long nap.
He gulped water for about 5 minutes, and is now staring me in the face.
That is unusual for him.
If I set him down, he jumps right back and puts his face right in mine.
Is he telling me he doesn't feel well?
He's not moaning, and is purring.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Purring is not a good indicator of health. They purr for all sorts of reasons. If he did not eat his dinner, watch him closely for a little bit. Does he eat the next meal? Is he peeing and pooping? Playing as he normally would? Cats hide pain VERY well, so you'll have to look at other clues and what you know is his normal. It could just be something pretty simple, but good to start taking notes now in case he needs to see a vet.

jet460

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am here 24/7 and always watching them. They see the vet soon anyway.
But he seems normal otherwise.
He is the least playful of the 3.
Always has been.
Staring me down makes me concerned.