10 week old kitten attacking 13 year old cat

oldfarmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After two weeks, we have let our kitten out of her safe room after our adult female has gotten use to the smell. When the kitten comes out, the adult is fine unless the kitten invades the adult space or attacks her on her back. The adult is layed back and does not want the agravation in this point in her life. I think she was happy enough with just me and my wife. We got the kitten as an addition since we loss a 13 year old in January. We have two units of feliway running in the house. We put the kitten in her room at night.
She just will not leave the adult alone. We have used some water when the adult hisses to try to reinforce the message.
they do however eat treats within a foot of each other, but when the adult is eating, she is growling at the same time she is eating... it is a funny sound.
Our thoughts are, we made a mistake.. The kitten is so full of energy,,,like she is on speed. If the kitten does not bother the adult, the adult just watches. It just that we believe the adult has earned her respect and love in the house after 13 years. The kitten has to earn her respect in the family.
How long do we torchure the adult before we have to consider giving the kitten to another family. We love her to death and this would be the last resort.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can sympathise with your situation
and I dont think you've made a mistake. It all very new and strange for both cats.

I have just inherited a kitten, Teddy, he's been with us now about 3mths and is about 9mths old, but he's a little terror, full of beans and racing about like a mad 'un
I have 2 older ones both over 13 and a youngster.

But you know how young ones are, they have lots of energy and are learning new skills all the time. Play time is an important part of the learning cycle and if there is no litter mates to play with then, well the nearest cat will do
Also you say you've let the kitten into a new environment, so that will be all new and different to.

I have learnt that time and patience is the key to helping young and older kitties to get along. Routine is also an important factor.

If Teddy is too much for any of my cats, he has some time out in his own room. Its not a punishment, it just to help him calm down and give the others some peace and quiet. He has all the necessary things in his room and its warm and safe, so I know he's ok. Most time he knows the routine and just goes for a sleep

I do not always break up spats as they all have to learn to live with each other, but I do keep my eye on how things are going. If its gets too much I gentle pick Teddy up and tell him NO in a firm voice and move him away.

Another important point is to make sure your oldest cat still gets plenty of attention. For example, 2 of my cats sleep with us at the moment and I am sure Teddy would if I would let him, but I see that as special for my other cats, so Teddy goes into his own room at night time.

So keep on with the introduction and I am sure in time that they will settle to a way of being with each other

Keep us posted !

p.s try other things than water, have a tin of pebbles to rattle at kitty, clap your hands or hiss like a moma cat would.......a lot better than water !

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!
!........

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)
Good Question your´s....
...Milky is a five years old male and Catu 1 year old we adopt to her on January of this year...But until this moment Milky doesn´t accept to complete to Catu in order that he still hissing to her....
..( Maybe he thinks that she want to steal his toys and food or else...but is not true...
...) But certainly the proccess to accept to each other is working!
.... Once someone say" LOTS and LOTS of Patience with the cats" and is true.......The adaptation comes when the cats want to do!...

See you on the forums!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi & welcome to TCS!
It's great that you've joined us!

If you have any questions, or need any help as you navigate around the site, please feel free to click on my username and send me a private message. I'll be happy to help.

See you around the forums!

I know you probably won't consider this, but have you thought about getting another kitten around the same age? That way the kittens will play together, and will probably leave your older one alone, for the most part?