10 Month Old Male Kitten, Social Problems?

sophiegray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My 10 month old kitten isn't as affectionate as he used to be, we have noticed this over the last few months. He can sometimes be extremely vocal as if he is crying for something in particular, but even after a bit of playtime, fuss or food he can still start crying again. My partner and I work full time, and make sure we give him attention as soon as we are back and in the mornings. He's an indoor cat, we live in a first floor flat but currently have no desire to make him an outdoor cat even in the future. He has a cat tree, plenty of ball toys and has access to patio doors and windows to look outside which he does enjoy. Is there something we are missing that he needs? Is this normal behaviour? He used to sleep on our bed next to us, sleep on the sofa near us and even on our laps, he hasn't done this in months! We have talked about getting a female kitten as a companion for him, he's recently been castrated so this could be a possibility in a month or so. We do feel that perhaps he just likes his own space and that is his personality, but ultimately we just wanted to ensure he's getting everything he needs to be most fulfilled.

Thanks!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If he was neutered recently, he may still have some hormones that are making him restless. Other than that as a teenage cat he may just be going through a stage. I would try giving him some puzzle type toys to occupy him. There are great ones where the cat needs to move a door or a lever to get a treat. It may also help to try out some other new toys for him -cat springs, foam balls, mice that he can toss and chase.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, teenagers, no matter what species they are, are never easy. They yell, they knock things over, they drive us nuts! susanm9006 susanm9006 has given you some excellent ideas, though. If you don't have any, wand toys are GREAT! You can wear them right out with those, to the point that they just quit and lie there panting for a minute or two. Of course, with a cat that age, you'll be in about the same shape. And they can be addictive. I can't tell you how often I've tried to read a book only to have Hekitty drag her Da Bird over and plop it in my lap!

NyxHemera45

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both my present female cat and my male cat in the past were like that when they were in there one year to two year mark
Presently my female cat is very vocal and acts crazy around her other cat family (my parents cats) they just got brand new kittens and she'll try to play with them like older kittens and then when they don't play back with her now hisses at them, just like my parents older cat used to do to her when she was a kitten. ( it's a very crazy cat family. Lol )
They tend to grow out of it the male cat it took him years to grow out of it hopefully my female kitten that I have now doesn't take as long

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me it sounds like he's hormonal. 10 months is the right age for it. If he was recently neutered the hormone levels should be dropping and he should ease up within a month or so.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
10 month is provably the "teen" phase. It's hard but it'll pass. Hang in there they will try your patience, he jerks, destroy stuff and snub you till it breaks your heart. Laugh it off WILL pass.