10 Month Old Kitten Won't Stop Chasing 3 Month Old Kitten

Mrs.Whiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am new to this site and am really looking for advice. I live in an apartment and adopted a 4 month old kitten (now around 10 months old) in January. Her name is Kitticita. I do not know what her kitten-hood was like before I adopted her from a shelter. All I know is that she had not been socialized with humans yet. I was originally her foster mom (tasked with helping her to adjust to human contact) and had great success in getting her used to me. She is such a sweetie with people now (runs up to them, loves being pet, sits and sleeps on laps, etc). That is why I ended up adopting her.

I wanted to have two cats, and I felt that it would be best to get Kitticita accustomed to another cat while she is still a kitten. I also thought she was less likely to be threatened by a younger, smaller kitten, so I adopted Baby (haven't thought of a better name yet).

While Baby has been socialized with other cats (she was with her siblings when I adopted her), Kitticita probably was not. I introduced the two cats slowly (kept them in separate rooms for a few days, switched bedding, opened the door a crack, used a baby gate, etc) until Kitticita stopped hissing and growling and they were regularly calmly sniffing each other. I have been letting them interact under close (very close) supervision, but every time Kitticita even sees Baby, she runs and chases her under the sofa, the bed, a chair, the shower curtain, whatever is available for baby to hide under. It is very frustrating! I have tried keeping Kitticita at bay, scolding her, etc, but she only has eyes for Baby. She slinks after her and stares at her with dilated pupils. It is getting to the point where if poor Baby sees Kitticita she immediately runs for cover. There is only peace when they are in separate rooms, but Kitticita starts crying and pushing at whatever door she is closed behind if I am spending time with Baby in another room.

Help!

P.S. Both cats are spayed and I have been using a Feliway Multi-cat diffuser for about a week, although I am really not seeing any results with that.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 10 month old's behavior is actually totally normal. She wants to play. She would not actually hurt the 4 month old. It is also pretty common for a smaller kitten to squeal when a bigger cat plays a bit too hard, and to try and avoid the bigger cat. Maybe you have a somewhat extreme version of this, but its is a totally normal scenario.

With that in mind, don't scold the bigger cat. It isn't going to work. Feliway isn't likely to work either, but can't hurt to keep going. Feliway isn't going to do anything vis-a-vis the older cat, because this isn't an aggression issue -- its normal play. Maybe it will help the kitten some with anxiety, but remember, the kitten is probably acting this way because the big cat is playing a bit too rough -- i.e. its not just anxiety.

So what do you do? The answer may be uncomfortable for you -- you have to let them work it out. If you don't always separate them, eventually the 10 month old will get it out of his system and there will non-play interactions. The kitten will become more confident around the 10 month old, and run away only when play initiates. As the kitten gets bigger, they may play on a more equal basis.

It is ok if the kitten squeals a little. This is hard for many people to accept. But the squealing is akin to a big brother giving little brother an Indian sunburn -- its not nice, but it won't do any damage. And while stopping it sounds logical, things may actually settle down faster if you let the big cat get the play out of his system so the cats can have non-play interactions as well. This normally results in the kitten being willing to hang with the big cat until and unless the big cat starts chasing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrs.Whiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your help! The good news is that there isn't much hissing (and no squealing that I have heard) going on. But I try to separate them pretty quickly. I would be more willing to let them work it out if I knew that the little kitten could get to the litter box or water bowl if she wants to. Any advice on that end? Or perhaps I should let them stay together longer than I normally would before separating them so they can take care of other needs and calm down?

Also, I am worried that the little kitten will be afraid to come out of her room if she is chased every time she tries...

Thanks again!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are always extreme versions of the common scenarios. If you let them try to work it out, and the big cat won't calm down and the little one is afraid to eat or use the box, then sure, that is obviously something different and will require more intervention on your part. But that would be somewhat rare. If you let them try to work it out, my guess is that things will settle in along more common lines.

Your right of course about the subject of concern. Most people mistakenly think the issue is the kitten getting physically hurt. It isn't. Any injuries are accidents, rare and usually minor (scratches). You correctly understand that your watching his mental state, and whether he is so freaked out that he is just constantly hiding and won't eat/use the box.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help! The good news is that there isn't much hissing (and no squealing that I have heard) going on. But I try to separate them pretty quickly. I would be more willing to let them work it out if I knew that the little kitten could get to the litter box or water bowl if she wants to. Any advice on that end? Or perhaps I should let them stay together longer than I normally would before separating them so they can take care of other needs and calm down?

Also, I am worried that the little kitten will be afraid to come out of her room if she is chased every time she tries...

Thanks again!
For starters there should be at least 2 litterboxes, if not 3. The general rule is 1 per cat plus one more.

I also agree that this it totally normal behavior from the older kitten. The younger one will eventually stand her ground as she gets older and they will work it out between themselves. They need to do this, they need to establish who is dominant in the house. Just let them be when you are home. Maybe separate them when you leave at first. They should be fine.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh how old is Baby? If she is under 16 weeks and still needs vaccinated, the older one may hiss at her all over again each time she comes back from the vet. And vice versa as they get older. The pick up a lot of strange smells when they are at the vet, plus the stress, so be aware of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrs.Whiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow thank you for all the advice everyone! Much appreciated. There are two litter boxes and the cats eat in separate rooms. Baby is 3 months old and has been vaccinated recently. The vet said she is good for another year.

Anyway, I will try to let them figure things out and will see how that goes.

Thanks again!

• Purraise
Reactions: jen