10 month old cat won’t eat vet is stumped

Farley’sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!
In the beginning of January I trapped a feral kitten that lived in the barn across the street from my house. I had been feeding him fancy feast canned food at night for many months. He was so terrified I never thought I would be able to get him in the house because he would run from my voice through the door. but one day he showed up with a degloved and dangling tail and I knew I had to help.
i trapped him and brought him to the vet for a tail amputation and exam. His presurgery blood work looked good, however he had 4 types of parasites, including lung worm. He came home with me to recover and he quickly became extremely affectionate! It took him a monthof treatment to become parasite free. In that month he gained weight, tail healed and he started to become part of the family. His appetite has always been perfect, even through all the medications and stress.
I did try to wean him off of the fancy feast although he still gets a little. I feed him all wet food, weruva and tiki cat. No fish flavors. I’ve had several kidney cats and I didn’t want to risk another.

Fast forward to halfway through February. He had a couple days where he seemed progressively less interested in food, but then recovered. I was giving him a few crunchies at night as a snack. Literally maybe 9-10 tiny pieces. He got gassy and diarrhea that lasted a couple days so I took the crunchies away completely. The gassiness persisted so I had another fecal done to recheck parasites and bacteria and it was clear. I chalked it up to the crunchies and gave it another week. I added in a probiotic/digestive enzyme blend called optagest that worked for my other kitties for this issue for many years. The diarrhea went away and the appetite dropped again for another couple days. Now it was starting to become a pattern. He threw up one morning half digested wet food an hour and a half after eating. The weather warmed up and o thought, maybe he’s swallowing too much fur. So I started brushing daily and giving him hairball gel. He has never coughed up a hairball, but I broke apart one of his bowel movements and it was basically a giant hairball coated in poop.

okay. So I figured maybe he has a little gastritisnow from the hair. However, the appetite is now getting worse and worse. He vomited on another morning same story. I tried a novel protein diet but it makes no difference because he is definitely chronically nauseated. I’ve seen it in my other cats, the meowing for food, running up to the bowl and backing away like it’s poison. So I’ve been cracking multiple cans and trying tiny meals, warming, hand feeding, baby food, I’ve tried it all. Some days he’s fine and eats and the next will eat nothing. He keeps the food down, just wants nothing to do with it. He’s sleeping a bit more but in between is still playing hard, and we play for hours a day.

Hehas Been urinating larger puddles too, so I took him back to the vet. He’d lost almost one pound. He started out at 4.5 the day of rescue, got up to 8.6, and went down to 7.6 in about a week and a half. His urine was a bit concentrated and had a couple crystals. And his liver values were elevated by one point, but not enough for the vet to be concerned. He is having regular bowel movements and Shows no signs of kidney issues. He is going in for an ultrasound on Monday to check everything . The vet thinks maybe ibd,possibly relating to a food allergy? They test for those but not under a year old.
mom really at a loss and have been syringe feeding him which I know how to do as I volunteer wildlife rehab and feed babies this way regularly.
He’s getting the calories and hydration and perks up after and wants to play, he just won’t eat on his own. I’m terribly stressed and am unemployed and am a full time non paid caregiver for my grandma with dementia, who still lives in her own home. I’m spending 75 a week on food and throwing most of it away. I don’t know what else to do to help this little guy. Any ideas? Help!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's not much that you are not doing until you get some test results! IF this is IBD, we've had a LOT of members who have been and are dealing with it. This is a search of threads about IBD in cats: (462) Search Results for Query: IBD/search/ | TheCatSite I hope that their experiences will help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Farley’sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I would post his blood work results, but they haven’t been added to the vet portal yet. I’m just concerned that if it’s IBD the ultrasound won’t show any changes yet, as he’s so young. About 10 months old. It’s $500 and I don’t think I’ll be able to afford another one for a few months so I hope whatever is causing this shows up and we can deal with it in the early stages

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you go through with the ultrasound, please ask about a fine needle aspiration (FNA) cytology if they see anything suspicious. The FNA is just fluids/tissue that they can then analyze for possible additional information. It will cost more (unless it is already included in the quote you received) but can be very helpful in certain situations.

Does the vet have him on anti-nausea meds (and, maybe an appetite stimulant), just to see if that might make him more inclined to eat on his own? Since you said you're familiar with nausea in cats, then you know it can happen without being followed by vomiting.

I presume they ran tests for various viruses before he was given any vaccinations (FeLV, FIV, FCoV)?

Farley’sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They gave me Cerenia to have on hand for nausea, but it actually seems to make him more nauseous. It’s never worked for any of my cats. I’ve tried the stimulant before as well with no results. Today he is eating great on his own. It seems to be an every other day issue with the non eating.

Farley’sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They also gave a probiotic but I’m hesitant to try it because they seem to make him worse on them as well. Fortiflora makes him sicker (and he hates it) not sure what the prescribed one is but I pick it up later today

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Fortiflora makes him sicker (and he hates it) not sure what the prescribed one is but I pick it up later today
FortiFlora isn't really much of a probiotic, tbh - it's more of a food enticer, but apparently not for your kitten! A lot of folks on this site seem to like saccharomyces boulardii, but I am sure you probably know more about it than I do given I have never used it!!!

Farley’sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve used it for myself for ibs but not tried it on him yet. It seems like it’s for diarrhea mostly but now he has normal stools, so not sure if I should add. He seems to have an issue with brewers yeast and I’m allergic to most yeasts but if he gets diarrhea again I might give it a go

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been tested for pancreatitis? It is a common side effect of chronic vomiting. Unfortunately, it is not a commonly requested blood test. A lot of vets overlook it. Perhaps when he goes in for the ultrasound, they can also take another blood sample and send it for the pancreatitis testing. The test is called fPL or fPLI.

S. boulardii is a yeast-based probiotic that survives antibiotics. It's good for controlling diarrhea, especially that caused by antibiotics. It is also non-colonizing meaning its effect wears off shortly after you stop giving it. So it's a great spot treatment.

Two probiotics I recommend are Proviable (this is probably what your vet will send you home with) and Pet Flora from Vitality Science. This one is soil based so it's supposed to survive the stomach better than other probiotics. But it does look like dirt and may be a tough one to get into him if he's not eating well. Then again, if you are syringe feeding him, you can put it in the syringe with the food.

I recommend getting the Finnicky Cat Trial Pack here with the Pet Flora probiotic as one of the five samples. The other four I would recommend would all be helpful for either IBD or pancreatitis: Feline Comfort (Feline Comfort Plus if the diarrhea is chronic, else you can use other things to manage the diarrhea), Luxolite, Lithothamnium (this is very useful for drying up diarrhea), and a wildcard (maybe Super Food or Celloquent.) I would start with the Pet Flora and the Feline Comfort in much smaller doses than they recommend. Bump up the dose as it is tolerated. Contact their customer service. They reply to emails within a day and can help guide you with their products as well as make some suggestions you can take to your vet. It's a bit of trial and error with these which is why I recommend the trial pack.

Finicky Cat Trial Pack - Vitality Science

If it is pancreatitis, you'll want to feed him smaller meals more often. You want to feed him through it. But you'll be going up against discomfort and possibly pain. The Vitality Science supplements can help make his gut feel better. But simply asking it to do less work but more often will also help it heal. And it's more important that he eats a food that he likes than one that you like. If he likes FF, you may have to go back to that. Or mix it with a higher quality food like I am doing for my Betty. She gets a 50/50 mix of Fancy Feast and Rawz. This seems to be a hit with her because she eats it more willingly than either alone and doesn't seem to yell at me as often (possibly indicating that she's finally eating her fill rather than nibbling her way through her day.)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
..., as he’s so young. About 10 months old. ...
... Today he is eating great on his own. It seems to be an every other day issue with the non eating.
F Farley’sMom
Has he had a good dental check-up? Most kittens get all of their adult teeth in by about 6-8 months, and I think it's a good idea to get a thorough dental check-up by about 8-9 months to make sure that all the teething issues have resolved well and that his new set of teeth are good to go. Sometimes things go awry, plus there could be gum inflammation for whatever reason, and that itself could be a cause for fussy eating.

I'm not sure about the vomiting... but I guess I'd make special note of the foods he eats most regularly with no issues, and avoid the ones that seems to "result" in vomiting or food avoidance. (You've probably done that, though.) Hopefully the ultrasound will help highlight any issues.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
So I’ve been cracking multiple cans and trying tiny meals, warming, hand feeding, baby food, I’ve tried it all. Some days he’s fine and eats and the next will eat nothing. He keeps the food down, just wants nothing to do with it.
Along with all the excellent thoughts posted above, I wondered if there might be something in this that could be helpful - hang in there, he is so lucky to have you on his side!

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Farley’sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
F Farley’sMom
Has he had a good dental check-up? Most kittens get all of their adult teeth in by about 6-8 months, and I think it's a good idea to get a thorough dental check-up by about 8-9 months to make sure that all the teething issues have resolved well and that his new set of teeth are good to go. Sometimes things go awry, plus there could be gum inflammation for whatever reason, and that itself could be a cause for fussy eating.

I'm not sure about the vomiting... but I guess I'd make special note of the foods he eats most regularly with no issues, and avoid the ones that seems to "result" in vomiting or food avoidance. (You've probably done that, though.) Hopefully the ultrasound will help highlight any issues.
He hasn’t had a thorough exam, but I asked them to do one during the ultrasound. At a glance on this last visit they said his teeth and mouth looked good no sores or inflammation they could tell.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m glad you’re getting an ultrasound. My poor Freya, who is 2, is currently in the ER. Ive been taking her to the vet almost every two weeks and it’s a long story, but she was misdiagnosed. Anyhow, we FINALLY have an answer as to why she has been so reluctant to eat and she has been vomiting so much. The pyloric sphincter between her tummy and her intestines is hardened, and so things aren’t passing through her GI system the way they should. We are going to try to manage her with medications, but if that doesn't work she may need surgery. I hope this isn’t what is wrong with your kitty, but I thought I’d mention it because it took so long for my girl to get a proper diagnosis. They tried feeding her tonight at ER and she ate a very small amount, but I’m taking that as a good sign.
I hope you get answers from the ultrasound, and I hope your kitty feels better very soon!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi again, just a quick note that you might not have seen my post above (I think we were typing at the same time). Hopefully it is of help to you.

Carolyn C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!
In the beginning of January I trapped a feral kitten that lived in the barn across the street from my house. I had been feeding him fancy feast canned food at night for many months. He was so terrified I never thought I would be able to get him in the house because he would run from my voice through the door. but one day he showed up with a degloved and dangling tail and I knew I had to help.
i trapped him and brought him to the vet for a tail amputation and exam. His presurgery blood work looked good, however he had 4 types of parasites, including lung worm. He came home with me to recover and he quickly became extremely affectionate! It took him a monthof treatment to become parasite free. In that month he gained weight, tail healed and he started to become part of the family. His appetite has always been perfect, even through all the medications and stress.
I did try to wean him off of the fancy feast although he still gets a little. I feed him all wet food, weruva and tiki cat. No fish flavors. I’ve had several kidney cats and I didn’t want to risk another.

Fast forward to halfway through February. He had a couple days where he seemed progressively less interested in food, but then recovered. I was giving him a few crunchies at night as a snack. Literally maybe 9-10 tiny pieces. He got gassy and diarrhea that lasted a couple days so I took the crunchies away completely. The gassiness persisted so I had another fecal done to recheck parasites and bacteria and it was clear. I chalked it up to the crunchies and gave it another week. I added in a probiotic/digestive enzyme blend called optagest that worked for my other kitties for this issue for many years. The diarrhea went away and the appetite dropped again for another couple days. Now it was starting to become a pattern. He threw up one morning half digested wet food an hour and a half after eating. The weather warmed up and o thought, maybe he’s swallowing too much fur. So I started brushing daily and giving him hairball gel. He has never coughed up a hairball, but I broke apart one of his bowel movements and it was basically a giant hairball coated in poop.

okay. So I figured maybe he has a little gastritisnow from the hair. However, the appetite is now getting worse and worse. He vomited on another morning same story. I tried a novel protein diet but it makes no difference because he is definitely chronically nauseated. I’ve seen it in my other cats, the meowing for food, running up to the bowl and backing away like it’s poison. So I’ve been cracking multiple cans and trying tiny meals, warming, hand feeding, baby food, I’ve tried it all. Some days he’s fine and eats and the next will eat nothing. He keeps the food down, just wants nothing to do with it. He’s sleeping a bit more but in between is still playing hard, and we play for hours a day.

Hehas Been urinating larger puddles too, so I took him back to the vet. He’d lost almost one pound. He started out at 4.5 the day of rescue, got up to 8.6, and went down to 7.6 in about a week and a half. His urine was a bit concentrated and had a couple crystals. And his liver values were elevated by one point, but not enough for the vet to be concerned. He is having regular bowel movements and Shows no signs of kidney issues. He is going in for an ultrasound on Monday to check everything . The vet thinks maybe ibd,possibly relating to a food allergy? They test for those but not under a year old.
mom really at a loss and have been syringe feeding him which I know how to do as I volunteer wildlife rehab and feed babies this way regularly.
He’s getting the calories and hydration and perks up after and wants to play, he just won’t eat on his own. I’m terribly stressed and am unemployed and am a full time non paid caregiver for my grandma with dementia, who still lives in her own home. I’m spending 75 a week on food and throwing most of it away. I don’t know what else to do to help this little guy. Any ideas? Help!!
Try Fancy Feast with tsp of Pumpkin Powder in it.
I had the same problem, they started eating it.

Farley’sMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try Fancy Feast with tsp of Pumpkin Powder in it.
I had the same problem, they started eating it.
Thanks! I actually tried this and unfortunately didn’t make a difference, but he doesn’t have diarrhea at all anymore. It was only for a couple days. The main issue seems to be nausea/struggling to eat. He’s been ravenous the last couple days though!

Kayladipilato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! Did you ever find out what was going on? My nine month old kitten is having a very similar issue and even after the ultrasound the vet isn’t sure what the problem is.