10 month kitten, soft stool, sneezing

5DH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First post here but I have long enjoyed reading the threads in this community!

We adopted a kitten at around 5-6 months old and unfortunately the rescue didn't give us a heads up that the poor guy has some bowel issues (not that I blame them, they have their hands full). Essentially his stools are very mushy/soft (although not diarrhea, they do have a shape) to the point that he almost always has some poop on his anus (not his fur). Understandably, he hates when we try to wipe him off! I would say 1/3 of the time there's no problem, and the other 2/3rds he has some residue. To make things worse, he seems totally uninterested in cleaning that particular area so he'll walk around with crusted feces for days. The good news is that we've had him for 4 months now and what used to be liquid residue is now a more solid residue which doesn't transfer as easily to surfaces he sits on. I am crossing every bone in my body hoping the improvement will continue and that it's just a kitten thing that he'll grow out of as he approaches the 1 year old mark (he's about 9 months now).

The vet determined he's in good health after an exam and stool sample, and wanted to troubleshoot his diet. We transitioned him from Purina One Indoor to Purina One Sensitive Skin & Stomach to Hill's GI Biome Prescription Diet, no major changes across the board. After a month on the Hill's, we're now transitioning him to Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach formula with no corn/wheat/soy additives mostly because we did not see any improvement with the Hill's after a month and the little guy didn't like the food much. We did an extremely slow 2 week transition and he's been on the Purina Pro 100% for 3 days now. It's been no major change to his bowel issue (but thankfully hasn't gotten any worse). I recognize it will likelytake more than 3 days to see results. But the vet doesn't really know the issue he's just having us try different foods.

To make things more complicated, I'm not sure if litter could be causing any problems. We switched his litter from Frisco to Arm & Hammer Cloud Control because Frisco was pretty lousy at containing smell, clumping, and tracking. The first couple of days he was fine but now I'm noticing him sneezing for no reason (several hours after he last used the litter box), or not quite a sneeze but a big exhale. He seems totally content otherwise, high energy, eating and drinking well. He's indoor only so I can't imagine it's a respiratory infection but I suppose stranger things have happened.

I'm just at the point where I'm confused as to what could be making things worse, what could be coincidence (sneezing?) and how to help the guy. Worst case he's still upset by the food and sensitive to the litter somehow.

Wondering if anyone has experience here and can make a recommendation. I'm sticking with the food for at least 2 months since he has had so many changes. Perhaps I should try some high fiber (hairball) supplements to firm his stools up? And/or move to a litter free of scents/dyes? I fully recognize these two issues might be unrelated.

Sorry that this post is all over the place.

SammiLeeGrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! By any chance does your cat have IBS? I know my friends cat does and the vet put her on a specific diet that’s only chicken flavored. I don’t know the name of the brand but I can definitely find out for you. Also all the cat foods were doing the same exact thing to my kitten and then I switched him to Whole Hearted grain free all life stages wet food in the different flavors and his fecal matter became normal. I use the whole hearted dry food as well! Hope that helps!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think, given, given his history, that the two probably are unrelated. There are any number of dust-free litters that you can try. I've found a corncob litter that is totally (99.9%, and I've never seen dust) dust free, clumps well, and does a nice job of odor control.

As for the tummy, it could well be the grains, and another few weeks would tell you that, or he may be allergic to a protein...which means more time, and trying novel proteins. Things like duck, venison, rabbit. They often clear things up. Chicken, BTW, is one of the main protein allergens in cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

5DH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! By any chance does your cat have IBS? I know my friends cat does and the vet put her on a specific diet that’s only chicken flavored. I don’t know the name of the brand but I can definitely find out for you. Also all the cat foods were doing the same exact thing to my kitten and then I switched him to Whole Hearted grain free all life stages wet food in the different flavors and his fecal matter became normal. I use the whole hearted dry food as well! Hope that helps!
Thanks! I'll take note of this brand. I don't want to get to a place where I'm not seeing improvement due to changing foods too often... I suspect if his system is super sensitive, that he might just take longer to adjust to new food as well. I talked to the vet about this and he said whatever food we switch him too next, give it 2 full months before attempting to change again.

In terms of IBS, when I looked up the symptoms of IBS, he has none of them so I don't think that's it. (Diarrhea, bloating, gas, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting... he has none of that). A food allergy is more likely.

I am thinking of trying to give him some Glandex supplement, which is basically just fiber.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

5DH

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As for the tummy, it could well be the grains, and another few weeks would tell you that, or he may be allergic to a protein...which means more time, and trying novel proteins. Things like duck, venison, rabbit. They often clear things up. Chicken, BTW, is one of the main protein allergens in cats.
OK thanks for this! Unfortunately even the Purina Pro Sensitive food has "chicken meal" in the ingredients - including the Lamb & Rice formula where Chicken Meal is the 3rd or 4th ingredient. Frustrating if you're trying to limit the proteins. So after my 2 months on this food, if no help, I'll have to really try to find a brand with more limited ingredients. Both my cats hated the Hill's food so badly, I would love to keep them in the Purina food family but I recognize that's not always possible. Any recommendations to look into?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check our forum on feeding and nutrition. There may be something there. There's something there on almost everything to do with cats and eating.