1-year old neutered male trying to forcibly mate with 4-month old cat

meshmesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Or that what it looks like. About 3 days ago, i heard the 4-month old cat/kitten hissing and a civil war started between my 4 cats (two 1-year olds, male and female; and two 4-month olds, also a male and a female)! Over time I noticed that the male tries to hold the kitten by the neck and she resists and hisses. He sometimes has the same problem with the bigger female cat but he can't overpower her. Why is he acting like this and what can I do to restore peace? HELP!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
At four months old the kitten is probably going to start her first heat cycle soon. This is probably what is making the older cat try to mate with her. Even neutered male cats will try with a female cat in heat. The first thing you should do is get the two younger kittens fixed.

Scruffing is a sign of dominance. My neutered males do it to each other and the spayed females. When the kitten gets big enough to fight him off he'll try to do it less often. Adult female cats usually boss the boys around, she'll soon put him in his place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meshmesh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was beginning to suspect this was the case. Thanks so much for the valuable info.

Should I get them fixed at this age, 4 months old? 

and yeah, the small one is mild and loving but feisty and wouldn't be dominated :) I'm proud of her.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'd definitely get them spayed/neutered.  The sooner the better, especially considering things are hotting up! 4 months is fine.