1 year old female throwing litter every where

kim81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so my cat has always gone outside since 6 month never use to do it but since keeping her in in last stages of pregnancy and since having kittens she been using litter box only making a little bit of mess but since having the kittens shes throwing it every where to the point its in piles and moreless empty its non clumping litter ive tried putting more and less in she will go in there I know she needs a toilet just throws it out squats gets up real quick to throw more around then gets out does this every day and will only actually go to toilet in it when shes despite but was using it fine before the kittens are there any solutions? also she don't cover up her urine or poo anymore its just becoming a nightmare now she scared of hoover I have no idea why and will wee and poo herself so im constantly having to bring her into the kitchen to hoover the bedroom 3-5 times  and I don't like removing her from the kittens but I have young children and cant just leave litter laying around until she decides to come down stairs  any solutions would be great and also any tips on making her not afraid of the hoover she never use to be when she was a kitten only been going on since I got my new hoover month before xmas but didn't really notice it was a problem as she was out most of the time

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, first, since this sounds like a new behavior, has she been checked for a medical issue?

Separate from that, have you tried clumping litter?

How big is the box? Maybe she is telling you she wants a bigger box?

Can you move her to a room where there is not carpet so you won't have to use the hoover to clean up? Is it possible it is the carpet that is attracting her? Some cats like it as a peeing surface but won't do the same on a tile floor for whatever reason.

Some kitties just like the throw litter around some.  Mine are messy with the litter too (though not this messy, fortunately) and I have to sweep up after them at least weekly.  I know it can be rough.

Good luck getting to the root of this.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good advice. Also, she is afraid of the Hoover, partly because she has kittens and partly because it makes a different noise than the one you replaced. There could be an ultrasonic whine that hurts her hearing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kim81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she dosnt pee on the floor or anything like that just throws clean litter all over the place I don't know if its coz shes young she showing the kittens there only 2 weeks old tho so wouldn't fort she would start yet? I have been told clumping litter is a bad idea with kittens and to have food bowl and litter tray all close to her nests the only tile surface I have is in the bathroom im going to try that but bit concerned that she wont go that far from her nest only other thing I can thing Is changing the litter maybe looking for another type? but she more than likely still going to throw it every where I just don't understand why my male cat never did this or made the amount of noise scratching as she does and always covered up anything he done in his box and ive got a large litter tray ill have look in different shop to see if there large is bigger than one I have but she has more than enough room to do her business with out making that much mess when shes gone to toilet outside she don't dig through the mud like that and will cover it up

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For sure do not get clumping litter because it is very dangerous for the kittens. Unfortunately some cats really love to dig- my male love to make a mess. A lot of people do not like covered litter boxes on here but I do find it decreases some of the mess from digging. I have a litter robot and my digger makes less of a mess with that because it is almost all enclosed. I would also suggest getting a DustBuster they are not very noisey and my cat who hates the big vacuum is fine with the DustBuster- I just keep it by the litter box in case he kicks any out. I also use a rug as runner up and around the litter box to catch any stray litter to prevent tracking.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For sure do not get clumping litter because it is very dangerous for the kittens. Unfortunately some cats really love to dig- my male love to make a mess. A lot of people do not like covered litter boxes on here but I do find it decreases some of the mess from digging. I have a litter robot and my digger makes less of a mess with that because it is almost all enclosed. I would also suggest getting a DustBuster they are not very noisey and my cat who hates the big vacuum is fine with the DustBuster- I just keep it by the litter box in case he kicks any out. I also use a rug as runner up and around the litter box to catch any stray litter to prevent tracking.
Nothing wrong with a covered box, if the cat will use it :) I think a lot of people's issue with them is many cats dislike them and so it's a somewhat risky investment.  It didn't occur to me as I don't and have never had a covered box, but in the OP's case this is actually a decent idea.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing wrong with a covered box, if the cat will use it :) I think a lot of people's issue with them is many cats dislike them and so it's a somewhat risky investment.  It didn't occur to me as I don't and have never had a covered box, but in the OP's case this is actually a decent idea.
Interesting some cats dislike them mine actually won't use uncovered ones- they like their privacy :)

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting some cats dislike them mine actually won't use uncovered ones- they like their privacy
You're lucky I think.  I'm tempted to try it but after the disaster that occurred when I dared to change the type of litter they were using I'm not sure I want to risk it