1 Year Old Female Cat Pooping And Peeing Outside Of Box

PerfectlySaneCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

About 2 weeks ago, Cinnabon started pooping and peeing outside of her box. There is only ONE spot that she goes to, a corner of the house.

I've read a ton of info online, and here's some more relevant stuff about her situation:

1) Her box is on the 2nd floor, in a private, quiet area of the bathroom, is always very clean and is the biggest box I could find online (she's also a very small cat). After she started going in the corner, I dumped out all the old litter, thoroughly cleaned out the box, and poured in all fresh litter. She still doesn't use it.

2) The corner she uses is on the first floor, so I added a 2nd box to the first floor bathroom. She still goes in the corner.

3) No blood in the urine or poop, and she never seems like she's straining or in pain. No increased frequency in urination.

4) The litter is the odorless wheat kind. She's been using it for a year with no issue (up until now).

5) No change in behavior otherwise. No other cats to bother her in the house.

I have a vet appointment for this weekend to rule out any health issues but she's only 1 so it can't be anything too bad right? It's just frustrating because I don't know what's going on! Anyone want to chime in with support or ideas?:cloudy:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PerfectlySaneCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she spayed? Has anything else changed in your house?
Yes, she's spayed. No, nothing's changed. The only thing I can think of is that we've had guests over a few times, but that's happened before as well and she's been fine with it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's her diet like? Is she getting enough canned food? My cats get poop and pee problems if I give them too much dry food. They still get some, just under half a cup.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you cleaned the place she has been peeing with an enzyme cleaner? If not, she can still smell it. Something like Nature's Miracle will remove the odor. A black light would reveal if she's peeing anywhere else in the house. I'd rule out a UTI before working on behavioral remedies. It's great that you already have set up an appointment for that! Good luck!

PerfectlySaneCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's her diet like? Is she getting enough canned food? My cats get poop and pee problems if I give them too much dry food. They still get some, just under half a cup.
Thanks for your reply. She hates wet food with a passion. We struggled for months to get her to eat it, but she's a dry addict. The other thing is she's been a dry addict for a long time before this issue started, so I don't think this is the cause.

PerfectlySaneCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you cleaned the place she has been peeing with an enzyme cleaner? If not, she can still smell it. Something like Nature's Miracle will remove the odor. A black light would reveal if she's peeing anywhere else in the house. I'd rule out a UTI before working on behavioral remedies. It's great that you already have set up an appointment for that! Good luck!
I cleaned it 3x with one of those big carpet cleaning machines from Home Depot. She immediately peed afterwards in the corner. I'll see if I can find an enzyme cleaner.

Could she still have a UTI if she has no other symptoms (blood, frequent urination, etc.)?