1 week old kitten with open wound

Matthewwwwwwwww

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need some advice for on of my kittens. Mama cat gave birth to a litter of 6 last week. Everything has been great and she has been taking wonderful care of them. They are all gaining weight daily and getting larger. Upon weighing yesterday, I noticed that the runt of the litter has an open wound on its lower belly. Looks like an abscess and it is filled with white pus. I am debating if I should take the kitten into see a vet immediately or if I should try to clean the wound myself and apply vetericyn wound care. The kitten is nursing just fine and is moving around well. Feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I need some advice for on of my kittens. Mama cat gave birth to a litter of 6 last week. Everything has been great and she has been taking wonderful care of them. They are all gaining weight daily and getting larger. Upon weighing yesterday, I noticed that the runt of the litter has an open wound on its lower belly. Looks like an abscess and it is filled with white pus. I am debating if I should take the kitten into see a vet immediately or if I should try to clean the wound myself and apply vetericyn wound care. The kitten is nursing just fine and is moving around well. Feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you.
As you DO have access to a vet, take the safe before the unsafe and let a vet treat the wound.

IF you hadnt, you would be willy nilly try to treat it yourself and hope for the best. Healthy kittens have often a surprising good healing meat - but whom wants to take risks??