1 food, 2 Cats, 2 stomachs

corx2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - I am new to this site and have been trying to find answers to this problem that recently came up. We have two female cats, one is 10 ,Ezra, the other Gizmo, is 7. I had always fed them Meow Mix up until a few months ago (please dont judge -they were both rescues and I was young and on the broke side!) I'm sure there was better food but it seemed to do the trick and they liked it.

We went to the vet and I mentioned that the 10 yr old was vomiting for the past couple years maybe once a week or so. I asked if this was due to the fact that she has short hair but often cleans the 7 yr old who has very long hair and that maybe it upsets her stomach. Vet said this might be a possibility but to also try changing food to something more stomach sensitive.

Switched the girls over the Blue the stomach sensitive formula and they have been enjoying it and Ezra the 10yr old has been vomiting less.

Recently though, since switching foods, Gizmo the 7 yr old has had some loose stool around her rear. Got her bathed and a medium shave for the first time and this helped keep the clumps out of her behind. However I am still finding poop around her butt. Not the hanging balls that use to stick to her fur sometimes, but more like it's soft and coming out wetter. I've checked the litter box and it doesnt seem to be super soft but it's clearly not coming out of Gizmo as smooth as it should with no mess back there.

Can anyone suggest a food that would be helpful or at least not harmful to Ezra's occasional vomiting and also help harden up Gizmo's stool enough so that it's not smearing around her rear?

I have heard going through this forum earlier that science diet might be an option. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corx2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well...after researching some more, it seems the Science Diet has had some major issues with vomiting and changed their formula around or something to the disappointment of many, causing animals to become ill. Other options?

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For my cat's dry meal, she gets Orijen which she loves, and I love the ingredients! (Her other meal is a canned meal).

I personally don't like the ingredients in Science Diet. I would recommend you do some reading regarding cat food labels and ingredients. From there you can find a food that you like, and hopefully your kitties like as well.

I also find that turkey seems easier for sensitive stomachs, as my cat has a sensitive stomach as well. Maybe try sticking to 1 protein source for now, to see if that makes a difference. :)

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you taken Gizmo to the vet to make sure it's not a medical problem?

Otherwise I would opt for a food that is simple. In other words, no cranberries or blueberries or other fruits and veggies. Stay away from grains and carbs, as many are known allergens. Consider a probiotic.