1 Day Old Kitten Found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

odinsmomxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

He is currently 12 Days Old. Severely Underweight: How much should I be feeding him?

My teacher found Odin on her carport along with his cat mom last Wednesday. She left them alone overnight however, little Odin was still there, without mom, the next morning. We've been feeding him and took him to the vet a couple of times it just seems like everyday there's something new wrong! Or concerning. He's a ball of energy weighing in at 4.5oz. We are unable calculate a birth weight because at day three he was under 1 oz. He latched really well and seems to always want milk. We've had one low blood sugar lethargic episode but by the next feeding time he was back to normal. Currently he's got an inflamed bum and tail (under). His eyes are just starting to open however there seems to be some watery discharge and a slight runny nose, which is concerning to me. Now we're trying to figure out how much to feed my little fatty! Up until yesterday (when we got the scale) we had been feeding him 3oz every two hours. Now I've just started giving him 5oz every 2 to 3 hours. I'm really concerned with over feeding because he's already had to go to the vet for constipation. He always digs digs digs for more food after I feed him but I know if I let him free eat he will eat until he can't breath! This is just today's question lol,, trust me I will have many more as he progresses! Thanks so much! #Odin'sGotThis

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

odinsmomxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry I wrote that wrong! We've been feeding him 3mL,, now moving to 5mL.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The amount is 8 ml kmr or goats milk / Oz / day.   If he is currently 4,5 oz - ie about 130 g - it sounds low!!!  Perhaps the scale is not so good because there is no chance he was less than 1 oz.  Less than 2 oz is barely possible as birthign weigh...

Anyways, 4,5 oz gives x8 =  about 36ml a day, given every 2 hours about 3 ml at a time, given every 3 hours gives 4,5 ml....

So at the face value you give OK amounts.  However, its probably too little still.  Observe, its difficult to overfeed a kitten. If he visibley wants more, he shall have more...

What exactly kmr are you giving him?

You can give one or two drops of coldpressed canola or olive oil to his helpings.  It helps with the constipation tendencies, and its also some nourishment by itself...

Also, make sure he gets enough of fluids.  Perhaps some extra drops of water between the feedings?

If his poo begins to be too rare, make the oil dose smaller...

If he gets new moments of low blood sugar, smear some glucose sugar on his gum and lips.   For example, thick honey water, or white caro syrup...   The glucose sugar in them goes into blood already in the mouth, it doesnt need to be digested...

Your resident, the point, is shehe helping any?  or mostly just curious?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps you know surely, kittens that age cant produce their own heat.  So unless its very warm at your place, its not enough with nice and cosy wrapping and blankets.  He must have also an active heat source, alike a heating pad, under part of the blanket...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He needs an antibiotic for his upper respiratory infection (URI). The vet will probably prescribe amoxicillin or clavamox, and it will be a tiny amount 2x/day for 7-10 days.

At 4.5 ounces at 11 days old he is very underweight. The goal is 8 ounces at 14 days, so he needs to almost double his weight.

The rule of thumb is 8mLs of formula per ounce of weight, so he needs a minimum of 36-40 mLs each 24 hour period. He is welcome to more. It is almost impossible to overfeed a growing kitten, so feed him until he is full. He may also just enjoy sucking on the nipple since he has no mom.

The key to weight gain is to feed often. In this case I suggest feeding 5 mL every 2 hours, not 3. If he wants more, give more. The more he eats, the better he will grow.

Which formula are you using? Powdered PetAg in the can is best.

Does he have a heat source, like an electric heating pad set on low under the blanket, or a sock filled with dry rice and microwaved for 5 minutes, then wrapped in a towel? Kittens cannot maintain their own body heat for 3 weeks, and cannot digest well when they are not warm.

Constipation is not unusual in bottle babies. Add a drop of olive oil to each bottle. It will help keep the poops coming.

If he has another incident of lethargy related to low blood sugar, smear honey on his gums to perk him up.

Thanks for rescuing him. Glad you got a scale. He needs to gain a minimum of 6-10 grams a day. Much, much more is preferable.

It sounds like you are doing a great job! Is he getting fed through the night too?

odinsmomxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, that is his accurate weight, unfortunately. Anna,, she wasn't socialized well as a kitten (she was also a rescue we got her at 4wks) so she's usually aggressive at first but warms up after a while. Or that's how she was when we had to kitty sit an adult male cat over the summer. She sniffs him and has occasinally licked him but I don't think she understands WHAT he is yet lol. So we're slowly getting her accustomed to his scent and she ventures closer when she's comfortable. She's prone to severe anxiety. But yea hopefully she will get a little motherly instinct and cuddle him some in the future.

odinsmomxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has a heating pad set to WARM during the day since he's kept upstairs and it's a bit warmer up there during the day with plenty of room to move off he he's to hot. We set it to LOW at night dude to running the air conditioner a little more. He's eating KMR not the powdered because that I believe can cause constipation issues. He eats every two hours during the day and he eats every 3 hours from midnight to 6am. He is reaching develepmental milestones, he's VERY active! I have a vet student neighbor that he just cracks her up when she feeds him and cuddles him!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens tend to get diarrhea on the pre-mixed. They also seem to gain weight better on the powdered. It has probiotics in it as well. You may want to try it.

odinsmomxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will Amazon order some right now then! Thank you. I've looked in the stores but can't seem to find the powder but I can get it here in two days not that bad!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear that you can get it quickly. It should make a difference! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

1sweetfairytale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you're doing the right thing so far, but definitely take the advice of the wise ones above. Keeping them warm is what I've noticed makes the biggest difference. I keep my little guy on my chest with a blanket over him after he eats for cuddles and warmth. 

Don't forget to stimulate him after so he can go to the bathroom. Usually when they're this little they need a bit of help. 

Good luck. He's a cutie! :) 

odinsmomxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His bottom is really raw again. Started bleeding. I'm putting baby butt cream on it but I'm afraid he might start licking it and it hurt him. Plus it kind of cakes up on the side of his tail and becomes difficult to clean. I'm cleanin him as besst I can without making his bleeding bottom worse. I don't know what else to do. I guess vet again tomorrow but last time they didn't seem to concerned about it. I can tell it hurts him but it hasn't stopped him from pooing. Any advice? Also just started on powder KMR today rather than canned.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His bottom is really raw again. Started bleeding. I'm putting baby butt cream on it but I'm afraid he might start licking it and it hurt him. Plus it kind of cakes up on the side of his tail and becomes difficult to clean. I'm cleanin him as besst I can without making his bleeding bottom worse. I don't know what else to do. I guess vet again tomorrow but last time they didn't seem to concerned about it. I can tell it hurts him but it hasn't stopped him from pooing. Any advice? Also just started on powder KMR today rather than canned.
How is he to stimulate? IF its hard doing, the intensive stimulation causing the rawness (yes such happens) there is an alternative trick, of using running warm water and tapping with forefinger, to stimulate...

I can describe more if needed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Using diaper rash ointment is best. Use a tiny amount right where it is sore. Do go gently with the stimulating before and after meals only. No rubbing raw.

Let me know how he likes the powdered formula. Has he gained any weight recently? Is he eating well?

odinsmomxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. So I have cotton squares to make him pee and I've been avoiding his anus while stimulating him to pee because I thought it might just be urine scald. Usually me mAking him pee and rubbing the sides of his tummy make him poo. I don't really stimulate a whole lot on the anus. Now he poos pudding textured poo while eating or being petted lol he just poos and farts all the time. He's poo'd on everyone that's held him [emoji]128514[/emoji]. I do use a warm cotton square to clean up that poo though because he gets it all over his tail and legs and try to dry it as best I can before putting him back in his little enclosure. I can post a photo, it will be a little graphic so I was hesitant at first. He is officially 6.1oz and two weeks old today!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
odinsmomxd odinsmomxd

It sounds like it may be urine burn, but please post the picture.

The 2-week weight goal is 8 ounces, so he's on the small side. I'm hoping he begins to gain better on the powdered formula. Pudding texture poop is exactly what it's supposed to be on formula!

How many mLs is he eating per day?

odinsmomxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok his bottom looks so much better now! We're doing "sits&&shits" is what I call them lol baths. Bowl of warm water dunk his bottom in there he poos without straining his sensitive skin on his bottom. He poo'd really good yesterday like a 3oz poo lol! He will be 3weeks Wednesday now he has a slightly congested nose. My big problem right now is that he get so excited to eat I can't feed him. I can't get him to sit still long enough to get the nipple in his mouth. I have a video I'll post a link. Can y'all tell me if this is normal or no? He def wants the food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like he may have an upper respiratory infection (URI), which would require antibiotics to cure.

How often do you feed him? It may be that he is so hungry that he needs to eat more often so that he is calmer when being fed.

Otherwise, try wrapping him in a towel like a burrito so that he can't move around as much while you get the bottle in his mouth.

You can also try putting wet cat food on your finger to see if he will eat it. He may be ready for more than just formula soon.

odinsmomxd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's eating 6cc every 3hours. He is going to the vet Wednesday for his 3week checkup so we will get some meds for they but his lungs don't sound bad or like they have fluid in them. My resident cat has started snoring loudly in the past week so I do believe we have a little bug going around our house.

Status
Not open for further replies.