1 cat to 2 cats...back to 1 cat

ceresc21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry if this isn't the correct forum for this, but I couldn't figure out where to post it and I need an opinion.

I've had one cat about a year. A few months ago, a friend of my roommates was having some personal problems and asked us to keep her cat for her. So we've been watching her cat since then. The two cats get along really well and play together and are great company. She's taking her cat back in another two weeks and I'm afraid my cat will be sad/lonely. It's also improved his behaviour and I'm worried he'll get destructive again. My roommate and I both work and go to school so some days we're gone a lot.  Now I know the simple solution is "just get another cat", but my roommate actually doesn't like cats. She agreed to watch her friends cat because it was for a friend, and my cat living here is sort of accepted through gritted teeth. She pretty much ignores him and sometimes I think she's a bit mean to him. I have every intention of trying to get another cat, but she really doesn't even want me to have the first cat.

Any suggestios on how to either help my cat have an energy outlet without his playmate, or help convince my roommate we need 2 cats?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, did you discuss having the one cat with your roommate before you got him?  My reason for asking is because you didn't mention who was in the apartment first, your cat or your roommate.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ceresc21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My roommate and I got the apartment together, without the cat. I used to have a dog but couldn't bring him along. One of her friends needed a new home for one of her cats and she knew I missed having an animal around so she agreed that I could have the cat. 

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why doesn't your roomate like the cat? I only ask because 99% of the time when people don't like cats, it's bacause they don't know how to act around them.

ceresc21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's not an animal person. She says they're (as in all animals) are gross and dirty. She's threatened to get rid of him after he knocked a glass over once. She said the scratching post in the living room was embarassing if she ever wanted to bring a date over. I'm sure she's gotten used to him by now but she's still said recently that she'd prefer to not have any pets.  And she's 34, so she's pretty set in her ways. 

bellacakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it that she really doesnt like animals in general or is it bc she had a very close relationship with an animal and something happened to the animal? Only ask bc my husband had a cat growing up but came home from school one day to find Snowball dead on the road. He hasnt liked cats since. So he will call Bella, our cat that we have had for over 2 years, stupid cat. Even though he does this, she still loves him. He doesnt hurt her in any means, just tells/calls her stupid cat. So just wondering if something happened to a loved animal maybe to make her feel this way?

ceresc21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she's never told me anything of the sort and I've known her almost 10 years so I don't think so. She doesn't mind animals that belong to other people, but ones in her own resident are are another story. 

So back to my original question, will my cat be okay being solo again? will his bad habits return? and should i try to convince my roommate to get another cat?

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I see it you have a couple of choices, you could become a one cat house hold again or you can find another living situation, preferably someone with a cat.

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i think the cat will be fine. cats are pretty adaptable and will adjust. it's nice to get along and have a good companion. you'll have to keep the cat company and play with it :) my boys play together they are newly introduced and it's nice. sorry she don't like animals i don't get those kinds of ppl.