1 cat only uses the litter box to poop when the other isn't home.

elise1030

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats, and one has been in vets and surgeries on an off since april. I've noticed a pattern where my female cat will only poop in the box if my male cat is away on a vacation at the vets! She will urinate in it but not poop. As soon as he comes home, she goes back to pooping on the floor around it or in another room(thankfully usually in the bathroom or laundry!)

They are both desexed and they have been together since they were young. We have 2 litterboxes and we don't really have anywhere to stick a 3rd. They are kept clean also.

Any ideas?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I know you say you don't have anywhere to put a third, but I'm afraid that would be my suggestion.  I have two cats and four litter boxes.. one will only poo in a covered one, the other only in an open one, and they both like their own to wee in.  Otherwise they do just what yours does, and go in the bathroom (which, I agree, is handy)

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 1 girl and 1 boy and 3 litter boxes one private one each and one communal and the private ones stay private. I live on one floor, I would add more boxes if I had multiple levels. They do not get along he has house during day she has it at night, she goes in garage during day (that is her private box) he goes in back bedroom at night (that is his private box) The box in the kitchen is shared but he rarely uses it, she wears the pants. If he uses it she wants to use her box in garage for the next few days, so I guess I get it.

Last edited: