1 and half years old, spraying in the house and my mums house next door!??

robynm2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is spayed and has been sinse he was 5 months old. He has never had this problem. I live in a small studio apartment and a big outside shared garden where there are many stray cats!! I have recently found a small 3 week old kitten outside and brought him in the house for 3 days until i had found him a home! Sinse my cat has started spraying? i know this is probably the reason but how do i stop him?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a male we are talking about?

I would take him to the vet. Stress can cause urinary problems that can be very dangerous to a cat very quickly. I think maybe the other kitten caused this stress. He may be blocking due to infection or urinary crystals.

A vet visit to rule this out is imperritive.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one puts food out in/near the garden for the strays, do they? If that's happening it needs to stop and the cats need to be fed further away from the homes. All of those strange cats smell will upset a cat and some cats make it known by spraying.

You also upset him with the kitten. It may not have been there long but it was an intruder when you have an already territory stressed cat.

After the vet visit, you need to make sure that you're cleaning properly. Get a good enzyme cleaner for all of the urine spots. Get a feliway diffuser or two, run them constantly. Go outside and scrub down around the sides of the apartment with dish soap (you can use a hose sprayer attachment) then use the enzyme cleaner on the areas that the strays have been marking. (the idea is to get any dirt off the side of the apartment with the hose first so you don't have a big mess).
You can also look for repellant sprays to use around the building and any nearby plants.

If he only has one litter box add one or two more. You never know, it may help.