Tips for triming nails?

tipstylez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, before this wasnt a problem. Untill my parents got leather sofas...

When she was only a few months old, i would trim her nails easily. Now that shes older its not so easy.

So what im pretty much asking is for tips to make triming her nails easyer without he squirming around.

Thanks

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First I start out when they are lounging and relaxed. Then I sit next to him, tuck him under one arm so that my arm is up under him and I can pick up his paws and gently push out a claw, while lightly restaining with my arm. With the other hand I use regular, large, peoples nail clippers, and clip in the translucent area, not too close to the quick. Someone posted that they don't like these clippers because the split the sheath of the nail. They do that, but the sheath comes off anyway when they scratch a post, so I am not concerned about that. It is supposed to come off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tipstylez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, before i use to trim with clippers i guess were made for cats, the sheath came off still...so i guess its fine.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to use human nail clippers, and the claws always looked yucky. I use cat ones now and they look much better...

I only do a couple of claws at a time and while they're sleeping. Whenever they're fast asleep, I grab the clippers and do as many claws as I can before they wake up. So I end up doing it a couple of times a week between the 2 cats, and just whatever's need. This mean they grow at different rates, and I normally only need to do a couple at a time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tipstylez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat never sleeps...haha

She only sleeps when i am sleeping. Other then that, shes running around chaseing her toys and naps once in a while but in my closet so its going to be kinda hard to not wake her up.

cearbhaill

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She sleeps plenty.

It's ok if you wake her up- the point is to do it when she is relaxed and lazy, not hyperexcited and revved up.

Do it often and always give her a teeny treat afterwards. The more often you do it the easier it will be. Handle her feet gently when you are holding and petting her. Don't hold them past her point of tolerance or annoy her about it, just feel her feet every day. I rub their pads and between their pads everyday. I extend each claw and kiss it or rub it- just getting the cat familiar with being handled all over. I look in their mouths and ears too, but that's another post.

The more familiar they are with being handled the easier vet trips will be on them, and nails is just one small part of it.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

First I start out when they are lounging and relaxed. Then I sit next to him, tuck him under one arm so that my arm is up under him and I can pick up his paws and gently push out a claw, while lightly restaining with my arm. With the other hand I use regular, large, peoples nail clippers, and clip in the translucent area, not too close to the quick. Someone posted that they don't like these clippers because the split the sheath of the nail. They do that, but the sheath comes off anyway when they scratch a post, so I am not concerned about that. It is supposed to come off.
it splits up in the inside of the nail, the split can reach the quick and cause pain. that is the problem with human nail clippers. its nothing to do with the sheath.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With 6 kitties I understand all the frustration you are going through with nail trims. If you can take her to the vet for a good nail trim to get them short and please your parents, then once that is over and untill they grow long agin try and play with her feet as much as she will tolerate. This will start desensitizing her feet to your touch, most kitties do not like to have their feet touched at all, this will help her to not be so shocked when you do trim nails. Also I think sometimes it is the sound as well, so maybe try and clip your nails around her to keep the sound as something that happens to more than just her. If you can have your parents try and hold her-it takes both my husband and I to trim everybodys nails-and I am a vet tech, it's what I do on a daily basis but it can be difficult to do by yourself. If your parents have to help you maybe then they will be a little less angry about the couch, when they see how hard it can be!
You might want to also consider Soft Paws for her-I really don't like this product but for some people it really works and it would definatly keep her from scratching your parents couch. Good luck and let us know what works best!

deni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm lucky, my two will let me clip their claws including dew claws without a problem, I use human clippers, they make less noise and the cut is clean, they then spend ours ripping the sheaths off and sharpening them on their catpost. I have had them since they were only three weeks old, they're nine now so perhaps they think I really am their mum! I can only suggest that you try on a regular basis when they are snuggling up to you and will let you spread their pads easily.