Medication help

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scratch is going to be on an anti-biotic for the next 10 days due to a gum infection. The stuff is in an eye dropper, and it has to be administered once a day. Can I get some help on how to give it to him so that: 1. Most of it gets in his mouth 2. I don't get hurt in the process 3. He doesn't hate me after we are done.

Thanks for the advice all.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone else might have better advice, but this is how I administer liquid meds.... I scruff the cat, wedge the dropper in the mouth, squeeze, and release cat. Takes 3 seconds, tops
good luck, I know it can be a pain to give a cat his medicine

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually do the same as Katie does!
Doing tons of shelter cats that don't want meds, I figure it's easiest to simply scruff them, slip the syringe/dropper into the back corner of their mouth, and give the meds to them. Somce cats prove to be very difficult, though.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We would hold Molly from behind, and definitely get the dropper in a back corner of the mouth.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take the dropper and put it on the side of his mouth, his mouth doesnt have to be open, just stick it between his lips on the outter side of his teeth on the side and squirt.... and he will swallow.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to have a special treat ready after I give any med, liquid or pill. This way if it tastes bad or they feel bad for what I did there is something ready to help them get over it. Lots of these liquid antibiotics are flavored so aren't horrendous but can be uncomfortable to administer. The favorite in our household is tuna flakes from Petsmart/Petco.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He hated it! This was the first time I've EVER heard him growl at me. He's really not going to be happy for the next 10 days is he?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may not be happy about it, but he needs it to make him better. Definitely follow-up with treats. It helps make the experience less unpleasant and it helps the medicine get to the stomach.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

He hated it! This was the first time I've EVER heard him growl at me. He's really not going to be happy for the next 10 days is he?
He may get used to it and stop fussing so much. We just had to give Swanie eye drops twice a day. The first time we did, he growled and hissed (never did that to us before either). The second time he growled with no hissing. Every time after that, he just tried to hide his eyes under my hand.

Can you get the medicine in pill form? I've had to give Cindy Lou antibiotics a couple times. She couldn't tolerate the liquid, so I got a pill and crushed it up in her food. She never even knew she was getting medicine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

He may get used to it and stop fussing so much. We just had to give Swanie eye drops twice a day. The first time we did, he growled and hissed (never did that to us before either). The second time he growled with no hissing. Every time after that, he just tried to hide his eyes under my hand.

Can you get the medicine in pill form? I've had to give Cindy Lou antibiotics a couple times. She couldn't tolerate the liquid, so I got a pill and crushed it up in her food. She never even knew she was getting medicine.
I don't think that he will ever get used to it. It's really bitter. As for the pill, my vet said it only comes in liquid form.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
scruff and put dropper in side of mouth then administer slowly. then give treats.

OR hold your kitty in a baby like position with her head in your left hand press your thumb and your palm into the right side of her face and press her body up against your chest/belly with your right arm with dropper in your hand. place the dropper in her mouth squirt fast and then hold her mouth closed for a couple of seconds. let her swallow and then give her loads of cuddles and kisses and a treat.