Any black cat lovers - need vibes/prayers

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey guys,
Just learned of yet another cat situation for which we could use some vibes/prayers. A family that adopted two black kittens from us last summer (along with taking in a pregnant stray - also black) called our coordinator today to say they're moving next week and we need to take the cats back. I can't even begin to tell you how angry this makes me. They had to know they were moving before now. Why didn't they plan ahead to try to find the cats homes? Also, I don't buy the whole "We're moving," excuse anyway. Why didn't they try to find a place that allows pets?

To complicate things, our coordinator has said we don't have the space to take the cats right now. Remember, we're a TNR group, not a rescue. Our coordinator already called them back and left a message telling them we can't take the cats and offered some suggestions for finding a place for them. I just hope they don't take the cats to the county shelter in the meantime. They seemed like such a nice, responsible family. I'm going to start spreading the word looking for an emergency foster situation for the cats, along with getting them on Petfinder. Meanwhile, if you know of any black cat lovers, there's two females and one male. They were sweet, playful kittens and I'm sure they've grown into gorgeous adults. Please send lots of vibes and prayers that we can work something out for these cats.

Thanks!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope something works out for them. I was going to say that I don't understand how these sort of people think, but probably the cause of these
situations is that they are not cappable of thinking at all.
Anne

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, that really stinks! And at the height of kitten season, too! Prayers that they find a home together, and soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for the vibes and prayers, everyone. Please keep them coming. I'm determined to find a place for these three, even if it has to temporarily be my spare bedroom. Our coordinator is determined to put the responsibility for finding them a new home on the owners, as it should be. But, I don't trust them. Sorry, if that's being judgemental, but we've been in contact with this family since they adopted the kittens last year and this came out of nowhere. For them to wait until the last minute, then expect us to just take the cats is completely irresponsible. I've put the word out that emergency foster home(s) is(are) needed. We'd like to at least keep the littermates, Cookie and Midnight, together, but will separate if necessary. Please pray that the family steps up and does the responsible thing or that we can find a place for these sweet cats.

murfins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why do people continually make this same stupid excuse - if they don't WANT their animals anymore, at least have the courage to say so!

I wouldn't trust these people to do find a good home for these cats - no way.

Sending lots of vibes for foster homes to open up.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Murfins

Why do people continually make this same stupid excuse - if they don't WANT their animals anymore, at least have the courage to say so!

I wouldn't trust these people to do find a good home for these cats - no way.

Sending lots of vibes for foster homes to open up.
That's the lamest excuse of them all. At least they contacted you. I hope you can do something before they are taken to the SPCA. Lots and lots of vibes and prayers for those precious kitties!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending {{{fervent prayers and vibes}}} that the 3 black kitties find new, true homes very soon. Eilcon, your logic about finding a solution is right-on! If these people couldn't deal with the situation correctly while there was still plenty of time before the move, then they aren't capable anyway, IMO. As a very efficient manager once told me, "If you want to get something done, ask the busiest person you know to do it - it'll get done"

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a strange situation. I've been in contact with this family myself now and feel better about things, but still don't think I'm getting the "real" story.
They claim it was all a misunderstanding, that they have no intention of giving up the two cats they adopted from us. They just need to "get rid of" (I hate it when people say that!) the third cat, Rory, because they're only allowed two pets at the new apartment and there are some territorial issues between the three cats. This is contrary to what they told our coordinator just a couple of months ago after Rory's kittens were adopted and she was spayed, vaccinated, tested and returned to them at our expense. They agreed to keep Rory and reported that everyone was getting along fine. If there were issues with the cats, why wait until less than a week before they're moving to call us, and why haven't they done anything to find her a home?

They've now agreed to start looking for a home. The wife assures me they'll take Rory with them to their new apartment and won't abandon her or take her to a kill shelter. Our coordinator says that under no circumstances will she take the cat and that the responsibility is one them. I'm torn about this. I agree it's their responsibility, but I don't completely trust them. I have given them some suggestions on how to find a home and have her on Petfinder as an urgent for a foster home. Guess the best thing I can do for now is just stay in touch and keep working with them. I'm so tempted to just take her myself to foster, but I don't want to let them off the hook. Then, there's the fact that I'm really not in the position to foster again right now.

Please just keep sending vibes and prayers that we can find a place for Rory. She's already been abandoned once and deserves a loving, forever home.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm beyond angry at this family this morning. To make a long story short, after they agreed to try to find Rory a home (with help from me) and not take her to the county shelter, the husband left a nasty message for our coordinator yesterday saying they had to "get rid of her." There's more to what he said, but I need to leave it at that.

Because this family ran into some financial problems after they adopted from us and the husband was battling cancer, we really went our of our way to help them with the cats. For them to now respond in this way is unconscionable. There was time I really respected them and even requested prayers on TCS for them. Needless to say, I'm not thinking very Christian thoughts about them right now.

I just hope this poor cat is safe. The husband didn't specify what they did with her and I can't reach them now. I left a message at the county shelter this morning to see if Rory was turned in there. If so, she's likely already been euthanized. I also contacted the rental office at their old apartment complex to see if they just abandoned her. The woman I spoke with said she hadn't heard of anyone seeing Rory, but will check around and let me know. If she turns up safe at either place, I'll find a way to get her.

Thanks for listening to me rant and rave. I'm just so tired of people's ignorance and lack of irresponsibility. Please pray that somehow, somewhere Rory is okay.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no...what a horrible situation! Poor Rory, how can people do that!! I desparately hope and pray that Rory is somewhere safe (as well as the other two).

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the prayers. I heard back from the shelter. They're going to have their lost/found person look for Rory. Told me to call back later this afternoon. I hate the idea of going to the shelter. I'll want to save them all. If Rory's there, at least I can save her.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is awful, Eileen! I hope Rory turns up safe and sound, it is beyond me the way people treat their pets

vik61

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

Hope something works out for them. I was going to say that I don't understand how these sort of people think, but probably the cause of these
situations is that they are not cappable of thinking at all.
Anne
Well put.

I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

zobell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor Rory, what a terrible story! Even though my boy Max doesn't get along at all with my other cats, I can't imagine wanting to 'get rid of' him. I really don't understand how people can take an animal into their home and then duck the responsibility.

My thoughts are with you and Rory, and I really hope you find her.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the continued prayers and vibes for Rory. I was able to confirm that she's not at the county shelter. So, they most likely just dumped her somewhere. We put the word out through ourTRN network to be on the lookout for her. I'll also spread the word around the apartment complex where the family lived. Beyond that, I don't know what to do except keep praying.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Thanks for the continued prayers and vibes for Rory. I was able to confirm that she's not at the county shelter. So, they most likely just dumped her somewhere. We put the word out through ourTRN network to be on the lookout for her. I'll also spread the word around the apartment complex where the family lived. Beyond that, I don't know what to do except keep praying.
Is there any chance that either of them will tell you where they dumped her? At least then you guess you go find her and get her (or trap her, if necessary).

Is it possible to get the police involved? Animal cruelty is a crime, right? If they can't tell you where they placed her or dumped her, there's no reason to believe that they didn't kill her.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abandoning a pet is a crime. Since you know the SPCA's Operations Manager I wonder if he would help.

Continued vibes and prayers for Rory to be safe (and the other kitties too because these people apparently view cats as things that they can "get rid of" whenever they feel like it
)