TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Hartz???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hartz???

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Ok so I use a couple of the Hartz products with no problems, suck as KMR, Hairball remedy and so on. Someone emailed me this link and I am not sure what to think of it.

http://www.hartzvictims.org/index.php

Do you guys think that this is a hoax of some competing company? Also have you ever had any problems with the Hartz brand???
post #2 of 24
Hartz is changing their flea shampoo and treatment formula. Harm comes in using the flea treatment without PEOPLE reading the label first. I swear by their KMR and hairball treatment, never have had a problem with them and many cats and kittens are alive in the world today thanks to Hartz KMR. Don't swallow all the hysteria that the net can produce. And there is plenty of it out there. Always avoid over-the-counter flea treatments unless recommended by your vet. That is the safest rule. Never use flea collars, if you think about it, the toxin has no where to go but to sit in one place on the skin. Many cats become allergic or ill to the toxin buildup- use flea treatment from your vet. Just be wise about your choices for your cat. Understand that over the counter wormers, flea shampoos etc, are meant to kill parasites, therefore they are toxic or poison no matter who makes them.
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 
No, I don't use their flea products, we use Advantage-works like a charm! I have never been that big on flea collar either, the only part it is protecting from fleas is their neck. I was wondering if anyone else has has any problems with their products? I haven't I have saved many a kitten's lives buy using Hartz KMR, and use the hairball remedy with works too. I have used their flea collars in the past, they sucked but didn't harm the cat.

Come to think of it, I do have some Hartz shampoo (flea and tick I believe) that I bought back last summer.... I only used it a couple times cause I have other shampoos that smell better, but I think I will throw it away, I don't need it anyhow since we started using Advantage since then. Yeah I am going to throw it out, I never use two flea products at the same time, especially different brands, that is asking for trouble.

I thought that sounded a tad bit over exaggerated. LOL. Those things probably did happen, but that can happen with any product with pesticides, like you said. Stupid people should read labels and side effects, I always do on EVERYTHING, well only my pet stuff, lol.
post #4 of 24
I don't buy thier stuff-due to I've heard many things over the years andalso I can get alternatives(that have had less problems) at about the same price as hartz products. I use advantage, buy cat mice on ebay(comes to about $15 for 60 mice...which I have about 100 scattered around the house-most shoved uner the couches/beds and in closets) Now your talking about thier milk replacer not KMR right? I used the real KMR with good results. RJ
post #5 of 24
Hmm, well I've used their oatmeal shampoo for a while with no problems.
post #6 of 24
Hartz pops out some decent products[shampoos etc], but I would stay away from their flea control.
post #7 of 24
I would stay away from any parasite control, but their other products are fine.
post #8 of 24
Yes when it comes to either external or internal parasites, I steer clear of their products and virtually any other brand that is OTC.

While I personally have never had an animal die from using one of their products, I remember while growing up we used their flea collars on our cats, and the fur always started to come off around their neck, and get flaky.
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
Hartz is changing their flea shampoo and treatment formula. Harm comes in using the flea treatment without PEOPLE reading the label first. I swear by their KMR and hairball treatment, never have had a problem with them and many cats and kittens are alive in the world today thanks to Hartz KMR. Don't swallow all the hysteria that the net can produce. And there is plenty of it out there. Always avoid over-the-counter flea treatments unless recommended by your vet. That is the safest rule. Never use flea collars, if you think about it, the toxin has no where to go but to sit in one place on the skin. Many cats become allergic or ill to the toxin buildup- use flea treatment from your vet. Just be wise about your choices for your cat. Understand that over the counter wormers, flea shampoos etc, are meant to kill parasites, therefore they are toxic or poison no matter who makes them.
Excellent advice!
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apric0t
Hmm, well I've used their oatmeal shampoo for a while with no problems.
Have you read the ingrediants??? sorry but I have learned to much to use chemical based shampoos on any creature( myself included)
post #11 of 24
I always recommend an Ovicollar as a wonderful alternative to those icky Hartz flea collars.
post #12 of 24
Flea Collars of any kind are archaic. Why use them when they don't work, they smell horrible, and there are so many better and safer flea protection alternatives?
post #13 of 24
Any kind of OTC flea or parasite control is considered in my book to be extremely dangerous to both my own health and even more importantly my cat's. I used a type of this stuff once, when I didn't know better, and it gave me heart problems. Then when Zissou went to the vet on Monday (we'd only had her two days) the vet said that (both this brand and others) has killed cats that he has personally tried to treat after they'd been poisoned and also has seen a whole lot of poisoning cases from non-prescription flea medicines.

I think they should be illegal if they can't regulate them better. So many people use them without knowing how dangerous they are, like I did, and sometimes bad things do happen. I consider myself lucky that nothing bad happened, although I still wonder if it'll cause some wierd cancer when she's older or something. I just... I remember the whole time coming home crying and thinking if it had given me such weird heartbeats and breathing problems why didn't I wash it off Zissou faster? I wasn't even the one who gave her the bath!

Anyway, there's no reason to use them since they don't really work as well and are dangerous. Just go to the vet! For one thing, cats with fleas might have worms that need treated as well.
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Any kind of OTC flea or parasite control is considered in my book to be extremely dangerous to both my own health and even more importantly my cat's. I used a type of this stuff once, when I didn't know better, and it gave me heart problems. Then when Zissou went to the vet on Monday (we'd only had her two days) the vet said that (both this brand and others) has killed cats that he has personally tried to treat after they'd been poisoned and also has seen a whole lot of poisoning cases from non-prescription flea medicines.
Yeah totally! We had a cat come in once that they had used the Zodiac brand flea control and the cat almost died. The owners ended up spending $500 on this cat... all over $4 flea control! What was really sad is we saw their dog they adopted from the humane society a few motnhs later with a flea collar on.
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plebayo
Flea Collars of any kind are archaic. Why use them when they don't work, they smell horrible, and there are so many better and safer flea protection alternatives?
Ovicollar isn't a traditional flea collar, they work by releasing an insect growth inhibitor which prevents immature fleas from maturing. You still have to spray your home, obviously, but they do work.
post #16 of 24
no this is not a hoax
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
I think some of you misunderstood me, lol.

I don't use their flea products, at all. I do use their KMR, Hairball remedy, etc. I use Advantage for the fleas, and it work beautifuly without any icky side effects. I have used their ear mite stuff, and it doesn't work, a couple drops of baby oil works wonders and costs so much cheaper.

I was wondering if any of you guys have had any bad side effects from their products. Also some input on that site (hoax, no hoax, etc)
post #18 of 24
I have to admit I don't like it now just cause of the flea product thing, but I've never had any problems except I don't like some of their toys because they break apart into little shards of sharp plastic. Then again, those toys cost like, a quarter each, so I shouldn't expect much I guess. I'm just uneasy about it. Like that contact solution for humans that may have caused a wierd eye thing from a couple months ago, I've just totally switched brands now. Maybe I'm just squeamish.

Is it really okay to use oil in a cat's ear? I have a minor recurring ear mite problem, and two different vets have tried to treat it to no avail (compared to what her ears looked like when she got here, she has none at all, but every now and then I'll see a waxy brown spot) so I would consider giving some oil a try. What exactly do you do?
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Ovicollar isn't a traditional flea collar, they work by releasing an insect growth inhibitor which prevents immature fleas from maturing. You still have to spray your home, obviously, but they do work.
I know exactly what it is, they use Precor to kill flea eggs and it is non-toxic. It's kind of like Program, and it works for 12 months in cats etc. etc. It's still archaic, and pointless when you can use a flea control that goes on once a month with usually no ill effect [some aniamls do have reactions, but it's not too common] and takes care of fleas if applied like it's supposed to. I would never put any kind of a flea collar on my pets... it's just an extra thing that gets in the way and again, there's much more convenient flea control.
post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
My grandmother told me about the babyoil for earmites, and I guess if it's safe for babies it's gotta be safe for kitties. But if your worried you can cal your vet and ask. I have done this for years and it works, with no side effects.

I only do it when I see the brown in their ears, or excessive wax. I use a syringe, to get it past ear fur, lol. I only use 3 drops MAX, then I hold the ear down and gently rub to get the oil in good. The cats to the rest by shaking their heads, after the cat I am treating shakes it's head I take a cotton ball and very gently remove the gunk (you have to be very careful, ears are very sensitive.) Then I let the kitty shake it's head more and remove more of the gunk until it's clean. For very extreme cases I put the drops in wipe out the gunk, let the cat shake it's head remove more gunk, add 2 more drops, remove more gunk, etc.

The cat shaking it's head combined with the oil breaks loose the mites and gunk, wiping it out gets rid of it.

Works like a charm.
post #21 of 24
Quote:
My grandmother told me about the babyoil for earmites, and I guess if it's safe for babies it's gotta be safe for kitties. But if your worried you can cal your vet and ask. I have done this for years and it works, with no side effects.

I only do it when I see the brown in their ears, or excessive wax. I use a syringe, to get it past ear fur, lol. I only use 3 drops MAX, then I hold the ear down and gently rub to get the oil in good. The cats to the rest by shaking their heads, after the cat I am treating shakes it's head I take a cotton ball and very gently remove the gunk (you have to be very careful, ears are very sensitive.) Then I let the kitty shake it's head more and remove more of the gunk until it's clean. For very extreme cases I put the drops in wipe out the gunk, let the cat shake it's head remove more gunk, add 2 more drops, remove more gunk, etc.
Yeah, there was always a gal at the barn that recommended doing that. If anything it won't hurt to try it. I know they did it to a couple of the barn cats, and it seemed to work well, I think it only had to be done once or twice a year [since they were all outdoor].

I've used Acarexx in the past for some of the barn cats and it worked like a charm in two applications.

Are you guys sure it's ear mites, and not just wax build up due to a possible food allergy, or simply a cat having a constant ear problem? I only ask because it may not be ear mites at all. The kitten I adopted had "earmites" I'm pretty sure the woman didn't look under a scope because most kittens from bad situations have them and his ears were dirty, but as it turned out he was itching his ears.
post #22 of 24
I for one am sure it's earmites. Every time the vet treats her for it it nearly goes away and then it'll come back just a little, like the stuff he's giving her isn't quite getting them all.

If you'd seen her as-found, you'd be amazed. The insides of her ears were brown. Like, it looked like her skin was brown. She was a feral kitten.

Anyway, mostly she gets just a few speckles down in the lighter area of fur at the base of her ear on her face, if that makes sense, and I can wipe it off easily with my finger or a q-tip. It's not an infection and if it's an allergy I can't possibly imagine what would cause an earmite-like reaction and absolutely no other symptoms.

I think I'll try that, thanks, katkisses!
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plebayo
I know exactly what it is, they use Precor to kill flea eggs and it is non-toxic. It's kind of like Program, and it works for 12 months in cats etc. etc. It's still archaic, and pointless when you can use a flea control that goes on once a month with usually no ill effect [some aniamls do have reactions, but it's not too common] and takes care of fleas if applied like it's supposed to. I would never put any kind of a flea collar on my pets... it's just an extra thing that gets in the way and again, there's much more convenient flea control.
Eh? I'm not following your logic. An ovicollar isn't "pointless", it's an alternative to dosing your cat once a month and hoping your cat doesn't have a reaction. I can see you saying that you just don't like the idea of a collar on your cat(s) but to call the ovicollar archaic is just bashing a perfectly valid and useful product, IMO, and to lump it into the same category as powdered insecticide collars like Hartz is just wrong.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
Eh? I'm not following your logic. An ovicollar isn't "pointless", it's an alternative to dosing your cat once a month and hoping your cat doesn't have a reaction. I can see you saying that you just don't like the idea of a collar on your cat(s) but to call the ovicollar archaic is just bashing a perfectly valid and useful product, IMO, and to lump it into the same category as powdered insecticide collars like Hartz is just wrong.
I personally prefer not to wear any collar on my cat. It's too easy for them to get hurt or even choke to death with a collar by getting caught up in it. IMO it is much better to apply Revolution/Advantage/Frontline once per month.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Hartz???