TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Lola has FIP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lola has FIP - Page 2

post #31 of 45
I am so sorry the vet has a preliminary diagnosis of FIP. This horrible disease took my Buddy on Saturday. Make the most of the time that you have with Lola. She is lucky to have you to love her. My heart goes out to you and your baby.


post #32 of 45
How is this being diagnosed? Did they draw fluid from the cat? As I told you in the PM this mimics a corona virus and is often misdiagnosed
post #33 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
How is this being diagnosed? Did they draw fluid from the cat? As I told you in the PM this mimics a corona virus and is often misdiagnosed
Well, the vet drew blood and is supposed to call with confirmed results tomorrow morning. My mom told me that he said he thought it was most likely FIP because of the way something looked, either the blood or the fluid.

At any rate, she's sitting on my shoulder trying to attack my ponytail right now. And her breathing doesn't sound like it did when I left her Sunday night. It sounds normal.
post #34 of 45
If he is doing an antibody titre test, they are NOT reliable to tell if the cat is shedding the virus or not. This disease is over-diagnosed all the time. Please get a second even third opinion from a feline specialist before you move forward in any fashion-

Best of luck!
post #35 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
If he is doing an antibody titre test, they are NOT reliable to tell if the cat is shedding the virus or not. This disease is over-diagnosed all the time. Please get a second even third opinion from a feline specialist before you move forward in any fashion-

Best of luck!
When I get my second and third opinions, what should I ask them to do instead of a titre test?
post #36 of 45
If she is pouchy- ask for a needle draw at the site of the pouch. If the fluid coming out is thick and yellow, it is more than likely FIP. If it is clear or bloody, it isn't FIP
post #37 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
If she is pouchy- ask for a needle draw at the site of the pouch. If the fluid coming out is thick and yellow, it is more than likely FIP. If it is clear or bloody, it isn't FIP
No pouching. Should I wait until she pouches? The fluid, according to my mom, was contained in the lungs. Can I get it drawn from her lungs?
post #38 of 45
Found more of my notes (sorry but I just got home yesterday morning) and my desk is in chaos as the kittens love to skate over my papers.

FIP can mimic- Liver Disease-Lymphoma-Toxoplasmosis-Abdominal Neoplasia-Bacterial Peritonitis- Even if the cat has a positive result on the corona virus test, it does not mean that she has FIP. Really there is no conclusive reliable test to say whether or not a cat has FIP
post #39 of 45
I'm praying for you that this was a misdiagnosis. *hugs* Best wishes to you and your sweet, sweet baby.
post #40 of 45
Thread Starter 
Thanks, MA. I will bring that up with my feline specialist vet.
post #41 of 45
I am so sorry to hear that!!! The gang and I will be praying for you.
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessrampant
Thanks, MA. I will bring that up with my feline specialist vet.
I'm sorry to hear of the possibility your cat has FIP. There is a procedure that can diagnose this with much more reliability than a blood titer. It called a CFS.
Fluid is drawn from the spine and then tested in a similiar way to a blood titer.

This procedure is usually done by larger Vet offices or vet schools. If you want a positive answer right now, this is the way to go.
post #43 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals
I'm sorry to hear of the possibility your cat has FIP. There is a procedure that can diagnose this with much more reliability than a blood titer. It called a CFS.
Fluid is drawn from the spine and then tested in a similiar way to a blood titer.

This procedure is usually done by larger Vet offices or vet schools. If you want a positive answer right now, this is the way to go.
Thanks, Nial. I'm going to look into the vet schools at Northwestern and U of Chicago or U of Illinois Medical Center. My feline specialist vet wants to monitor her and give an anti-biotic and diuretics, which seem to be helping a lot as of today. Her fever went down and she's moving around again and the labored breathing seems to have stopped...I just hope this good health isn't fleeting. You just never know. FIP is so sneaky and cruel and unfair. We're doing everything we can for her, and I'm willing to try anything that might make her better, give us a conclusive dianosis or just might make the rest of her time on the planet as comfortable and happy as possible.

The vet thinks that whatever it is, we caught it pretty early. So, hopefully we can help her as much as possible. She goes in to the specialist on Friday.
post #44 of 45
I am so sorry for you and Lola. That is such a horrible thing to find out. You know that were are all here to support you and give good vibes and prayer to you both! Just call on us when you need a cry or a helping hand!
post #45 of 45
Allie, my heart is breaking for you right now. What an enormously difficult thing to be facing . I'm keeping you and Lola and Leo in my prayers and hoping that this is a misdiagnosis . If it IS FIP, Lola has been tremendously lucky to face this with such an adoring mommy. As long as she's known love in this lifetime, that's what matters most. I know that you will do everything you can to keep her happy and free from pain .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Lola has FIP