TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Just got back from vacation - notice dandruff, not eating well
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just got back from vacation - notice dandruff, not eating well

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Hi all,
I just got back from a week away from Tola. I had a girl live in my apartment for the week I was gone. When I came home yesterday I fed her the usual small can of Nutro Max wet. She didn't eat it all, but I thought that maybe it was just because I disrupted things by coming home, etc. I gave her dry in the evening and she ate it all. Then I gave her wet this morning again, and she only ate 1/4 of it, which is EXTREMELY ODD seeing as she is usually a ravenous beast. I gave her 1/4 dry a few hours later and she has eaten that. I asked the cat sitter about her eating habits during the week and she said at the beginning of the week she would inhale the whole can of wet as per usual. then during the week she started eating only half at once, and then came back later for the other half, but finished the whole thing.

I have noticed her coat has lots of dandruff now. I switched her over from raw to Nutro Max about 2 weeks ago. I am thinking maybe she is allergic to Nutro Max or something? But I don't understand why she ate it so happily for the first 1.5 weeks?

She seems behaviorly normal, maybe a little less playful. I think I am going to make an appointment for the vet this week, but I just wanted any suggestions or thoughts from you all as to what might be happening?

Thanks!!!
post #2 of 25
It's very possible her reduced eating while you were away was simply because she missed you!
My two tend to eat a little less when mommy's gone as well.

The dandruff may just be a seasonal thing. When the weather turns in the fall, Oliver gets dandruff as well. Its the same as us humans getting dry skin this time of year. There are a number of commercial products you can rub into her fur/skin to help alleviate the problem.

If she stops drinking water, using the litterbox, or stops eating all together I would take her into the vet. For now, I'd say just monitor her habits and behavior and if she still seems "off" in a few days, give the vet a ring.
Chances are, now that you're home she'll perk up in a day or so.

Good luck with miss Tola!
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
thank you so much! that's kind of what i thought too, and at least this weekend will give me a few days to monitor her behavior. I also noticed when i came home the heat was on (hot water heat) which i rarely use, so i'm wondering if that played a part too. her poop is normal, i totally cleaned the whole litter box out and put fresh stuff in as wow did it ever smell when i got home (obviously the cat sitter is not as fastidious as me! LOL). i also washed out all her bowls and vacuumed and cleaned everything. hopefully she'll be ok.
thank you for your reassurance.....
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey
Hi all,
I just got back from a week away from Tola. I had a girl live in my apartment for the week I was gone. When I came home yesterday I fed her the usual small can of Nutro Max wet. She didn't eat it all, but I thought that maybe it was just because I disrupted things by coming home, etc. I gave her dry in the evening and she ate it all. Then I gave her wet this morning again, and she only ate 1/4 of it, which is EXTREMELY ODD seeing as she is usually a ravenous beast. I gave her 1/4 dry a few hours later and she has eaten that. I asked the cat sitter about her eating habits during the week and she said at the beginning of the week she would inhale the whole can of wet as per usual. then during the week she started eating only half at once, and then came back later for the other half, but finished the whole thing.

I have noticed her coat has lots of dandruff now. I switched her over from raw to Nutro Max about 2 weeks ago. I am thinking maybe she is allergic to Nutro Max or something? But I don't understand why she ate it so happily for the first 1.5 weeks?

She seems behaviorly normal, maybe a little less playful. I think I am going to make an appointment for the vet this week, but I just wanted any suggestions or thoughts from you all as to what might be happening?

Thanks!!!
She is shedding out the raw food.... give it about two weeks and shell be very shiny...
post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
She is shedding out the raw food.... give it about two weeks and shell be very shiny...
shedding out the raw food? I have never heard of that. Do cats "shed out" all old food after a switch?
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey
shedding out the raw food? I have never heard of that. Do cats "shed out" all old food after a switch?
Yes they do shed out old food... The coat cycle on a cat is about 2.5 months/10 weeks ... excessive shedding will happen from week 3 to 6 maybe not this whole period but at least part of it //
post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 
I also notice she's been drinking quite a bit. I have a free vet visit, so I think I might just schedule her in anyways to get everything checked out. How do they do a urine panel though? How would they ever get a urine sample!! LOL.
post #8 of 25
Sharkey, if you can back up your comments with some facts I would be interested. I have never heard of this, when cats shed, it is usually because of the

season
food allergies
dry skin
parasites
dermititis
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
Sharkey, if you can back up your comments with some facts I would be interested. I have never heard of this, when cats shed, it is usually because of the

season
food allergies
dry skin
parasites
dermititis
I will get the brosure at my next meeting... some of that info can be found on Nutros website... It has to due with the high omega 6 leval... I have had many customers including myself sceptical but it truly does happen... I have personally witnessed it three times with all three of my girls..
post #10 of 25
Sounds to me like what happens whenever my In-laws travel without thier dog Jake. He always perks up after a few days of extra lovin!
post #11 of 25
Thread Starter 
I have also been reading about dandruff from other posts, and I'm going to try adding some olive oil to her food and maybe look at buying some Omega 3 caps. I really don't want to switch her food yet AGAIN after going from raw to Nutro and it's only been two weeks, but i'm afraid she might have allergies to it. What do you all think? What food would be better to try regarding dandruff?

Oh, and boy is she ever getting extra lovin!! I have just finished fishing out her plastic golf ball from behind or under something for the 5th time. Little monster!
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey
I have also been reading about dandruff from other posts, and I'm going to try adding some olive oil to her food and maybe look at buying some Omega 3 caps. I really don't want to switch her food yet AGAIN after going from raw to Nutro and it's only been two weeks, but i'm afraid she might have allergies to it. What do you all think? What food would be better to try regarding dandruff?
You did say max ???

I would give a week or so more if it worsens try the natural choice wheat could be ... but since I have been thru this a few times it is likely just the 10 week cycle of new food .. raw to kibble is a huge change..
post #13 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
You did say max ???

I would give a week or so more if it worsens try the natural choice wheat could be ... but since I have been thru this a few times it is likely just the 10 week cycle of new food .. raw to kibble is a huge change..
Yes, Nutro Max wet and dry.
post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
I forgot to mention that she is drinking A LOT of water, and her poop is pale and really, really stinky and she has gas. I'm so worried!
post #15 of 25
I would call the vet , were her stools pale before you left???
post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 
yes they were, some pale, some dark......
post #17 of 25
I would take the dry back and try him with only canned for a while I think he is have trouble with the grains..
post #18 of 25
Thread Starter 
yeah, i think so too. She seemed fine when i was introducing the canned to her, and it seemed the trouble started with the kibble. I was thinking of going back to raw and doing a way more gradual switch to canned again......i just had no problems with her and the raw (except for some constipation). would it trouble her stomach too badly to switch back to only canned and raw again? should i just stick with the canned only? should i switch the canned to Nutro natural balance right away? ARGH!! help!!
post #19 of 25
Read the canns.. I use max and natural choice as well as some natural balence meow mix( no laughing) authority( petsmarts ) wynsong has an all meat ($$$ but good )

I mix canned and raw but i am not having troubles ... i would try just canned and see if that works if it doesnt help in a few days then add back raw 50/ 50 canned
post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky
Read the canns.. I use max and natural choice as well as some natural balence meow mix( no laughing) authority( petsmarts ) wynsong has an all meat ($$$ but good )

I mix canned and raw but i am not having troubles ... i would try just canned and see if that works if it doesnt help in a few days then add back raw 50/ 50 canned
thank you so much. I will do exactly that. no more kibble!
post #21 of 25
Anytime ... I have learned not everything works for every cat
post #22 of 25
Thread Starter 
yeah, i guess i have to learn that just because I want something to happen, Tola doesn't necessarily work that way. I wanted her to have wet canned food in the morning, and dry during the rest of the day so that it's more convenient for me, and that just doesn't work for her. She likes to be fed meals twice daily and that's that. and obviously wet food, and maybe dry in the future VERRRRRY slowly. poor babes.

hey, do you think it's okay to just give her Nutro Natural balance canned right away and not do it gradually since it's the same company? Or do I have to do the gradual switch again?
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey
yeah, i guess i have to learn that just because I want something to happen, Tola doesn't necessarily work that way. I wanted her to have wet canned food in the morning, and dry during the rest of the day so that it's more convenient for me, and that just doesn't work for her. She likes to be fed meals twice daily and that's that. and obviously wet food, and maybe dry in the future VERRRRRY slowly. poor babes.

hey, do you think it's okay to just give her Nutro Natural balance canned right away and not do it gradually since it's the same company? Or do I have to do the gradual switch again?

Trufully with max and natural choice the canned are very similiar , so pick flavors not brand
post #24 of 25
Thread Starter 
Well, just an update on the little monster. She is eating happily again, although her eating habits have changed and she seems to eat about 3/4 and leave 1/4 until later. I think she's just realizing that she is the only cat in the house, and the food is all hers, and she can afford to wait instead of inhaling it all at once. She is happy again, playing and galloping around the apartment. I guess it was a combo of dry food and me being away.....I have also changed to Nutro Natural Choice canned.....

Thank you all!
post #25 of 25
So glad she is doing better... only leave canned out for a max of 30 minutes..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Just got back from vacation - notice dandruff, not eating well