TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › What do you all think part 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you all think part 2

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Well I'm working on another painting in my free time. This one is a night time over the sea.... I don't have the sky started yet and the water is on its way. Anyone have any advice, ideas or comments?? Thanks!!





post #2 of 22
OMG-- thats already gorgeous-- are you going to start selling your work? or what? id be in the market for something like this. You are super talented! WOW!
post #3 of 22
i like it.......
post #4 of 22
Wow, Beth. It's not even finished and I love it! You really are talented! I can't wait to see the finished product.
post #5 of 22
Whitecaps? Unless that's a bay . Wouldn't there be a bit more of a glint on the water in other places besides the moon streak? I've only ever tried painting water a couple of times and on those went for a Japanese ink painting type feel which of course is very stylized.

You might like checking out this site:

WetCanvas

But be prepared to be awe-stricken by some of the talent you'll see! Also be prepared to spend a LOT of time exploring the site (It's totally fascinating!)
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
LOL I just joined wet canvas the other night. Getting some good tips from them there It makes me feel very... um... novice to painting. Some of the art is AMAZING. And the digital art is really impressive too. I see all ranges of styles. I love looking at the art there.

I'm going to check some pictures tomorrow that has the moon over the ocean and see what I can add. I only have a few colors so I hope that I can make the sky different enough from the water!!! Thanks for the c/c!!!
post #7 of 22
Quote:
LOL I just joined wet canvas the other night.


When I get back into my art (someday when I'm not rebuilding this house ) WetCanvas will definitely be high on my list of resources.

'Bout ready to set up my wheel again, h*ll or high water (I was teaching myself to throw, glaze and fire pottery when life got in the way and I had to give it up for a few years.)
post #8 of 22
I like it...can you post another when you've finished it? I would love to see it.
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Oh I love pottery!! I was thinking of getting my own wheel when DH and I decided to come into the army again. That's just too bulky to move around with us. They have a ceramics class here on post that I was thinking of trying. Have you ever tried ceramics??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke


When I get back into my art (someday when I'm not rebuilding this house ) WetCanvas will definitely be high on my list of resources.

'Bout ready to set up my wheel again, h*ll or high water (I was teaching myself to throw, glaze and fire pottery when life got in the way and I had to give it up for a few years.)
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali012281
Oh I love pottery!! I was thinking of getting my own wheel when DH and I decided to come into the army again. That's just too bulky to move around with us. They have a ceramics class here on post that I was thinking of trying. Have you ever tried ceramics??
This always confuses me a bit. Technically any fired piece is ceramics, but the term seems to mean to many people working with the slipcast greenware and/or bisqueware so that it's more a decorative art rather than a creative art? (Not knocking it, just a different discipline where the piece is more of a blank canvas as it were rather than a raw lump of clay that you have to make into a canvas.) Is that right? If so, no, I've not tried any of that specifically although I've thought china painting looked intriguing. The stuff I was working with was mid-fire mostly, fired to stoneware temps of cone 5 or 2200* more or less. The kiln I bought second hand is an older one without any bells or whistles and firing was very much a seat of your pants affair (that's why it's more or less !) If I ever come up with a couple of extra thousand dollars, ahahaha, I'd love to get one of the newer computer controlled models.
post #11 of 22
That's great, can't wait to see it when it's finished!
post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
This always confuses me a bit. Technically any fired piece is ceramics, but the term seems to mean to many people working with the slipcast greenware and/or bisqueware so that it's more a decorative art rather than a creative art? (Not knocking it, just a different discipline where the piece is more of a blank canvas as it were rather than a raw lump of clay that you have to make into a canvas.) Is that right? If so, no, I've not tried any of that specifically although I've thought china painting looked intriguing. The stuff I was working with was mid-fire mostly, fired to stoneware temps of cone 5 or 2200* more or less. The kiln I bought second hand is an older one without any bells or whistles and firing was very much a seat of your pants affair (that's why it's more or less !) If I ever come up with a couple of extra thousand dollars, ahahaha, I'd love to get one of the newer computer controlled models.

Maybe I'm thinking of ceramics as more of china painting.... I guess I'll have to check out what they offer. If it was good old clay into 'something' then I am totally all for that. I would love to some day make my own dinnerware!!!!
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali012281
Maybe I'm thinking of ceramics as more of china painting.... I guess I'll have to check out what they offer. If it was good old clay into 'something' then I am totally all for that. I would love to some day make my own dinnerware!!!!
Possibly. As I mentioned I'm not real sure what most people are referring to when they say "ceramics" since I think of ceramics in the technical sense.

But do keep us updated on the progress of your painting. Maybe you could make this into a WIP as the WetCanvas folks call it (Work In Progress, took me a while to figure that out !)

And if I get back into my pots (so to speak ) or other art, I may try posting a couple of pix myself. You've inspired me !
post #14 of 22
I love it - I'm assuming it's done in watercolour? I don't have my glasses on atm (managed to sit on 'em didn't I) so I can't see the image quite as clearly as I'd like to. I've never been able to master watercolours - all of my paintings are done in acrylics (makes mistakes easier to cover too) - so hurrah to you for managing that!! Go you!
post #15 of 22
I can't paint...so I don't have many helpful ideas..looks like it's off to a great start though!
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilleKat
<snip>... I've never been able to master watercolours ....<snip>
I have to comment on this ... I was talking to a professional artist/illustrator whom I'd met casually at a party many years ago and as the talk turned to art, techniques, etc., I mentioned I'd never been able to do much with watercolors. What he told me, and which has stuck with me---"Watercolor does what IT wants to." Definitely not my medium of choice either although sometimes it can be quite relaxing to just let the color do what IT wants to do !
post #17 of 22
Amusingly, I can only work with watercolor and pencil, LOL! Everything else goes wonky onme.
post #18 of 22
OMG I've never been able to do anything with watercolors either, and have been told more than once that it was one of the most difficult mediums...

Since we're on the subject, I generally do "illustration" stuff, mostly for fun, here are a few pics. of a mural I am working on in my sons' room.... be kind, they're in progress.......





What'dya think?
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
Stacy! I love that monkey!!! I've never been good at drawing animals at all. I'm so green!!!


Lillie: I'm currently using oils. I like the way I can layer and blend. I was tempted to try acrylics as well.

Okay I'll write more later. I have to get back to work!!! Lunch hour goes so fast.
post #20 of 22

I love it!!!
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali012281
Stacy! I love that monkey!!! I've never been good at drawing animals at all. I'm so green!!!


Lillie: I'm currently using oils. I like the way I can layer and blend. I was tempted to try acrylics as well.

Okay I'll write more later. I have to get back to work!!! Lunch hour goes so fast.
That is not a monkey, that is an ape (an orangutan ; it's an obscure joke, if you ever read any of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels you'll understand .)

I love them, the baby orang's expression is great, just right for a child's room. Animals are the only thing I'm any particularly good at. I've got some oils that my sister gave me last Christmas. I've always worked in acrylic though, so I'm a little intimidated by them. Soon ...
post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
That is not a monkey, that is an ape (an orangutan ; it's an obscure joke, if you ever read any of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels you'll understand .)

I love them, the baby orang's expression is great, just right for a child's room. Animals are the only thing I'm any particularly good at. I've got some oils that my sister gave me last Christmas. I've always worked in acrylic though, so I'm a little intimidated by them. Soon ...

:LOL: Okay okay.


Oils aren't that bad. Water colors terrify me though. I have them sitting in the closet but I just can't pull them out. I can't even do well enough with oils and they are easy to cover mistakes with LOL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › What do you all think part 2