TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I think someone hijacked my screen name..(Rant)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think someone hijacked my screen name..(Rant)

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Ok yeah I'm really PO'ed right now!! My friend Adam whom I never met..well here I'll just tell you how I even came to know Adam. I'm friends with his brother Alex..I go to school with him..and one day someone on AIM just randomly IMed me and we got to talking and I found out that he's Alex's brother and plus he lives in my neighborhood but it's way too far to walk. Well anyway Adam and I were never really that close so we weren't sure if we were "Trustworthy" or not. Well then his internet went down and I never got his phone # (I never even knew it from Alex cuz to be honest I never really cared) so basically all summer we didn't talk. Well just now I got all excited and everything because I saw him online and I IMed him and he told me he thought I hated him?! I was like "uuuh who told you that?" and he said "you did." and I said "uuh I don't ever remember saying that.." and then he was like "Well I do." And I saw him sign off. I got onto my other name to see if he blocked me and yeah..he blocked me!! First of all it's rare that I'm ever even ON my AIM second of all I think I would remember if I hate someone!!! Plus it's rare for me to hate anyone to be perfectly honest!! I have no clue what is even going on I'm all confused!! And I don't know what to do because the only way I can talk to Adam is on AIM and I think that if I get on my other name and try to talk to him he'll block me again!! Adam from what I know of is a good person and I really don't want to lose his friendship
post #2 of 25
So your thinking someone stole your name???...its possible..Maybe you could call Aol and see what they can tell you......

Make sure to change your password too.....just in case

and third....as unlikly as this is maybe hes just a wierd guy who couldnt think of any other way to stop talking to you....just a thought......

Im sorry though that you have to go through all this stuff.....its always sad if you lose a friend even if you have never met them.
post #3 of 25
I feel for your sadness..But honestly , I think its a little unhealthy for you to put the tremendous faith you seem to in online relationships where you have never spoken to the person or seen them in any real context.

I would like to think that I have certain f riends in certain online communities as well but I worry that you seem to put much of your emphasis in online relationships as a whole,whether it be a boyfriend you haven't met and then plan to go live in their state or someone you vaguely know who has blocked you for reasons only he knows..I don't mean to hurt your feelings but rather I am worried about your well-being as a whole when you relate these issues here.

I think you have alot going on and I think you should go meet people in the outside world that you might enjoy..What about a guitar class or something like that?
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy
I feel for your sadness..But honestly , I think its a little unhealthy for you to put the tremendous faith you seem to in online relationships where you have never spoken to the person or seen them in any real context.

I would like to think that I have certain f riends in certain online communities as well but I worry that you seem to put much of your emphasis in online relationships as a whole,whether it be a boyfriend you haven't met and then plan to go live in their state or someone you vaguely know who has blocked you for reasons only he knows..I don't mean to hurt your feelings but rather I am worried about your well-being as a whole when you relate these issues here.

I think you have alot going on and I think you should go meet people in the outside world that you might enjoy..What about a guitar class or something like that?
i was thinking almost everything she said! you really shouldnt dwell to much on it!
post #5 of 25
You need a hobby- one OFF the internet-
post #6 of 25
You are putting WAAAAY too much trust in these internet guys! I know you are young, but I agree with the other members who suggest a more positive outlet. What you have been getting into lately doesn't sound good.
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy
You need a hobby- one OFF the internet-

post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
Adam isn't exactly an internet friend..I started talking to him online..I know his brother because his brother went to my school...so therefore I was going to meet up with Adam. Him and his brother live a couple blocks down from me...
post #9 of 25
Yeah, I definitly think you have met your fair share of internet weirdos out there. Sop getting so upset about people you don't even know!
post #10 of 25
Sweetie, you need to get more of a real social life and spend less time trying to meet people online. Someone suggested a guitar class - yes!

My husband is a bass player too and he spends a lot of time practicing but not all the time. We all have to have something else in our lives beside our computer. What about joining your school band and getting involved in that area. You'll meet other musicians and probably forge some new friendships with real live people.

Maybe Adam just doesn't want to talk to you - maybe it's his issue not yours. Don't worry about it and get on with your life.

How is your relationship with your parents? Our daughter is 25 and we try to spend time together with her and as a family. We really enjoy hanging out together.

Get your mom to go to the mall with you and just window shop, have a coffee and talk. And listen. Sometimes parents have words of wisdom believe it or not and sometimes parents can learn from their kids. Give and take.
post #11 of 25
I am with all the other people posting advise here. You are way too preoccupied with people and relationships that are strictly over the internet. You say that this Adam is in your neighborhood - first too far away, then 2 blocks away - but you've never met? Honestly, you need to develop some friendships with the kids at school.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Axl_Gurl
Adam isn't exactly an internet friend..I started talking to him online..I know his brother because his brother went to my school...so therefore I was going to meet up with Adam. Him and his brother live a couple blocks down from me...
So walk down there and talk to him.....

Amber
post #13 of 25
If you want to keep him just walk or take a bike, people are different in reality, and its never what you planned on the computer.
post #14 of 25
My 2 cents....
So I'm a bit older (probably your parent age!!) And the internet wasn't around when I was growing up (in the 60's and 70's). So meet people the old fashioned way like others mentioned... IN PERSON! Too many wackos on the internet. You certainly have some interests that their are organizations/clubs you can join???
Volunteer at local animal shelter.
post #15 of 25
I have to agree with the others. When I read your post the first thought that crossed my mind was "not ANOTHER online problem". If you weren't only establishing relationships over the internet with these people the problems wouldn't exist. Why not become involved in an after school activity to meet people? Don't use IM as a sole way to establish and maintain friendships... You are young and need to be out having fun.
To be honest, I am suprised you are still mentioning these "online problems" here. It seems that the same group of us offer the same advice to you each time you post about them but you never listen. We aren't trying to be mean at all, we just want you to realize there is much more to life than the internet and even more importantly want you to be safe! If you were mine and I knew how much of an impact the internet was having on your life the home internet connection would have been disconnected a long time ago.

I did really like Gail's idea too! Why not go volunteer your time at your local animal shelter. They will really appreciate the help and it would be a really great opportunity for you to meet new people.
post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 
I do volunteer for the humane society but there is no one there my age. As for clubs at my school I'm not allowed to join any clubs or anything like that because I'm not even allowed in the main building because I go to the alternative school. So basically there's nothing here for me to do.
post #17 of 25
There must be something you can find to do to meet people somewhere around town. I think you might be missing the point...... It's important for you to do things other than focusing your life around relationships online. It just isn't healthy.....
post #18 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtle
There must be something you can find to do to meet people somewhere around town. I think you might be missing the point...... It's important for you to do things other than focusing your life around relationships online. It just isn't healthy.....
Thing is I don't focus my life on online relationships..

My friends offline I'm only able to talk to in school because my best friend here she lives all the way out in a completely different city and is always busy. I've only been to her house once. Plus I live out in the country and I don't have a car so it's hard for me to go anywhere really. Therefore..only entertainment is the computer. And the people that are online that I have become attatched to I've known them for at least 1 year. My best friend who is online who's from canada..I've known her for 2 years. I even call her up on the phone and she's the greatest person I've ever met.
post #19 of 25
Once again, you post about having long term friendships with people you only know via online. I am the parent of 2 teenagers. I will tell you that 98% of the people on their buddy lists and in their blog circles are people they KNOW from school or the neighborhood. It's time for you to start interacting with real poeple.
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Axl_Gurl
I do volunteer for the humane society but there is no one there my age. As for clubs at my school I'm not allowed to join any clubs or anything like that because I'm not even allowed in the main building because I go to the alternative school. So basically there's nothing here for me to do.
I don't know where you live, but it seems that most communities have a teen center and other groups like that. You could also get involved w/ sports or a job locally. It also seems you are into music, maybe you could try to find people w/ similar interests through lessons or associations. I sympathize b/c I grew up in a pretty boring town that didn't have a teen center till I was too old to go. I did meet some new people through my temple youth group. I don't know what faith you are or if you are religous or not but a lot of churches etc have youth groups.
post #21 of 25
I was going to suggest joining 4-H, but I think their cutoff age is 14
post #22 of 25
Ok well, I don't want you to feel like you can't tell us things. I understand what you mean about the online friend thing, and let's face it, we all become really involved in what we spend a lot of time with - and in some people's case it is the internet (I'm sure we've all been through our obsessive internet phases - I know I have!!), but what I want to know is....after school -what are your plans for the future?

PS - If this guy Adam thinks you hate him, and someone stole your IM name, that's just immature and dumb of him. If he can't take the time to find out the truth, just let it go. A normal mature person would say hey - I heard you said you hated me, what's up with that. And then you would explain - what? I never said that, and then after talking about it, it would clear up and that would be that.
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak&rocky
It also seems you are into music, maybe you could try to find people w/ similar interests through lessons or associations.

See if your parents will let you take guitar lessons or something like that. If they aren't open to the idea at first, do some research on how music lessons and classes can make you a better student, and show it to them. (It's true! Voice of experience here!)
In most towns, even the most rural, there are plenty of teens who are "outside" but cool and into music...as you seem to be. They also tend to be much cooler, nicer, and more accepting than kids you'll meet at school.
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Axl_Gurl
Adam from what I know of is a good person and I really don't want to lose his friendship
The thing is, if he felt the same way, he would have tried to talk things out with you instead of cutting you out of his life.

I sympathize with you not being able to meet anyone off-line, but you should know that most people on-line are...well, there's a reason they're not out meeting people in real life and it can't be because ALL of them are in the same situation as you. I used to think I was the only normal, sane, mentally balanced person on-line for a while!

I'm sure no one here would discourage making friends on-line completely because many of them have here as well and I'm sure they wouldn't consider their TCS friends less of friends than their real life friends...or maybe they would. I call my on-line friends "e-friends." You can turn them off and on when you feel like it. You can't see their expressions or hear their inflections in their voices; essentially, they are who you want them to be. A simple "hello" can be interpreted as "OMG HI! I'M SO GLAD YOU'RE ON!" or "ugh, why are you always bothering me?" depending on your mood and your disposition.

I'm not saying you couldn't be great friends with someone off-line that you met on-line, but until you meet that person in, well...person, you don't really know. So don't get so involved, sweetie. I know it's all romance and daydreams when you meet a new boy who seems (note the word SEEMS) to be Boy Wonder, but try not to get too excited until you actually meet him in person.

As for Alex, if you really care, just walk (how far is it exactly) if possible at all, and tell him it was all a mistake. If not, then don't worry about it. There are plenty....PLENTY... P L E N T Y... (i.e. A LOT! LOTS!) more fish where he came from.
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb25
Once again, you post about having long term friendships with people you only know via online. I am the parent of 2 teenagers. I will tell you that 98% of the people on their buddy lists and in their blog circles are people they KNOW from school or the neighborhood. It's time for you to start interacting with real poeple.
Iagree..not wanting to sound like such "a parent" ..but my almost 13 year old isn't allowed to IM people she doesn't know..This will stay the same until she gets her own computer and is old enough to evaluate strangers for herself..heck, even most adults can't do that You are likely lonely and I understand its hard making good friends and keeping them, but not in one of your online scenarios have I yet seen evidence of a good friend. If this Adam lives two blocks away and I was intent on knowing what his issue was, I would march over there. But I have to agree with the others...a friend doesn't block you out with no reason given. And I know Canadians are grand people but a best friend generally lives in the same country as you..There Has to be places other kids go in your area. I can't imagine they all sit home talking online.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I think someone hijacked my screen name..(Rant)