TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Anyone here have a beagle?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone here have a beagle?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Does anyone here have a beagle or know someone with a beagle? im just curious cause i may get one for free. Its 1 year old and a female. has all shots and is spayed. just wondering what their temperment are and if they are playful or what.
post #2 of 24
My husband had a beagle. He loved it. They seem to be very loyal dogs and good with kids. High energy, though!
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnicat
My husband had a beagle. He loved it. They seem to be very loyal dogs and good with kids. High energy, though!
so would you say they like to run around and play alot. and also how are they when they are caged or even fenced in an area. cause if i get her she would have to put in somethin while im at work and while my girlfriend would be at work.
post #4 of 24
I talked to my husband. He says if the dog is already over a year old, you need to know more about her first year. She may be a howler, as beagles bay a lot. If she's not used to being penned, you could have problems with your neighbors. My advice would be to research the breed online as well.
post #5 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnicat
I talked to my husband. He says if the dog is already over a year old, you need to know more about her first year. She may be a howler, as beagles bay a lot. If she's not used to being penned, you could have problems with your neighbors. My advice would be to research the breed online as well.
ok sounds good. as far as i know is that she is a year old and was taken care by an elderly couple and they cant handle her energy. if she is house trained and all that i guess i could check to see how long she has been alone for before and just see if she can stay out in my apartment.
post #6 of 24
Sounds good. Just be ready to wear off some of that little furry ball of energy when you get home from work each night!!!!
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnicat
Sounds good. Just be ready to wear off some of that little furry ball of energy when you get home from work each night!!!!

i would rather have a dog to play with then a cat that just lays around.
post #8 of 24
lol oh I hope you're ready for the responses you're going to get for that
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnicat
lol oh I hope you're ready for the responses you're going to get for that
oh im ready for the beating.

BRING IT ON!!!
post #10 of 24
Figured I'd get it started.
post #11 of 24
they bay, a lot. of course, goot crate training can break them of this habit, but it's time consuming. they're very cute and very exciteable and playful... but loud.
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnicat
Sounds good. Just be ready to wear off some of that little furry ball of energy when you get home from work each night!!!!

This is VERY true! My mom has one one and she has to let him out almost as soon as she gets home from work at night, not because he has to go potty (my little sister lets him out when my mom is gone) but because he's all wound up! After that, she even has to play fetch with him for awhile in order to get him to calm down. He is adorable though and makes a good pet. He doesn't bark unless someone is at the door or is playing. Another good thing about beagles is they have a fairly clean coat and don't have that "doggy smell". Good luck!

post #13 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiecusion
This is VERY true! My mom has one one and she has to let him out almost as soon as she gets home from work at night, not because he has to go potty (my little sister lets him out when my mom is gone) but because he's all wound up! After that, she even has to play fetch with him for awhile in order to get him to calm down. He is adorable though and makes a good pet. He doesn't bark unless someone is at the door or is playing. Another good thing about beagles is they have a fairly clean coat and don't have that "doggy smell". Good luck!

thanks for the information. yea i dont mind playing with a dog. i would actually enjoy it a lot. well see what type of doge she is and if im going to get her. hopefully she isnt too loud. and hopefully oscar will deal with it. if not hes gone.
post #14 of 24
Beagles are very very smart. And if they can get out of something they will. so make sure your yard is full proof with the fence. they are also hounds, thats why they Bay so much, and they can have a hound smell. No where near a basset but they can. they can also have a fairly good prey drive, so make sure you nip that in the bud if she goes for the kitty. Also make sure you monitor food intake carefully. They can get chubby..like Bassets. as well.
post #15 of 24
Yes, they do have a prey drive. My mom's dog often sniffs a lot especially when he's outside. He doesn't seem to want to come in if he's onto something. My mom has one cat (a 12 year old female) who doesn't get along with either one of the dogs, and will attack them for no apparent reason (she also does this with people). She wasn't abused or anything since we had her since birth. We have tried everything! She gets along with our other cat who is 4 years old (we also got her as a kitten). I forgot to mention....he does bark at some little things though (like the bugzapper in the backyard). My mom just doesn't turn it on when he's outside or can hear it. When that didn't work she gave it away because "Bozo doesn't like it". LOL He's so spoiled! But even with her she can be testy at times. We have a gate at the top of the stairs that the beagle can't get to, but our other cat can. Bozo (the beagle) gets along fine with our younger cat (they practically grew up together). They play together a lot, but she lets him know when she's done playing or doesn't want to. She'll swat towards him without touching him and walks away. My mom has a queen size bed that she shares with both the dog and the cat. Bozo is only 4, but he is in excellent shape. Just like any pet, they need their exersize to stay fit. I'm sure you'll have no problems with that though!

post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiecusion
Yes, they do have a prey drive. My mom's dog often sniffs a lot especially when he's outside. He doesn't seem to want to come in if he's onto something. My mom has one cat (a 12 year old female) who doesn't get along with either one of the dogs, and will attack them for no apparent reason (she also does this with people). She wasn't abused or anything since we had her since birth. We have tried everything! She gets along with our other cat who is 4 years old (we also got her as a kitten). I forgot to mention....he does bark at some little things though (like the bugzapper in the backyard). My mom just doesn't turn it on when he's outside or can hear it. When that didn't work she gave it away because "Bozo doesn't like it". LOL He's so spoiled! But even with her she can be testy at times. We have a gate at the top of the stairs that the beagle can't get to, but our other cat can. Bozo (the beagle) gets along fine with our younger cat (they practically grew up together). They play together a lot, but she lets him know when she's done playing or doesn't want to. She'll swat towards him without touching him and walks away. My mom has a queen size bed that she shares with both the dog and the cat. Bozo is only 4, but he is in excellent shape. Just like any pet, they need their exersize to stay fit. I'm sure you'll have no problems with that though!


my only concern right now is if i get the dog, is leaving the dog alone for a whole day. im sure if it is housetrained it would do ok in that sense but im thinking more a long the lines of the dog barking and howling cause its alone. and also if i pen it up it can only bark and howl even more cause its penned up. but these are more questions i will ask whn i possibly see the dog.
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiecusion
Yes, they do have a prey drive. My mom's dog often sniffs a lot especially when he's outside. He doesn't seem to want to come in if he's onto something. My mom has one cat (a 12 year old female) who doesn't get along with either one of the dogs, and will attack them for no apparent reason (she also does this with people). She wasn't abused or anything since we had her since birth. We have tried everything! She gets along with our other cat who is 4 years old (we also got her as a kitten). I forgot to mention....he does bark at some little things though (like the bugzapper in the backyard). My mom just doesn't turn it on when he's outside or can hear it. When that didn't work she gave it away because "Bozo doesn't like it". LOL He's so spoiled! But even with her she can be testy at times. We have a gate at the top of the stairs that the beagle can't get to, but our other cat can. Bozo (the beagle) gets along fine with our younger cat (they practically grew up together). They play together a lot, but she lets him know when she's done playing or doesn't want to. She'll swat towards him without touching him and walks away. My mom has a queen size bed that she shares with both the dog and the cat. Bozo is only 4, but he is in excellent shape. Just like any pet, they need their exersize to stay fit. I'm sure you'll have no problems with that though!


hehe yeah I have worked with beagles alot. they are stinkers for sure. I have noticed the biggest diffrence between Basset Hounds and Beagles, aside from bassets longer ears and droopey eyes as well as the face set is the prey drive. although bassets are sniffers and trackers..they will usually only scare the animal or tree it like a coon hound, lol beagles will capture it
post #18 of 24
My dad has had several beagles. He just loves them. They are sweet, loving and so cute. But they can wiggle out of the smallest holes in the fence and go baying off. Sort of ignoring you when you call if what she is chasing is more interesting than you. Selective hearing I call it. But I love them too. Oh and they will overeat. We have had several chubby ones. Definately watch that. They are quite good at sneaking your food away.

Tricia
post #19 of 24
Bozo generally sleeps on the couch almost the entire time my mom is at work. Then, when my mom is about to come home (within 2 hours), he moves to the floor and watches the door! My younger sister only stays with my mom every other week. (joint custody). My mom works 2nd shift. However, we do believe he behaves the same way whether my sister is there or not. He truly is my mom's baby! If house training, barking, or anything like that is a problem....it may be a good idea to crate her when you're gone....at least until you truly get to know one another.

post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiecusion
Bozo generally sleeps on the couch almost the entire time my mom is at work. Then, when my mom is about to come home (within 2 hours), he moves to the floor and watches the door! My younger sister only stays with my mom every other week. (joint custody). My mom works 2nd shift. However, we do believe he behaves the same way whether my sister is there or not. He truly is my mom's baby! If house training, barking, or anything like that is a problem....it may be a good idea to crate her when you're gone....at least until you truly get to know one another.

thats probably the route i will go. someone also mentioned leaving a radio on low to give them the idea that maybe someone is home. also the dog would be home with our cat so she wouldnt be entirely all alone.
post #21 of 24
I want a beagle! We're getting a new bitch soon, hopefully one that's a few years old. We can't handle puppies. Mum wants a Great Dane though!

I hope you get her, let us know if you do
post #22 of 24
Great dogs! Typical of most hounds they have an overdeveloped sense of smell, which makes them very scent oriented. (All dogs are scent oriented, but the selectively developed sense of smell in scent hounds creates a strong focus in this area.) As with all scent hounds, they also may tend to dig (again - the component of the scent thing.)

Also, as with other hounds, they tend to be pack oriented, which generally translates to very outgoing and social. (This is again a function of low level inate behavior present in all dogs - often referred to simply as "pack orientation" - being overdeveloped through selective breeding over many generations.)

Here's some info on crate training which may be helpful:
http://www.dogsled.net/Education/crate.htm
post #23 of 24
My parents have a beagle. Hank is about 10 years old and doesn't bark much. Since the back yard is surrounded by a brick wall, with a concrete foundation, he can't dig out of it.

Hank is a very friendly dog and gets along well, with all of the other dogs (my parents have four). At night, he shares a crate with Molly, the Basset hound. Hank's only "bad" habit is chewing on shoelaces. He'll trip a person, in a heartbeat.
post #24 of 24
My aunt has a beagle. She's a normally sweet dog, but got into the habbit of biting strangers as she got older. Beagles also tend to be prone to being fat. Other than that, I love them! My aunt's is doing well with her new kitten.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Anyone here have a beagle?