Anybody have experience with Rescue Remedy???

sandsoftime

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm getting ready to fly with Otis from Los Angeles to Chicago, and my vet suggested that I give him Rescue Remedy for the flight in order to calm him. He DEFINETELY needs to be calmed somehow, and I hope that this is the right product to safely do that.

Has anybody used this before? The vet said to place two drops "under his tongue," which seems like it would be difficult to accomplish. And, to readminister it to him during the flight should he become panicked.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SandsOfTime

I'm getting ready to fly with Otis from Los Angeles to Chicago, and my vet suggested that I give him Rescue Remedy for the flight in order to calm him. He DEFINETELY needs to be calmed somehow, and I hope that this is the right product to safely do that.

Has anybody used this before? The vet said to place two drops "under his tongue," which seems like it would be difficult to accomplish. And, to readminister it to him during the flight should he become panicked.
I have it and I tested it on my cat and on myself, and I can honestly say I didn't feel anything. And didn't notice any difference whatsoever in my cat.
Now, when my cat was on xanax, there was a definite difference. I tried xanax myself for flying (I am scared of flying) and it definetly works for anxiety, LOL.
Could your vet actually prescribe something to the cat instead of using rescue remedy. Honestly, maybe some people find it useful, but I thougth it was completely useless. I also tried feliway, some people recommend spraying the carrier with it to calm the cat down, but I didn't think it made any difference for my cat. Now, with xanax, he was much better when sitting at the vets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandsoftime

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet actually did prescribe something called aceprozamine (sp?), but it seems that everybody I talk with recommends against sedating a pet for travelling purposes.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not sedate your cat either. Rescue Remedy works on some cats and some cats it does not. A better bet is to brew a strong batch of camomille tea prior to travel, cool it down and add it to the cat's water- dribble some tuna juice in it for added flavor, but the tea will calm the cat down. Keep the carrier covered if it is nice cool spot, and put some vanilla extract under the cat's chin prior to loading the cat into the carrier (this will help neutralize all the scents the cat will be hit with) Also take a few pipecleaners, push them through the carrier- way up by the roof and attach lightweight feather toys to the end, twist the cleaners to keep them intact- these are stress releasers for the cat, he can bat them around when he gets nervous. Line the carrier bottom with puppy pee pads and spray the inside with Feliway Spray - all this will help more than sedating your cat completely for travel

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My vet actually did prescribe something called aceprozamine (sp?), but it seems that everybody I talk with recommends against sedating a pet for travelling purposes.
Do they say why?
Rescue remedy seemed pretty much useless to me, but it doesn't hurt anything if you try it (except for your wallet).

sandsoftime

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hissy - Thanks for all the great advice!

btw, do you happen to know if I can do a mixture of those things?
For example, if I give him Rescue Remedy AND chamomile tea or use vanilla extract, will the combination of things be too much for him?

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would definitely NOT tranquilize your cat - he may not be used tothe medication and can smother or if you are travelling by air, it can afect his breathing - and airlines have little O2 as it is.

I use Rescue Remedy with YY. I always give her some before a vet visit - I just put a few drops on her tongue and she does not mind - I have been doing it since she was a baby and it helps her. It takes awhile to work tho - sov you need to administer it to your kitty an hr or so before a flight.

Another natural alternative is cocculine - found in health food stores. My vet recommends this over Rescue Remedy tho I prefer RR. A friend swears by cocculine - her kitty hates to travel and when she brings her on a car trip, cocculine lets her kitty sleep without a tranquilizer. I get cocculine and RR at a grocery store (SuperStore - also known as Loblaws or Provigo in Quebec) but they can be both found in health food stores.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can combine what I mentioned without danger to your cat. I know nothing about cocculine, never heard of it so I can't comment on that, other than to say your cat should be fully awake and relaxed during this trip and not drugged out asleep.

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I prob misphrased cocculine - I had not heard of it either till thius friend and my vet referred it. It acts similarly to Rescue Remedy. I don't believe in a drugged out cat on a trip - or anywhere for that matter, (unless the kitty is quite ill). I think coculine may be a herbal supplement common in French areas. It is indicated for nausea and I have taken it myself for that, since discovering it. I do not feel I know enough about it to recommend to human patients tho - say for nausea during chemo but there are some good meds for that now.My friend's cat is calm thru the trip and that is what I meant to convey - sleeping on occasion apparently. It may be hard to find in the US, I don't know. I know here it is found at these grocery stores and is also promoted by Pharmacie Jean Coutu which is based in Quebec (tho recently purcahsed many of the Eckart's (sp?) chain)

sandsoftime

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help!
I've decided not to give Otis the tranqs, but I will bring them along as an absolute last resort. He tends to get REALLY scared in some situations, but I'm thinking that it probably won't be necessary.

I got the Rescue Remedy and put a drop in his mouth (I couldn't manage to get it under his tongue). I didn't notice any calming effect really, but he also didn't react in any bad way either. So, I guess I'll give this a try on the day of the flight.

Do you happen to know how soon is too soon to readminister the RR to him? For example, if the calming effect seems to wear off in the middle of the flight, can I give him a couple more drops? Is it possible for him to take too much?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used it and I don't think it did anything. Other than make the cat pull a funny face, anyway.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

I've used it and I don't think it did anything. Other than make the cat pull a funny face, anyway.
Yep, I also thought it was a waste of money.

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rescue Remedy worked great for my cat. It made truly an amazing difference in his anxiety level about going to the vet!!!

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RR doesn't work on Moose, but Bach's Beech essence does. I take two drops and rub in into his fur on the top of his head, and he "chills" out after a little while.

dwmeowmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the help!
Do you happen to know how soon is too soon to readminister the RR to him? For example, if the calming effect seems to wear off in the middle of the flight, can I give him a couple more drops? Is it possible for him to take too much?
If you can't get it under his tougue or in his mouth, you can also rub it on his ears. I personally use a combo of Feliway Spray and RR. Works great for me & my 4 furballs. Because RR is a flower essense you literally can't overdose on RR. I searched for a recommended dosage for you:

In particularly stressful situations, giving 2-3 drops of RR every 15 to 30 minutes until the stressful situation has passed is most effective. http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-...cue_remedy.htm

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few months ago, right after my boyfriend and I moved in together there was an incident which included my cat, a large amount of water, crashing and yelling (for which I was not home for). This, combined with the stress of moving ended with my normally very calm cat hiding under the bed for a number of hours.
when I got home, and tried to unsuccessfully get him out, and then waiting for awhile to no avail. Eventually I pulled him (kicking and screaming) out from under the bed, grabbed my rescue remedy and gave him a whole eyedropper (about 4 drops) directly in the mouth.
Within 20 mins he was cautiously walking down the hall again and was not hiding under the bed.

I really wasn't a believer in rescue remedy's abilities until then. I just had it around the house because I tried it on myself once and thought it wouldn't hurt to try it on him. I have now started using it occasionally myself and it will be something I keep in the house at all times from now on.

phillygal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep it around the house too. It worked very well for my late rescued dog who had been abused previously in her life and who had multiple "issues", but was very sweet nonetheless. She responded beautifully and it did calm her down. I have never had the need to try it on a cat, but would not hesitate to do so.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
RR worked on Ku Ku. I started giving it to Ku Ku about a week before the date of travel. It really did calm her down

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I had never heard of this until recently when someone on another thread recommended t for my formerly mentally abused foster cat who freaks out from any new person walking in, he literally bounces off the walls trying to get out of the room where this new person is. I put 4 drops on 4 pieces of kibble which he is not supposed to have but loves dearly about an hour before a prospective cat parent showed up. He was as calm as could be, wary  but nevertheless let her pet him and eventually sat in her lap for a short time. A few days later I did the same with another prospective cat parent with the same result. So far one of them turned out to be not suitable, she has a little yappy dog and seems to be a little unbalanced herself and I have not heard back from the other. I just wonder how often I can give this to the cat as when he does not have it he is his usual fearful self, runs from me and acts as if I were going to beat him, I have never even raised my voice to him. He has been with me for over two years and he is much better but I need to find him a forever home. He is now 4 1/2 years old. I know this is an old thread, I hope somebody still looks at it.