TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Did they google me?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Did they google me?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
...am I just paranoid?

Ok, let me explain: I have been job hunting and recently sent a resume to a job in another state (to a college) Anyways, I have a little blog, nothing major, but for family and friends. I put a stat/counter on the blog just out of curiosity of who actually reads it. Well...just yesterday I got a hit on the blog from this college I applied to! (I am able to see where the hits are from, not who or anything...) It could be coincidence but gosh a big one.
I have never had a hit from them before, don't get that many hits. My name (real name)is fairly common but I know when you google it my blog comes up pretty high on the list.

Do ya think they looked me up? Is this common at job searches now, to google the person?
post #2 of 28
It wouldn't surprise me if they did. It's cheaper than a full background search to find anything glaring to narrow down the candidates.
post #3 of 28
I wouldnt put it past employers to google someone. These days they check your credit history and run backgrounds...its crazy how easy it is to find info out about people with the internet!
post #4 of 28
What an eye-opener!! It's scary all the info that entities can collect these days. Sometimes I'm tempted to not use my market discount-cards & ATM card,just so I have some privacy....CREEPY! I didn't realize employers will do that...
post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
I'm still a little in shock cause really I didn't think at the resume application level they looked at you so closely. I can even see doing that if you are a finalist. Oh well, I didn't put anything odd on my blog, it's pretty conservative but still it's something for "off work" times so I don't want an employer to read it.

But you know I refuse to get rid of my blog,it's somethingthat a few friends of mine and I enjoy and I don't want to lose that connection.
post #6 of 28
Marge, I wouldn't be surprised if they did google you. This is the age of NO PRIVACY.
post #7 of 28
wow, that's wierd. If I had a blog i would NOT want my work to see it. That's the point of a blog! Its an online journal.....I guess that's just what we have to expect now with the internet. No privacy......
Are you sure you want to work for a company that would do such an odd search on you?
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey
wow, that's wierd. If I had a blog i would NOT want my work to see it. That's the point of a blog! Its an online journal.....I guess that's just what we have to expect now with the internet. No privacy......
Are you sure you want to work for a company that would do such an odd search on you?
Well if they rule me out because of it I agree, I wouldn't want them.

The thing is I can see if I advertised the blog but I don't.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marge
Well if they rule me out because of it I agree, I wouldn't want them.

The thing is I can see if I advertised the blog but I don't.
Yeah, its not like you put the address on the bottom of your resume!
Instead of "references upon request" we might have to start putting "blog URL on request"
post #10 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey
Yeah, its not like you put the address on the bottom of your resume!
Instead of "references upon request" we might have to start putting "blog URL on request"
Exactly! I dont'. IN fact for job huntingI use a yahoo address exclusively set up for job hunts and not my personal account name that is my blog name too!
post #11 of 28
Personally, I don't know why people want to keep a personal (diary-like) online journal for the entire world to see..especially when the person gives complete, personal information almost down to the social security number. To me, this is a choice of giving up privacy and not someone trying to take it away from them. Is it fair that an employer uses it to evaluate a potential employee's ability to perform a job? On one hand, I say "No. It's not fair". On the other hand, I say "if you don't want the world to know your personal business, then don't make it public and available for the world to see."
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyyfaber
Marge, I wouldn't be surprised if they did google you. This is the age of NO PRIVACY.
This may be the college's cheapo version of a background check (which many employers conduct).
post #13 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCharlotte
Personally, I don't know why people want to keep a personal (diary-like) online journal for the entire world to see..especially when the person gives complete, personal information almost down to the social security number. To me, this is a choice of giving up privacy and not someone trying to take it away from them. Is it fair that an employer uses it to evaluate a potential employee's ability to perform a job? On one hand, I say "No. It's not fair". On the other hand, I say "if you don't want the world to know your personal business, then don't make it public and available for the world to see."
On one end I agree, although mine does not show any personal info, just some thoughts that aren't journal like so much as world events or broad strokes on personal events. On theother, I have never thought I was important enough, or going for the type of jobs to worry about it. Plus I am a writer by hobby so my work is "out there" so to speak.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCharlotte
Personally, I don't know why people want to keep a personal (diary-like) online journal for the entire world to see..especially when the person gives complete, personal information almost down to the social security number. To me, this is a choice of giving up privacy and not someone trying to take it away from them. Is it fair that an employer uses it to evaluate a potential employee's ability to perform a job? On one hand, I say "No. It's not fair". On the other hand, I say "if you don't want the world to know your personal business, then don't make it public and available for the world to see."
I see your point, but there's sort of a moral, ethical part to it to. For example, I work in a hospital where I can see people's reports. Now, I can access my friends, or look up people I know, etc., but I don't because it's none of my business. So, my point is, just because you have access doesn't mean you should look.
post #15 of 28
I don't doubt you were googled.
I always blog under pseudonymns anymore for just that reason.
post #16 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn
I don't doubt you were googled.
I always blog under pseudonymns anymore for just that reason.
You know it's funny, I don't know whether or not to feel flattered or what? I didn't expect to be a finalist for this job.

Anyways< i realize I have been in this niche for a long time, same job etc so didn't think in terms of my public profile.

I really can't just delete my blog just yet. I have peopleI keep in touch with via that blog!
post #17 of 28
when I got my job they looked on the assessment office site at pictures and values of my house before I got hired. I thought that was weird. Of course i can't prove it, but my house was saved on my computer when I first started.
post #18 of 28
I work for a fortune 10 company and I know that they do background checks, most likely credit bureau pull and bond us all when we are hired due to job descriptions. Perhaps "googling" names is something they do know as part of the search. For all we know employers check court websites to see if a person has a arrest record!!

Good luck on the job search.

I personally don't know much about blogs and as long as ther isn't anything to personal I really wouldn't worry. Maybe someone was checking your writing skills????????
post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC
I work for a fortune 10 company and I know that they do background checks, most likely credit bureau pull and bond us all when we are hired due to job descriptions. Perhaps "googling" names is something they do know as part of the search. For all we know employers check court websites to see if a person has a arrest record!!

Good luck on the job search.

I personally don't know much about blogs and as long as ther isn't anything to personal I really wouldn't worry. Maybe someone was checking your writing skills????????
Yeah I know, it's likely not a big item since I am not doing any covert stuff, but it feels weird.
post #20 of 28
I was really surprised yesterday by my bank when they called to double check something I asked htem to do. For security they asked me some weird questions unlike anything I had ever told them. Then when it was all OK the guy told me he had checked my personal web site to get an idea of what to ask me! I know it is all out there, but I never expected the bank to look it up!
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyyfaber
Marge, I wouldn't be surprised if they did google you. This is the age of NO PRIVACY.

That is for sure, Doesn't matter what it is, no one has privacy any more.
post #22 of 28
But what if they got a different person with the same name? seems a bit pointless and innacurate to me. though i dont doubt they did it.
post #23 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten
But what if they got a different person with the same name? seems a bit pointless and innacurate to me. though i dont doubt they did it.
Good point, it'sinteresting, I live in a fairly large town, not huge but a big place and there are two people with my full name. So yeah it could be either of us.
post #24 of 28
Each day the internet becomes more and more apart of everyones lives...i couldnt imagine life without it!! But it is scary, and to think that by the time i have kids what it will be like!....and thats only 3 or 4 yrs away! lol
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten
But what if they got a different person with the same name? seems a bit pointless and innacurate to me. though i dont doubt they did it.
Good point.

Nothings private these days is it.
post #26 of 28
Oooh that is creepy

Heh.. if I had a blog and a college I applied to looked at it... well they would probably burn my application and throw holy water on it just because I can be really really strange at times

If you know where to look you can find out where people live and all about them... its scary.
post #27 of 28
I agree that the internet makes the world a bit scary, and there are lots of ways that our privacy is invaded all the time. But really, I don't include someone reading your blog in this big "invasion of privacy" thing. It's posted on the internet! What measures have you taken to ensure your privacy? The whole premise of the web is that anyone can find your information out there.

I see situations all the time, where people blog, and then get upset or in trouble by something they wrote. You must assume that anyone and everyone can read it. That's the point of putting it on the web. If you want privacy, then use a medium that is not public.

This is not the same as someone working with confidential records, like in a hospital or in a bank. Those are private, because access to them is strictly controlled.

It's just a big warning sign to anyone who writes a blog, you have to assume, all the time, that strangers are going to be reading it. And possibly acquaintenances, and employers, so don't write stuff you don't want them to read.
post #28 of 28
I have heard stories of ppl who had blogs,then wrote stuff about their job or co-workers, then their job found out and they got in trouble.
I am too paranoid to have a blog,and even if I did, I'd be totally anonymous.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Did they google me?