TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Give Me Your Opinion on This....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Give Me Your Opinion on This....

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Some of you know that I am scheduled to take in Thomas, Cooper, and Abby to get fixed next Wednesday and I wanted to ask your opinion on something.

I have been thinking of asking my vet if I can be there during the surgery. He's known me for quite some time and he knows that I'm a nurse and I suspect that he might let me do it. I've just always been so fascinated with anything medical, but all I've ever been able to see is "human" medical stuff.....including numerous surgeries and procedures.

I think it would be so interesting to be present during their surgery so I can see how they actually neuter and spay and also to see him remove the ear polyp if Thomas does have one. My vet does the neutering in a way that leaves the boys "looking like boys" so I think it would be cool to see how he does that. And I'd love to see a spay. The only reason I can think of that he might say no is that in the event something went wrong during surgery.....the doc might worry that I'd freak or something since it would be MY babies on the operating table. If something like that happened, I could just leave the room.

What do you all think? Am I nuts? Would you want to see your cat's surgery?
post #2 of 27
I ask ALL THE TIME. I always ask. I know you're taking the day off to do this and it's perfectly normal to ask and watch.... but many, if not all, doctors say no. It's a matter of bacterial liability and malpractice insurance rates! It's more so from their lawyers saying "don't let anybody in there because there is no way you can control or predict the owner's reactions and you must have nothing but certified professionals with you at all times." But ask, can't hurt! I bet you wish you had a kitty cam!
post #3 of 27
It would all depend on the situation..in a life-threatening emergency situation, I would like to be there.
post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashacat421
I ask ALL THE TIME. I always ask. I know you're taking the day off to do this and it's perfectly normal to ask and watch.... but many, if not all, doctors say no. It's a matter of bacterial liability and malpractice insurance rates! It's more so from their lawyers saying "don't let anybody in there because there is no way you can control or predict the owner's reactions and you must have nothing but certified professionals with you at all times." But ask, can't hurt! I bet you wish you had a kitty cam!
Well I wonder if the fact that I'm a nurse might help. I know all about sterile procedures and I know what not to touch and how not to break the sterile field. In fact, I wouldn't even touch anything at all....unless he decided to get me involved and let me see things better.

I may email my vet tonight and just ask him. Yep.....my vet actually gave me his email address so that I could send him Thomas and Cooper pictures. He just loves these guys!
post #5 of 27
I was able to watch Skinny's surgery! I wasn't in the OR but in the observation room beside it.
The others I was unable to see. But if I asked, the vet would have let me watch.
post #6 of 27
Well good luck. I wanted to spend the night with Sasha in ICU after the mauling, but no. And I wanted to be there when they drained some of the wounds from his neck. but no. They let me sit by his cage all I wanted, for as long as I wanted ALL DAY, but I was not allowed in the procedure room. Let us know!
post #7 of 27
As much as I find anatomy interesting, I don't think I could watch any of my pets get surgery. I do think I could watch someone else's pet being operated on though (being that I'm not emotionally attached to someone else's pet).

My dad had asked the vet years ago to watch our dog's surgery and the vet said "OK". I think as long as the vet knows you and understands you're interested in the surgery from a medical pont of view rather than a "I'm gonna watch you because I'm paranoid" than I say go for it.
post #8 of 27
If thats what you would like to do I wish all the good luck I have to make it happen

But I could not do it just thinking about it now is makeing me feel sick but then I'm a big sook
post #9 of 27
Our vet let Jennifer (our daughter) watch when our other cat Simba was neutered. She said it was very interesting.

I think you being a nurse might pull some weight. Good luck.
post #10 of 27
I am an aspiring veterinarian, so I love to observe the surgical procedures, however, I'm not sure if I'd want to see my own cat's surgery. My cat just got neutered today, and I wanted to see if I could go and stay, but, I think I'd make the vet nervous with all the nervous questions I'd be asking, like, "Why are you doing that? Is that necessary? Oh! Won't that hurt him?" That, and I don't think I'd want to see my kitty being cut open... just wouldn't be able to stand it.

When we got my cat home, he started walking funny! He was walking with his legs apart! It was hilarious! But, I felt bad for him. And then he started cleaning himself, and looked at me, as if he was saying, "LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO ME!!!!!"
post #11 of 27
Being that you are a nurse and know the vet well you may be able to watch
When I worked in the vets office as kennel help I was allowed to watch all the time from the observation room and I also saw a cat's ears get a deep cleaning! That one was fun, I was allowed to "help" Just handing the vet tech gauze pads but hey, was still great!
Let us know!!
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKook
...Am I nuts? Would you want to see your cat's surgery?
Yep! Seriously? I think it would be better to see a 'strange' cat, one you weren't so attached to, in case anything did go wrong.
post #13 of 27
i am taking a microbiology class right now and there are a whole bunch of vet techs that sit at my table... they are constantly talking about screw ups in the operating room and stuff like that, i am horrified... i asked them where they worked at... and one of the girls giggled and said 'why, so you can not bring your animals here' and i looked at her very serious and said 'yes, exactly', i dont want you guys giving my animal to much of this, or accidentally giving them that, and what-not...i would want to be present not just because i think it would be cool, but to supervise... the impression that i am getting is these vet techs goof off during every surgery and the vet doesnt do anything about it, and they mess with these animals lives on purpose, then come to school and switch stories and brag about it... no way, how in the world are they still working....
post #14 of 27
I'm a nervous reck when it comes to Limerick and surgery. Just like parents can not be in th eoperating room with thier childern, owners should not be able to be in the room with htier pets. It lead to sanitation problems too!!!
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mferr84
i am taking a microbiology class right now and there are a whole bunch of vet techs that sit at my table... they are constantly talking about screw ups in the operating room and stuff like that, i am horrified... i asked them where they worked at... and one of the girls giggled and said 'why, so you can not bring your animals here' and i looked at her very serious and said 'yes, exactly', i dont want you guys giving my animal to much of this, or accidentally giving them that, and what-not...i would want to be present not just because i think it would be cool, but to supervise... the impression that i am getting is these vet techs goof off during every surgery and the vet doesnt do anything about it, and they mess with these animals lives on purpose, then come to school and switch stories and brag about it... no way, how in the world are they still working....
They are at school and are still learning the ropes. My sister is a VEt TEch major and I assure you they are all buisness. She attends Wilson College, a women's college in HCanbersburgh PA. They neutered my Limerick 2 months ago and did a great job. He seemed to enjoy himself.
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by eburgess
They are at school and are still learning the ropes. My sister is a VEt TEch major and I assure you they are all buisness. She attends Wilson College, a women's college in HCanbersburgh PA. They neutered my Limerick 2 months ago and did a great job. He seemed to enjoy himself.
so are you saying they make up these stories? i understand that they are still in school, but when they come to class and dont express any consideration for the animals that they are talking about, that worries me... i dont know what goes on, they may very well be elaborating on the stories, but just the things that they say makes me uncomfortable, and i would not voluntarily take any animal to the clinic they are working in(i think they work at different ones around town), that is the point i was getting at... the vet that i take my cat too, i trust them 110% i know that they are all business, but there are some vets out there that are not as good as the others and are not all business... i dont know, but anyone who laughs about giving a dog that just came out of surgery that was given too much medicine and was seizing... we're talking life and death, how could someone laugh at that...
post #17 of 27
I would definitely be present if Beau needed to have surgery.
post #18 of 27
Absolutely, and I constantly please with Sierra's Drs. to allow me to be present when she undergoes procedures. They care not in the least that I'm an RN, the answer is always no...
post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra
Absolutely, and I constantly please with Sierra's Drs. to allow me to be present when she undergoes procedures. They care not in the least that I'm an RN, the answer is always no...
So you're a nurse too? And they still won't let you come in? Well I'm still going to ask.....it couldn't hurt....and all they can say is "no."

So where do you work......clinic or hospital? I work on a medicine/oncology floor at the hospital.
post #20 of 27
I voted not sure, not that i'm squemish but because i got upset when i had to hand them over to the nurse to be spayed so goodness knows what i'd be like watching it?!

I suppose with you being in nursing it helps though
post #21 of 27
I voted no because I don't think I would be able to cope with seeing them being cut! I a, not squeemish in the slightest, but am scared of needles, so don't even really like seeing them have boosters. I would be terrified of seeing something go wrong
post #22 of 27
There's no way I could watch. I would like to be close at hand, but watch the operation.........no way. WAY TO squemish!!!
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mferr84
so are you saying they make up these stories? i understand that they are still in school, but when they come to class and dont express any consideration for the animals that they are talking about, that worries me... i dont know what goes on, they may very well be elaborating on the stories, but just the things that they say makes me uncomfortable, and i would not voluntarily take any animal to the clinic they are working in(i think they work at different ones around town), that is the point i was getting at... the vet that i take my cat too, i trust them 110% i know that they are all business, but there are some vets out there that are not as good as the others and are not all business... i dont know, but anyone who laughs about giving a dog that just came out of surgery that was given too much medicine and was seizing... we're talking life and death, how could someone laugh at that...
Yes... there are some bad vets. Unfortunately, we found one the hard way, and it cost my puppy's life. But not all vets are bad or corrupt. There are some good ones out there, too. In fact, there are more good, than bad.
post #24 of 27
The above "bad" vet I was talking about above... well, she brought us into the back room when we were their to pick up my puppy dog, and there was a dog all cut open, lying on the table. My mom was sick with a cold, and none of the techs, nor the vet wore masks, or surgical suits. She performed the operations o a countertop, the same place she cared for other animals not requiring surgery, even shots, and very very sick kittens or cats. NO SANITARY PRECAUTIONS AT ALL!!!! I used to volunteer at that vet, and I quit going there because of all the stuff that went on.
post #25 of 27
I voted not sure, I don't think I would like to be present - quite frankly it doesn't interest me and I'd probably get bored!
post #26 of 27
I voted no way. I have witnessed my vet perform surgeries at his office but always on other people's pets. It's fascinating but I don't think I would like to see my own under a knife. I'd probably cry as he started cutting them and then I would be in the way of the surgery.
post #27 of 27
If most of you recall, I was hysterical about Conner's procedure,,and it was a simple one!! I cant decide if it would have made it better or worse for me to be there,,my guess is probably worse. Ive seen operations before and am not in the least bit squeemish or bothered by them, but I almost couldnt even give Conner to the vet tech, when I heard him crying for me, I almost ran back there, snatched him away, and took off running with him,hehehe. So no, I guess I would have just been way to shaken up to watch.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Give Me Your Opinion on This....