TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat's Meow › "Angels & Demons"...amazing book!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Angels & Demons"...amazing book!

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
I've just started reading "Angels & Demons " by Dan Brown and I can't put it down! I decided to start with this book cuz it's the prequal (sp?) to "Da Vinci's Code" and I thought I should start at the beginning and I have to say again...It's Great! I would recommend it as a definte read. Has anyone else read anything by Dan Brown (besides "Da Vinci's Code")?
post #2 of 27
DaVinci code made me read "Angels and Demons". It isn't as good as the code but the subject matter is very interesting. I enjoy reading novels with a "what if" scenarios and this one definitely falls into that category.
post #3 of 27
Yup, I've read both of them. I thought it was very interesting, however I have a bad habit when there's a mystery in a book to read it very fast, more like skimming, to find out what happened!

I definately liked "The Da Vinci Code" better though! I was looking into getting another of his books the other day, but for some reason I didn't.
post #4 of 27
I found A&D to be a fun read as well and I would recommend to others, although there were a couple of things that really irked me. I won't mention them now, as I don't want to spoil anything for you I thought it became more interesting after the killing started (what does that say about me, I wonder?)

I'm interested in reading Code, but I refuse to buy it in hardback, it hasn't come out in paperback yet and no one has lent it to me yet
post #5 of 27
Thread Starter 
LOL... . I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback too (or borrowing it from a friend). Buying a new novel in hardcover can be sooo expensive sometimes, even thought the Chapters by my work does have great sales sometimes it'll probably be a while before the price on "Da Vinci's Code" goes down.
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper Girl
LOL... . I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback too (or borrowing it from a friend). Buying a new novel in hardcover can be sooo expensive sometimes, even thought the Chapters by my work does have great sales sometimes it'll probably be a while before the price on "Da Vinci's Code" goes down.
Tell me about it! I have over 400 hard cover books sitting in my basement since we moved and I can't give them away! I've called the library, hospitals, senior's home, second-hand bookstores - you name it. I've finally just e-mailed my spreadsheet to some friends, told them to pick the ones they want and I'll pull them out and my husband is going to toss the rest in the big trash bin they have at his work.
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite
Tell me about it! I have over 400 hard cover books sitting in my basement since we moved and I can't give them away! I've called the library, hospitals, senior's home, second-hand bookstores - you name it. I've finally just e-mailed my spreadsheet to some friends, told them to pick the ones they want and I'll pull them out and my husband is going to toss the rest in the big trash bin they have at his work.

Wait, why don't you want hard cover books? I'll take em!
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226
Wait, why don't you want hard cover books? I'll take em!
We downsized to a smaller house and I just don't have the room for 12+ boxes of books.
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite
We downsized to a smaller house and I just don't have the room for 12+ boxes of books.
Got it. My parents downsized and had to get rid of a ton of my books... could you take them to a half-priced book store?
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite
I have over 400 hard cover books sitting in my basement since we moved and I can't give them away!
One more thing you could try (if you're so inclined) is freecycle.org. It's a yahoo group, broken down by regions and you have to register but it's free. It's all about giving away things to people who want the stuff you don't - instead of dumping it in the landfill.
post #11 of 27
I have never read DaVinci Code. Is it good?
post #12 of 27
I thought it was great - I'm not much into mystery novels but it grabbed me!
post #13 of 27
I thoroughly enjoyed both A & D and the Da Vinci Code. His writing style sometimes leaves something to be desired, but he constructs a great story, makes real characters, and tells it well.
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47
His writing style sometimes leaves something to be desired
Just wondering what you meant by that? I vaguely remember thinking the same thing when I was reading his books but I don't remember why.
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle
One more thing you could try (if you're so inclined) is freecycle.org. It's a yahoo group, broken down by regions and you have to register but it's free. It's all about giving away things to people who want the stuff you don't - instead of dumping it in the landfill.
I have contacted organizations, used book stores, hospitals, senior's homes, etc. in the Toronto-Guelph area (large area) and nobody wants the books. I'll try that group, but they are probably a US group and don't operate in Canada. I'll check it out anyway - thanks for the heads up.
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite
I have contacted organizations, used book stores, hospitals, senior's homes, etc. in the Toronto-Guelph area (large area) and nobody wants the books. I'll try that group, but they are probably a US group and don't operate in Canada. I'll check it out anyway - thanks for the heads up.
I wasn't sure where you were, but I just looked and there is a listing for Guelph. Small, only 72 members but it's a start. The Toronto group has 2798 members.

On topic: A colleague has loaned me a copy of The DaVinci Code, so I'll be able to start that now.
post #17 of 27
I just finished A&D recently and while it was slow to start with, it got better when the killings started.

Now, all I have to do is wait til the paperback comes out for DaVinci Code - I'm too cheap to buy the hardcover in case I hate it

Apparently Dan Brown has another book coming out called The Soloman Code - cool!
post #18 of 27
Ugh, I just learned that the paperback may not come out til 4th quarter, 2006! Thats too long away! I guess I better pay that $1 to put that book on hold at the library.
post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Ugh, I just learned that the paperback may not come out til 4th quarter, 2006!
That totally sucks! *Sigh* I was hoping to be able to buy it in paperback sometime this year but I guess I'll have to break down and buy the hardcover.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite
I have contacted organizations, used book stores, hospitals, senior's homes, etc. in the Toronto-Guelph area (large area) and nobody wants the books. I'll try that group, but they are probably a US group and don't operate in Canada. I'll check it out anyway - thanks for the heads up.
This might not work cuz you're in Canada, but maybe you could sell them on Amazon.com? I sold some books off there, they even give you money to help out with shipping.
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47
His writing style sometimes leaves something to be desired
Just wondering what you meant by that? I vaguely remember thinking the same thing when I was reading his books but I don't remember why.
Can't give specific examples now -- it's several months since I read the books -- but perhaps the best way to express it is just that I prefer a more polished style, one that flows more easily.

I love words and language, and would write fiction if I ever had an inspiration -- and when I write anything, even something as casual as a post on this board, I always go back at least once, often more than that, to see how it "reads", and fine tune. I often had the sense that if he had done that, he'd have expressed something differently, more elegantly. Which is not to say that he didn't do that kind of review, only that I would have preferred a different, smoother result. Personal taste, I guess.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226
Just wondering what you meant by that? I vaguely remember thinking the same thing when I was reading his books but I don't remember why.
I had the same reaction with A&D. 5 pages into DVC, I ran across this sentence: "He was trapped inside the Grand Gallery, and there existed only one person on earth to whom he could pass the torch."

Ai-yi-yi. That sounds like something a Freshman would write in an Lit 101 class. "...only one person on earth..."? Come on, there are over 6 billion people on this planet and only ONE is capable of handling the secret?! *sigh* It's absolutes like this that make it difficult for me to suspend my disbelief and enjoy the story.

Just my .02, YMMV
post #23 of 27
You're right, I remember thinking some of his sentences were a bit odd. I think I noticed it more with A&D but I could've been wrong.
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle
I'm interested in reading Code, but I refuse to buy it in hardback, it hasn't come out in paperback yet and no one has lent it to me yet
If you go to either amazon.com or barnes and noble.com (cannot remember which one!!!) they have a used book part and you may be able to get the hardbound one at a lesser price!
post #25 of 27
So is A & D about Angels and Demons or about Christ?
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBabies
So is A & D about Angels and Demons or about Christ?
Neither, really. It's essentially a murder mystery that involves the main characters solving riddles and codes that are hidden in various churches in Rome in an attempt to prevent additional deaths. That's oversimplified of course but should give you the general idea.
post #27 of 27
Heidi, no. Gargoyle gave you a pretty brief synopsis about it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat's Meow
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat's Meow › "Angels & Demons"...amazing book!