All of this information is EXTREMELY helpful to cat owners and a big THANK YOU to all those who have contributed, including the original thread starter. I have a kitten named Poppy that developed conjunctivitis and an ear infection. I cured the ear infection with a homeopathic remedy:
1/4 cup room temp water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Use a cotton ball soaked in this solution to gently apply to the inner ear (don't put too much pressure on the ear when applying). Use it every 4-6 hours until the infection is cleared up.
Let me tell you - Poppy's ear infection was gone within FOUR treatments!!!
Also, garlic is NOT toxic to cats unless you're feeding it to them all of the time. A home remedy that truly works when trying to repel fleas is to mix garlic powder in with their food - wet or dry. It is a treatment I have used for years with my cats and is safer because there are no chemicals as there are in flea collars, cleansers, sprays and powders. All of these chemicals can have negative effects on your cats. I have a cat that I did use flea spray on and she has lost all of her fur from it, so be careful treating cats for fleas using any chemically based products. Also, DO NOT treat kittens under 3 months of age with flea spray - their tiny lungs are NOT strong enough to fight the chemicals in flea spray and they can die. I had a client who treated a litter of kittens that were 8 weeks old and they all died.
As for the debate regarding rosemary, chamomile and other herbs with cats...these herbs are toxic in large quantities that have been ingested. SOME cats will have an allergy or intolerance to topical application, but it is most commonly a toxicity related to the continual/prolonged ingesting of the herbs. Using chamomile to treat an eye infection is NOT necessarily toxic unless your cat has a sensitivity or allergy to it....I suggest trying a skin test similar to what hair color experts caution when coloring your hair for the first time - find a spot on the cat (I would suggest the belly as it is the least furry area and usually not an area people see, as well as a fairly sensitive area). If you notice any redness, sores, itching, weeping etc. at the test site, don't use it and wash that area to remove any residue. If everything looks normal, proceed cautiously and just keep an eye on the cat while treating him/her. Using certain herbs to treat common ailments in cats is not harmful so long as you use caution and common sense when doing so. Remember that dried and powdered herbs have approximately half, if not less than half, of the potency of fresh herbs because the drying and grinding processes remove the majority of the oils in the herbs, which are where the strength of the herb lies.
Using human medications on cats is not recommended. Cats are commonly poisoned by the use of digestive aids such as Pepto Bismol, Immodium, antacids, etc, as well as cold medicines. If it's a medication you use for yourself or your kids, DON'T use it for your cat!
One more plant people need to be aware of as being highly toxic is the poinsettia. Do NOT let your cat eat it because it can kill them. The most common side effect of eating these plants is vomitting, but continued and prolonged ingestion IS deadly. Either don't have these plants in your home or place them in areas where your cat can't come in contact with them.
Also - and I KNOW it's cute and funny - DO NOT LET YOUR CAT EAT CHOCOLATE! While most cats don't die from eating it, there are certain components in chocolate that are poisonous to them. They can develop severe diarrhea, vomitting, etc., as well as develop internal injuries that include twisting of the bowel and/or intestines. I have seen many people feed their cats chocolate and when I've warned them about the toxic results, without fail I have been told "Oh, I didn't know!"
One more thing you need to be aware of if you own cats is that 'Cat Scratch Fever' is real. Because most cats have their claws and use them to catch prey, clean themselves, cover their waste in a litter box, you can contract diseases if you are scratched by your cat. If you play with your cat, it's recommended that you use toys - a fishing pole style toy, a laser pointer (these are NOT harmful to cats), etc. I was scratched by a cat when treating it at the vet's office and developed a nasty infection on my face that required antibiotics. It's not fun and it's very painful. Be careful!
Someone on here mentioned that many prescription medications prescribed by veterinarians contain herbal components. This is true. The herbal components used are in small enough quantities that their healing properties are useful, but not toxic to cats.
Lastly, the debate about spaying/neutering your cat and declawing it. NEVER declaw your cat unless it is 100% indoor, and then only declaw the front paws if clawing furniture or people is an issue. Any cat that goes outdoors for any period of time needs its claws for protection. Sending a partially declawed cat outdoors can be a death sentence in that they cannot flee from nor defend themselves from predators and other cats. Spaying or neutering your cat is a responsible cat owner job. Many cats are needlessly abandoned or destroyed because people do not invest in this process. Unless you have an AKC registered pure bred cat, have it fixed. This process also aids in calming cats down and curbing their desire to escape your home in search of a companion for procreation. It will also tame aggression in your cat if it's an issue. Also, if you are offered microchipping or tattooing of your cat, please do so. This aids in the return of your cat to you should it run away or become lost. 53% of cats that have been chipped or tattooed are returned to their owners whereas only 12% of cats that have no identification of this kind are.
I was a vet tech for many years and have learned all of this through the veterinarians I have worked with. If you are not sure, ALWAYS check with your veterinarian before trying it!