Could You Help Me identify This Breed...?

little_bear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my cat Little bear. i was wondering exactly what breed she was? I was thinking just a regular American short hair tabby.
Any ideas on this cutie?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do know that "tabby" refers to a pattern that is on a cat - hard to tell from your pictures if the kitty is black & white or grey & white. But I don't know if there is "officially" a grey - or if it's technically called blue? I expect this thread gets moved to the Breeder's Corner forum where someone will have an answer for you!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see any stripes to make it a tabby cat. It looks like a solid black & white bicolor or a solid blue & white bicolor.

If its grey color, then its a blue & white; otherwise its a black & white.

In either case he's a cute domestic shorthair - not a breed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by little_bear

just a regular American short hair tabby.
Any ideas on this cutie?
Tabby are these with stripes. there is a parallell thread on a nice tabby.... Yours is a very nice and pretty bicolor. (= two-color).

with "just a regular American short hair" you are probably meaning domestic short hair (or moggie in plain everyday language) of American short hair type... I understand you dont think she is a purebred cat.

As Golden Kitty said, American SH is a breed with many generations registered and breed cats.
Although the ancestors of this breed are from among "the peasant moggies".

This is why they are often looks alike.

And thus, it is a rather common misconception to say American SH as a polite way to say moggie...

The correct is moggie (or Domestic Short Hair) of American SH type, or moggie look alike American SH.

This here explanation is correct for the European SH, but I presume it is the same story with the American SH.