When is the first day of school where you are?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kids go back to school on Sept 8th, but in the next school board over, they went back today.

It's a little messed up because of the way the labour day holiday falls here... some school boards ended up deciding to go back early (today) so that the students can get out at the normal time in June, or go back as normal (day after the holiday) and end up being in school a few days longer in June.

My kids are both excited to go back

This is Kendra's last year in public school
Next yr she goes into highschool... WOW...time sure flies... my goodness, now I feel old. LOL.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The school district that I live in also returns to school on the 8th...where as the one just north of me goes back tomorrow on the 1st.

I start my classes on the 8th as well, however Laurentian the university that my program originates from re-opened last Wednesday.

And yes I am getting quite excited about returning to school after 30 years...

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The elementary, middle, and high schools in my district started the 13th of Aug, the other districs on the 17th (they all share buses and wanted to make sure any breakdowns didn't disrupt any district).

The university started the 24th of August.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fresno's school district along with Fresno City College went back on August 17th I believe. Clovis schools I believe went back a week later like us at Fresno State which was last monday. My friends going to UC's here dont go back until like the end of sept. ....lucky! That is good your kids were excited to go back!!
I love school too, but after my first week of "hell" meaning my schedule is terrible and i am already in need of a vacation! lol.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greyson went back to school on Aug 13th. He loves school and had been looking forward to going back since about the middle of summer vacation.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The first day of classes at the University of Alberta is this Wednesday, September 2nd - which is very odd imo, normally they wait until after labour day, but I guess because it is "late" this year, they decided to have this week as the "write-off"

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depends on the District here. Denver schools went back in mid-August, and they get out real early as well - like mid-May. Jefferson County Schools (where I live) tried to pull that too (they keep pushing the start of school up and up and up) and the parents revolted. YAY for them! They at least got it pushed back so it started August 24th and they are going at least until the end of May.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nieces and nephews started classes 2 weeks ago.

I went to school all summer and finished my first session last Tuesday. I start back to school again tomorrow. (I'm going for neonatal/pediactric respiratory therapy)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

usually last week of january over here
It's always seemed strange to me that Americans start school toward the end of the year.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
School is all year round here in Japan. With two or three breaks no more than 1 month long. Just got back from summer vacation (about 4 weeks long).

School year starts in April though.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
School starts September 8 here. I can't wait until the kids go back to school. There are a few kids in my apartment building that drive me nuts every morning while I am trying to sleep.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm in the same board as a few of the people who have posted, including the OP....we go back on September 8th.

I haven't looked at what the calendars in other boards look like, but our board just plucked 2 PD days that are usually in the middle of the year and put them this week. So teachers in our board are required to be at school and will be doing professional development (or should be, at least) Wednesday and Thursday...and that goes right off the number of PD days that are usually required throughout the year. So, the difference in ending times should not be too great, I don't think.

I always found it odd that some places in the US start back at school in August? Is there a particular reason for that (ie. weather)?