TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Has the economy effected how you spend your cat supplies money?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Has the economy effected how you spend your cat supplies money?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I'm under 18 and don't have a job so I'm not directly spending my cats money, but when my mom and I got into an arguement because she said she didn't want to feed the cats wet or raw food because they're fine even after they have puked 3 times in the last 2 weeks and have shed a lot and if you go a day without changing the litter it smells like crazy because they poo so much (we worked it out but I'm still a little upset even though I understand). I'm seriously considering becoming a dog walker or petsitter to pay for my cat's food and supplies as well as some as my own stuff. It made me realize that when times are tough for people, it's the same for pets sadly. I was doing some research and I found that more people are giving their pets to shelters because they simply can't even afford the cheapest cat food, litter, and supplies. So, how has the economy effected your cats?
post #2 of 22
Mine are still eating the same food and using the same litter, but my hours and DH's have both been cut and I no longer have the $ for Revolution for a dozen cats. They are indoor only and I still flea treat the dogs who go in and out, so it hasn't been a problem yet this year, but it also prevents me from being able to temporaily house any new kittens here who might have parasites.
post #3 of 22
I'm spending more because RC just went up and so did the wet food my old neuter boy eats
post #4 of 22
I'm spending more because my oldest cat has developed health problems that require him to eat more canned food. The canned food he needs cost quite a lot, in my opinion.

One of my other older cats needs to start eating canned food due to constipation. But I can just give her an inexpensive commercial brand like Friskies.

I'd say that once everything gets settled with the food changes, I'll probably end up spending about $100-$130 more a year for food. I'm not happy about it, but it shouldn't be a problem since I've always preferred to live frugally and save my money.

It's interesting because I've noticed people complaining that they can't afford to care for their pets. Yet they have no problems spending hundreds of dollars a month for their cell phone or high-speed internet. Something is seriously wrong with people. I can't believe people actually think their cell phone is more important than their own pet.
post #5 of 22
I'm spending the same, or probably more if vet(medical cost) is concerned. Since Ku Ku had a surgery last month, her health is my biggest concern right now, really...more than my own health, lol. Even if I'd have to reduce $ for my own, she is getting exactly the same for everything: food, litters, treats etc. What can I say? She's my little baby, not just a pet
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilblu View Post

It's interesting because I've noticed people complaining that they can't afford to care for their pets. Yet they have no problems spending hundreds of dollars a month for their cell phone or high-speed internet. Something is seriously wrong with people. I can't believe people actually think their cell phone is more important than their own pet.
For real! My cats aren't geting all they used to, but that was the last thing to be cut back on. It's all a matter of priorities.

When you drive a 21 year old car in a ruraL area a cell phone is a neccesity, but all it has to do is take and make calls, and they sell prepaid for as little as thirty dollars that require no more than fifteen dollars a month to keep them active.

Internet is the same. While I'd love to have DSL and be able to watch the videos and all, dial up is suffucient to get by and lots cheaper.

We only get two stations on the TV, but why spend thirty bucks a month for cable when I have a dozen cats to entertain me?

The women I work with laugh at me because I tell them I can't affrod to buy the Avon one sells or whatever but I'm still spending on my animals. Well they don't have the option of providing for themselves, what else can I do but take care of them? The economy is the result of poor planning and outright greed on the part of humans, why should the animals have to suffer for it?
post #7 of 22
I switched from Wellness to Meow Mix Market Selects, not so much on pricing but because my Bickford had to go to a wet diet (he was lone dry holdout) and wouldn't touch the Wellness. I buy it by the case (36 cups) at BJ's Wholesale and I shop around for sales on kitty litter. Target usually has one on Tidy Cats once a month (if not a few bucks cheaper it's buy 2 and get a $5 gift certificate which I use on my next purchase).

I'm lucky in that I work for the cable company and get cable and internet for free. I would cut back on that first if I had to pay for it.
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattykitty View Post
I'm under 18 and don't have a job so I'm not directly spending my cats money, but when my mom and I got into an arguement because she said she didn't want to feed the cats wet or raw food because they're fine even after they have puked 3 times in the last 2 weeks and have shed a lot and if you go a day without changing the litter it smells like crazy because they poo so much (we worked it out but I'm still a little upset even though I understand). I'm seriously considering becoming a dog walker or petsitter to pay for my cat's food and supplies as well as some as my own stuff. It made me realize that when times are tough for people, it's the same for pets sadly. I was doing some research and I found that more people are giving their pets to shelters because they simply can't even afford the cheapest cat food, litter, and supplies. So, how has the economy effected your cats?
Although my wife and I have had to cut back this has not extended to the cats. It's not their fault and we will live on beans and rice before we give inferior food to the cats.
post #9 of 22
It hasn't affected how i spend money on my cats at all. Actually, I got one more job this summer so i think i started to spend more on cats Since my main job is feeding calves the hours can not be cut, it takes as long as its gonna take. The only reason it would take less time is less calves.

I have noticed since feeding raw i am spending less on cat food, therefore the little dry they get got upgraded and gets some Orijen and EVO mixed in.

Roughly i spend $200 on cat stuff a month - for 18-26 cats (depends on who is there any given night).
post #10 of 22
The only major change was going to the wood stove pellets to save a lot on litter. Still use the high quality dry and canned and adding twice a week some raw chicken or hamburger.
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilblu View Post
It's interesting because I've noticed people complaining that they can't afford to care for their pets. Yet they have no problems spending hundreds of dollars a month for their cell phone or high-speed internet. Something is seriously wrong with people. I can't believe people actually think their cell phone is more important than their own pet.
Ugh, I know exactly what you mean - it's frustrating! I know a guy who burned his pet with hot water by accident and couldn't fork up some money to bring the poor thing to see a vet...yet he went on an expensive vacation one week later.

Getting back on topic, I picked that I spend the same amount because I haven't changed anything due to the economy, but I do think that pet food prices have gone up, so maybe I *am* spending more.
post #12 of 22
I swtiched food from Royal Canin to Taste of the wild and now to Kirkland.
For litter I now use a non brand generic type litter that is scoopable, I used to use Scoop Away which costs $15 for a bucket, the one I use now costs $5 for the same amount.
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGoddess View Post
I know a guy who burned his pet with hot water by accident and couldn't fork up some money to bring the poor thing to see a vet...
Here's the funny thing with me. The cats would get medical care for a burn like that, but I wouldn't seek it for myself unless the burn was quite severe.


I still spend the same on my cats themselves. Though it's actually been more this year since I have room for cat furniture and to take in more cats. We're also working on cat proofing all of our fence and need to enclose the deck... and find a way to keep the neighbor's cat Gizmo from hopping over.

I save money on food by buying in bulk. Toys I occasionally buy, but I make some too. I use chicken feed for litter, not to save money but because I really really dislike clay litters.
Vet care has remained the same.
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
I'm spending more because RC just went up and so did the wet food my old neuter boy eats
I'm spending more because I switched Trout to Fromm's dry...and it costs more. But I think its better for her.
post #15 of 22
My costs went up because upon deciding to take on Ginger while she gave birth to her litter I enquired the costs of her as well as 5 babies for about 8-10 weeks. And then I added one of her babies to the house, and then Ginger stayed. I'm working on heading back to raw because with my local resources it is actually significantly cheaper to feed raw then regular food.

Leslie
post #16 of 22
Money is so tight I'm living on popcorn and peanut butter sandwiches, but my cats come first.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
I swtiched food from Royal Canin to Taste of the wild and now to Kirkland.
For litter I now use a non brand generic type litter that is scoopable, I used to use Scoop Away which costs $15 for a bucket, the one I use now costs $5 for the same amount.
Can you say what you're using now? I use either Fresh Step or Scoop Away, and it is kind of pricey for something the cats are just going to poop on.
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Nova View Post
Can you say what you're using now? I use either Fresh Step or Scoop Away, and it is kind of pricey for something the cats are just going to poop on.
It's a brand called Krazy Cat from the dollar store lol..I am not sure if they have it everywhere. I got it from Fred's dollar store..The only downside is that it's very sand like, it isn't in little rocks or granules like the others. It's not too bad if you vaccuum around the litter box every 2 days like I do and it clumps very tight.
post #19 of 22
I spend less, but only partly because of the economy.

When I adopted my first 2 cats, I went crazy buying cat stuff. The most expensive litter (WBCL), expensive individual 3 oz cans of wet food (Wellness, etc.), tons of toys...plus the initial vet stuff, like having Chloe spayed and Mattie had a bunch of skin issues. Also, the big initial purchases like a scratching post, litter boxes, grooming tools, water fountain, etc.

Now, they eat a reasonably priced dry food (Taste of the Wild) and wet food (Chicken Soup). I hardly ever buy cat toys. I buy cheap clay clumping cat litter (because I'd rather the $ be spent on food or vet stuff). We do have a 3rd cat and a dog now though.
post #20 of 22
No matter what the economy I always have and always will have to beg my fiance for new cat toys.

I'm the type of person who will put my fuzzy baby before even myself. If I had to choose between people food or cat food, I'd definately go for cat food.

Before I lived out on my own, at least half my check once a month would go to new cat toys or some type of new treat, or a fancy new collar.

Now Cody forces me to limit myself, and with the economy being as bad as it is and us both being out of work, I can't amuse myself by getting amusing toys for Bean Bean to play with. Although I did just talk him into buying a laser pointer.

Its not a big issue though, after all we all know that the best cat toys are free or very cheap. (ie: empty boxes and paper balls)

But as far as vetrinary care goes...I may not be big on most vaccinations. I really don't think that a solitary indoor-only cat needs every single vaccine out there...but you can bet that if my kitty bean bean got sick he'd be right in to the doctors and I'd be going without for as long as it took to make him better.

There's never any excuse to not seek much needed vet care or, at the very least, to call and ask for help and sign your cat over to a shelter who can provide adequate care.
post #21 of 22
I will always provide the best food - wet & dry, litter, cat beds and toys for my kitties. I will sacrifice a new outfit or whatever I have to, to make sure they are cared for.
post #22 of 22
I buy the same for all my pets...Scoop Away litter and all that jazz I just bought them a new kitty city piece one because they needed something to play on and two because I needed to get something for GiGi so she would stop climbing the couch for fun...I actually picked up extra hours at work and the only reason I managed that is because my managers need to depend on me to pick up people slack and to carry half the restaurant myself and make sure everyone on my side does their job. It helped because Im making more money and still able to pay all the bills and save some money for Hercules surgery coming up next month and also now car insurance and registration fee's. Ive taken a hit on groceries and stuff because I have cut back on buying the snacks we dont need and soda and stuff like that but Ive been able to funnel more money into a vet fund for the cats and dog on payweeks (my $20 checks go directly to savings for them) Unfortunatly Im still paying all the bills and supporting BF because I make more in one week than he makes in a month!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Has the economy effected how you spend your cat supplies money?