TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Cat hiding under bed...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cat hiding under bed...

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted. 3 weeks ago Baylee and I moved into my parent's house, which was 3 hours away from where I've been living. It was a good move financially for me - living at home is supposed to help me pay down some debt and save more money (assuming I can find a teaching job for the upcoming school year). Unfortunately I don't think it was a good move for Baylee.

The week before I moved, I started packing and Baylee took to hiding under the bed during the day... I figure she knew we were about to go somewhere. The two weeks after the move she spent about half the day under the bed. In the evening she'll come out, come downstairs, be a bit braver but I figure she's still getting used to my parents, and a much larger house with a lot of new noises.

The past week she's been doing a lot better... but she still hides under the bed. Maybe for about 8 hours as opposed to 12... I have a theory that maybe it's because under the bed it's dark, cool and it's a nice small space (there's a built in drawer under the bed, she goes BEYOND the drawer). My parent's house has a lot of windows and is really bright, plus there aren't a lot of places for her to hide.

My question is... she never hid under the bed at my apartment (usually), she had her spot on the couch that she loved. I don't like her hiding under the bed because I can't see her (unless I pull the drawer out and it's huge). Is there anything I can buy her that maybe she'd like to get in during the day, so that she won't go under the bed on a regular basis?

P.S. She's eating, drinking, and using the litterbox normally. She still curls up and sleeps with me at night. It's just something about 10am that makes her go under the bed til about 6pm.
post #2 of 10
Hi Ari

Make her a substitute cave in the corner of the room. Another place enclosed on all sides but one where she can hide. Cove it with a dark cloth, put soft bedding inside and make sure you leave enough room where she can scoot underneath- you can use catnip to entice her to go in there. She is hiding because there is where she feels safe. You rocked her world and she is making sure you won't do it again any time soon. Be patient with her, play with her interactively, and try to spend time in the room on the floor reading to her, talking to her or whatever it takes
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
Hi Ari

Make her a substitute cave in the corner of the room. Another place enclosed on all sides but one where she can hide. Cove it with a dark cloth, put soft bedding inside and make sure you leave enough room where she can scoot underneath- you can use catnip to entice her to go in there. She is hiding because there is where she feels safe. You rocked her world and she is making sure you won't do it again any time soon. Be patient with her, play with her interactively, and try to spend time in the room on the floor reading to her, talking to her or whatever it takes
MA!! How you been?

Ok why didn't I think of that? Okay, to be honest, I did but I didn't execute it because I didn't know how until now. The bed that I have has built in nightstands and there's a small space underneath them. I chose the one that's against the wall, put her blanket underneath it, draped a blanket on top of it and then kind of blocked part of the entrance to it with her little cat "condo" (really just a round block with an part cut out).

She's not a big fan of catnip but I got some cat treats and kind of lured her into it and she went in, looked around, ate some treats... and then walked away. But maybe she'll start getting used to it? She didn't run out of it so I take it that that's a good sign...
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hee hee... she just went in the "cave" on her own. l left one of her toys in the cave, that has a bell and I heard her play with it. Snuck a picture of her:



She's still under there. I was going to block off a bit more of the entrance with the blanket but then I thought maybe she wouldn't go in. Plus the blanket is a bit thick so it might get hot under there, I might look for a sheet or something.

Now I just need to resist the urge to keep peeking in on her, so that maybe she'll start hanging there instead of under the bed soon.
post #5 of 10
They prefer small places where they can see everyone but you trick them into thinking you can't see them. Ignore her for awhile, set up scheduled visits on a routine basis so there are no surprises. Leave treats and enticements around the entrance to her cave so she understands it is safe. Under no circumstances unless you believe she is ill, should you peek in on her or drag her out for some "cuddle time." She has to feel this place is her sanctuary. Don't start adding to it to make it secure, leave it as is. Start futzing with it, and she will bolt and go under the bed again.

After I make them a substitute cave and check the bed carefully to be sure they haven't dug into the mattress and gone inside there, I take long strips of cardboard and place them around the bed frame and attach with duct tape. This blocks off the bed as a hiding place- I don't know about you, but moving our bed a California King is a pain the watussie. I would much rather give the hider alternate hiding places. Another thing that worked for me was I took a small cat condo and put artificial flowers and shrubs on it, wrapping it with floral wire. This created a jungle where the kitty could hide and stay above the floor and be twice as safe.
post #6 of 10
You might also want to try a Feliway diffuser (or more throughout the house) to help her feel a bit more secure. I'm sure she'll adjust to her new home and will be running around like she owns the place soon.
post #7 of 10
ARI!!! you haven't been here in ages! glad to see you posting - & glad to see that MA's advice is working, as well.
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
They prefer small places where they can see everyone but you trick them into thinking you can't see them.
Hmmm... well then maybe my cave is in the wrong place. It's in the corner of the bedroom, and she can't really SEE anyone. I mean, if someone comes in the bedroom, she'll hear them but if she sits in there, she won't see anyone. Granted, no one really is walking about my room except for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
After I make them a substitute cave and check the bed carefully to be sure they haven't dug into the mattress and gone inside there, I take long strips of cardboard and place them around the bed frame and attach with duct tape. This blocks off the bed as a hiding place- I don't know about you, but moving our bed a California King is a pain the watussie.
So you block off the bed? Huh, that surprises me, I was thinking you would tell me NOT to do that. The only thing is that when, say, the cleaning lady comes to vacuum, I thought maybe she'd like a place to hide other than the cave (since she'll be vacuuming near the cave).

But maybe I should block it off - she keeps defaulting to hiding under there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanietx View Post
You might also want to try a Feliway diffuser (or more throughout the house) to help her feel a bit more secure. I'm sure she'll adjust to her new home and will be running around like she owns the place soon.
I thought about getting a Feliway... next payday I'll get one for at least y room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
ARI!!! you haven't been here in ages! glad to see you posting - & glad to see that MA's advice is working, as well.
Hey!! I know, I know, I'm a bad TCSer! How have you been? How's teaching treating you? Help me find a job!
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226 View Post
Hey!! I know, I know, I'm a bad TCSer! How have you been? How's teaching treating you? Help me find a job!
hey, i gotta get one for MYSELF before i can help you! where are you now - still San Antonio?
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
hey, i gotta get one for MYSELF before i can help you! where are you now - still San Antonio?
Nah, I moved to Houston. Man finding a teaching job this year is harder than past years... no fair!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Cat hiding under bed...