TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › What do you do to keep your house cool in the summer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you do to keep your house cool in the summer? - Page 2

post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
We are having a hot week here (of course we are - Toronto garbage collectors are on strike).
Yes, I was thinking about you guys when I heard that on the news. They sure do know how to pick their time, don't they?
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
Yes, I was thinking about you guys when I heard that on the news. They sure do know how to pick their time, don't they?
They certainly do. The Gay Pride parade is this weekend with thousands of visitors expected to come to Toronto - that should be quite the picnic.
post #33 of 41
Our high was 124 yesterday, miserable, today it's only 114, much better.
Yes, I'm being sarcastic, I prefer it in the 90-100 range, beyond that, the PNWer in me just dies.
post #34 of 41
Lucky for me I live in a basement flat so it is pretty cool and shadey down here in summer Unfortunatly that also means it is blinkin freezing in winter!
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
Our A/C runs 24/7 It's hotter than blazes here in the summer
Its so humid here in the summer, that not having it running just makes me miserable! A/C is my best friend in the summer.
post #36 of 41
So much the the "ceiling fan will circulate air" theory. Belle is terrified of the thing. Poor girl spend most of yesterday and this morning hiding. When she finally got her courage up (long after the fan had been turned off), we turned the A/C unit on and the air came out in a direction that moved the blades of the fan around. Back under the bed she went. She's come out now, but is still unsure of the still fan. I may just have to take it out!

So, I think I'll turn the A/C on during the day when I'm home, and turn it off in the evenings when it's a little cooler. Right now, we're OK with a fan in the bedroom, but we'll see how long that lasts.

My only concern is if we go away for a weekend or something? Will the cats be OK with just a fan (I don't want to leave the A/C on when we go away...someone can turn it on for a bit when they are here to check on the cats). The A/C was off all day today and it wasn't horrible up here when I got home from work at 6. However, it's probably not as hot as it is going to get. Of course, I turned the A/C on, and both cats set up camp on the floor of the outdoor patio! So, maybe my concern is completely ridiculous!
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeysmom View Post
So much the the "ceiling fan will circulate air" theory. Belle is terrified of the thing. Poor girl spend most of yesterday and this morning hiding. When she finally got her courage up (long after the fan had been turned off), we turned the A/C unit on and the air came out in a direction that moved the blades of the fan around. Back under the bed she went. She's come out now, but is still unsure of the still fan. I may just have to take it out!
You shouldn't have to take the fan out, when we first turned on our ceiling fans this summer Sam was petrified! He would find a spot he couldn't see them and just hide there. We held firm and he came around. He's currently asleep under the living room fan with his tummy in the air!
post #38 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeygirl View Post
You shouldn't have to take the fan out, when we first turned on our ceiling fans this summer Sam was petrified! He would find a spot he couldn't see them and just hide there. We held firm and he came around. He's currently asleep under the living room fan with his tummy in the air!
When I turned my ceiling fan on yesterday, Kizzy made me laugh. He sat right under it and tried to jump and catch it When that didn't work, he got up on my hubbys computer chair and started swatting at it.... last try, he climbed up onto the top of the back of the chair (remember, he is a big boy, trying to perch on a couple inches of chair).....dug his hind claws in, tried to stand up and "catch the fan"..... He fell, onto the seat of the chair

Kitchi on the other hand is slightly nervous of it, and was hiding under the bed for a bit. As long as I was there, he was fine, focused on loving me.
post #39 of 41
Once she gets comfortable with the motionless fan itself again (she's still keeping a close eye on it), maybe I'll try to let the A/C push the blades so that it moves fairly slowly. I learned last night that the defense for a scared cat with sharp claws is a heavy sweatshirt, even if it's hot. Maybe I can slowly get her over her fear of the big bad ceiling fan. I just feel bad because everytime she starts to get comfortable, something happens to scare her again! Delilah doesn't seem at all phased by it!

Sorry....thread hijacked for a second....please proceed with regularly scheduled cooling discussion!
post #40 of 41
Humidity here reaches 70-80%. It's hard to breathe without the A/C It feels like there is a film of moisture on ur skin even if you don't sweat. I hate this weather, I was waiting for summer so impatiently and now that it's here I can't stand it lol
post #41 of 41
The AC is set at 76ºF, usually cools the house down to 74º before kicking off again. We keep the blinds closed in our bedroom, and the vertical blinds half closed in the dining room. Some of the spare bedrooms have closed blinds too. Our house doesnt get too hot with the AC running though. The hottest we let it get was 81º back in May, before turning the AC on finally.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › What do you do to keep your house cool in the summer?