Idaho cat is after your underpants! - Article

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, how is he getting into people's houses - their doggie doors? Poor reporting - reporter didn't tell that part of the story. She should have interviewed more neighbors.

Sorry - can't help it... used to be my line of work.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Perhaps she could keep her cat indoors--where it would have a longer, healthier life anyway--if she really wants to stop him.

Indoor cats don't get attacked by dogs or coyotes; indoor cats don't get carried off by hawk or owls; indoor cats don't get run over by cars; indoor cats don't get tortured by antisocial children (see MacDonald's Triad); indoor cats are less likely to get fleas and ticks and the diseases born by them; indoor cats don't devastate small fauna as invasive predators tend to; in short, responsible cat owners keep their animals indoors where they are safe and the local ecology is safe from them.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is too cute!!!!
My cat likes to steal socks....my socks lol. What if all those times you think the dryer ate your sock or w/e, but it was really a cat like this one stealing it?

I dont think she should have to keep him inside, he loves to roam, who is she to keep him locked up for "his own" good. Personally if my cat wants to be outside, then they can, if they live shorter lives thats life, but at least they had a chance to do what they wanted.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JuneBugBear07

I dont think she should have to keep him inside, he loves to roam, who is she to keep him locked up for "his own" good.
She's his human, that's who. Keeping our cats healthy is our job, and if that means keeping them inside, that's what it takes.

Aside from the fact that indoor cats are healthier and live longer, being protected from the various hazards of the world outside, cats, being the great hunters that they are, post a major threat to small fauna, such as songbirds, rodents, and small reptiles. The predation by domestic cats is a major reason why several native bird species are on the endangered or threatened list, for example. At least one North American species of mouse has been hunted to near extinction by cats (which are an invasive species, not native to this continent). Several native species of small reptiles and marsupials in Australia have been decimated by the introduction of cats to that continent.

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a funny story, but I think the owner is going to HAVE to keep this cat indoors or someone might shoot it or something because it's stealing stuff and I doubt everyone in the town is considering it very funny, (not to mention indoors is much safer, healthier for a cat). It sounds like she's already been approached with fights about it, from the sound of the article.