TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Is This a Hoax? Is There Such Thing as a Bengalmese?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is This a Hoax? Is There Such Thing as a Bengalmese? - Page 2  

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonandstarkatz View Post
Not to mention on the shipping and payment link, she says you have to pick up your kitten by 10 weeks to avoid additional boarding fees. This is an odd breeder indeed and who puts pics of themselves on their site.
Daisy
Me! http://www.freewebs.com/captivatingpersians/

I'm the one pictured with NSWCFA's 2nd best Male of the year! (My breeding of course! )

One of Europe's top Persian breeders has a photo of herself

http://www.sorrentinacattery.com/about_us.html

Another one of Europe's top Persian breeders again, Lisa

http://www.amorstroll.com/about.htm

I could go on and on but you get the picture!
post #32 of 45
Many breeders do have pics of themselves somewhere on the website. Don't see a problem with it.
post #33 of 45
Sorry I didn't explain well, pictures of breeders are usually either posed family pics or show pics or something with cats, these are headshots like on facebook that go along with the poor grammar.
Daisy
post #34 of 45
are these Bengalmese truly hypoallergenic as she claims. I spoke to her regarding her kittens in depth the other night and am looking to seriously buy a kitten however, I think 400 is steep for a mixed breed kitten that may or may not be hypoallergenic. Can someone please help me out and quick.
thanks
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandererkm View Post
are these Bengalmese truly hypoallergenic as she claims. I spoke to her regarding her kittens in depth the other night and am looking to seriously buy a kitten however, I think 400 is steep for a mixed breed kitten that may or may not be hypoallergenic. Can someone please help me out and quick.
thanks
Hi,

this is very hard to answer without knowing the cats but probably they are not hypoallergic, sorry.

Most people are allergic against the Fel D1 gene product, which is a protein found in the spit of a cat which is then spread over the fur coat when the cat washes itself.

Some cats do not have this Fel D1 protein, which doesn't seem to harm them and makes them hypoallergic. Cats without Fel D1 are most commonly found amongst siberian forrest cats, as far as I know. Unfortunatelly this is not a rule and some siberians will have it while others don't have the Fel D1 protein.

In other words you'd have to test each kitten in a litter to figure out which ones are hypoallergic and which aren't. To do this you'd have to take a fur sample from each kitten and do a skin test.

As said- to my knowledge bengals are no more likely to be hypoallergic then any other cat so I don't really think that her bengals would be an exception though this is possible.

Allerca lifestye cats is a scam with "hypoallergic" bengals, but this doesn't mean that bengals are hypoallergic. For this to be the case they would have to be bred with hypoallergic cats, which they aren't.


Hope this was helpfull,

Christine
post #36 of 45
... forgot to mention that siames cats also aren't known to be hypoallergic.

You will have to visit her to find out if her claims are valid, sorry. Maybe you could ask her to cut off a bit of fur and send it to you if you live far away.

Christine
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandererkm View Post
are these Bengalmese truly hypoallergenic as she claims. I spoke to her regarding her kittens in depth the other night and am looking to seriously buy a kitten however, I think 400 is steep for a mixed breed kitten that may or may not be hypoallergenic. Can someone please help me out and quick.
thanks
No cat is truly hypoallergenic, and I doubt a mixed breed will be, but you never know . . . A lot of people have reported fewer allergic reactions with Siberians. Some people find having a cat with less coat is helpful (eg: the Sphynx and rexes.) I have found cats without undercoats work best for me (I am allergic to cats and an asthmatic) and I breed Turkish Vans and have Egyptian Mau cats.
post #38 of 45
It may also be of inererst that neutered cats produce a lot less Fel D1 and that female cats produce less then male cats.

So your best bet ist to find a siberian breeder and ask if you can have some fur for allergy testing- and then choose a girl which you should have neuterd if the allergy test goes well for you.


Christine
post #39 of 45
$400 is excessively high for a mixed breed kitten IMO, especially one that is a pet only and cannot be shown. I was looking at her website earlier today and saw one place where she listed the prices as $600 for spotted, $800 for marbled, and $1,000 for orange kittens. I'm wondering if she's reduced her prices because she has so many kittens that she can't sell.

I don't know that there is such a thing as a hypoallergenic cat. Allergens affect each person differently. These kittens are a siamese/bengal mix and I'm pretty sure I couldn't have one in my home. Siamese is the only breed I've come across (so far) that really makes my allergies kick in.

If you're serious about getting one of these kittens, is there some way you could visit first and spend enough time there to find out if your allergies are going to be a problem?
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisCat View Post
No cat is truly hypoallergenic,

Good point- the prefix "hypo" in hypoallergic means "less" not non- allergic. It may simply be a question of how severe the allergy is.

Christine
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Its nothing more then a backyard breeder who decided to let their Bengal male breed with a Siamese. There are tabby/lynx point Siamese anyway. This is nothing more then a "designer" cat - its not a breed - its a made up name like you see in the designer dogs such as labradoodle, etc.

Only out to rip people off by breeding mixed breed cats.
Bengalmese are not just a made up cat breed! And they aren't Lynx Point Siamese Cats, they are blue point and tortie, thank you.
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra0209 View Post
Bengalmese are not just a made up cat breed! And they aren't Lynx Point Siamese Cats, they are blue point and tortie, thank you.
Sorry, but you are wrong. It is a made up cat breed. In fact it is not a breed, it is a moggie.

Bengalmese are not registered with any legitimate Cat Registry and until they are, it is just a mixed breed cat, aka Moggie.
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals View Post
Sorry, but you are wrong. It is a made up cat breed. In fact it is not a breed, it is a moggie.

Bengalmese are not registered with any legitimate Cat Registry and until they are, it is just a mixed breed cat, aka Moggie.
I googled "bengalmese" and got a lot of hits, every single one of them referring back to the same "breeder". Personally I think her prices for unregistered cats are outrageous. It's unfortunate that she is advertising "show" cats (for even higher prices). Yes, you could enter these cats in some shows, but only as Household Pets.

CFA does not even recognize bengals as an official breed. Their standard for siamese does not allow any outcrosses.

TICA recognizes both bengals and siamese but does not allow outcrosses in either breed.
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyCat View Post
I googled "bengalmese" and got a lot of hits, every single one of them referring back to the same "breeder".
I'm fairly certain the person who posted, Sierra0209, is the breeder of these cats.

I would like to add that if she feels this should be an accepted breed then she needs to go through the process that ALL new breeds must go through in order to become established. Apply to a legitimate cat registry for experimental breed status.

You can't just put two breed cats together, assign them a name you feel is suitable and then claim the kittens are "that" breed. It doesn't work that way.

Even though Bengals are the most popular breed cat in the world today, CFA still won't allow them into their ranks, because they have a very strict policy on no wild blood. Bengals will never be allowed until that policy is overturned. So, Bengals may never be allowed.

Bengals are however recognized by every other legitimate cat registry.
post #45 of 45
The Moderating Team feels that this thread has run it's course, and is being locked. The Team also feels that this thread contains a very valuable discussion about what to look for when choosing a reputable breeder, so the thread is being left on the board.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
This thread is locked  
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Is This a Hoax? Is There Such Thing as a Bengalmese?