Felt very let down

tweetykiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just before we got Avalon, I was doing major research on where to find kitties. I noticed then on Craig's list, they don't allow pet ads anymore. Fiji is no help either. Petsmart told me that they may not have any till mid March. I didn't want to wait that long.

I then found a Cattery in MO where they specialized in short haired Persians and they are just way too cute. But they want $1,500.00 per kitty plus shipping charges. My husband just said we are not spending that type of money to get a kitty and if anything happens during shipping, my heart will be broken and that is true.

Well, things are now well since I got Avalon for free. She is too cute. I did find some videos on those Persians though that I will post on that section and you will love those kitties.

cat-tastrophe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you seen the Cozy Kittens site? She breeds the classic dollfaced Persian/Himalayans/exotic shorthairs as well as Rugger Huggers! Her website is www.cozykittens.com. Very good, fun site with amazing picts! You should read the testimonials as well, the breeder seems very reputable.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"shorthair Persians' are called Exotics. Beware of backyard breeders. Check out the websites carefully. IMO if the breeder is not breeding to the standard and is not showing their cats (or the cats don't have titles of champion/grand champion), then they are more/less considered to be backyard breeders by most of the ethical breeders in the cat fancy.

IMO $1500 for a PET quality Exotic is too much and more then likely this was a back yard breeder who was out to make money and that's all.

I waited over a year to get my Ocicat. I requested a show quality in a choice of 2 colors. I would have loved to have one sooner, but patience is the key. We love Jack and he's show quality and worth waiting a year for. Yes I could have gone to another breeder to get one sooner, but stuck it out and got exactly what I wanted (and more so - he should grand with no problem).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat-tastrophe

Rugger Huggers!
That is not a breed, and I would caution from purchasing from a cattery that promotes these types of cats.

CFA and TICA have breeder referals on their websites, a good starting point but you should still check out each cattery carefully.

I agree with GK, $1500 is too much for an Exotic.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend used to breed Persians but the foundation cat had defects and died.
It was so sad.
Turned out she got bad lines.
You have to be careful.
She gave up breeding after losing so many kittens.
I was careful when I got my sphynx. I looked last March and got her in Dec.
Nial knew a good breeder.
Maybe someone here will know a good breeder.
I will ask around for you.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW that's $2,900 in NZ for an EXOTIC in New Zealand!

Here in New Zealand we sell our exotics for $350 which is US$186 - this is "top price" for Persians/Exotics. Anyone who is charging that much for an exotic is just trying to make money.

Why can't you just buy one from Chicago? I found a list of Persian breeders in Illinois and it's about as long as my arm - so I'm not sure how extensive your research was

Here's that list - http://www.persian-cats.com/breeder_finder/i/us.shtml

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Craigslist does not allow you to sell animals any more, but if you look under community>pets you'll find plenty up for adoption. Some are "free to a good home" and others ask for a small adoption fee. If you're looking for a purebred cat you need to do a lot more research. Craigslist is not the best place to go for that.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat-tastrophe

Have you seen the Cozy Kittens site? She breeds the classic dollfaced Persian/Himalayans/exotic shorthairs as well as Rugger Huggers! Her website is www.cozykittens.com. Very good, fun site with amazing picts! You should read the testimonials as well, the breeder seems very reputable.
On of the requirements per se to be a reputable breeder is to breed according to the standards, seeking the betterment of the species. Breeding designer pets and having a great website by no means make you a reputable breeder. Clearly breeders who do that are breeding for profit, IMO designer pets = RED flag.