TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Wisdom Teeth?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wisdom Teeth? - Page 2

post #31 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady View Post
How is your son doing today?

for a quick recovery
He's doing pretty well. The actual surgery was only about 45 minutes long! He's swollen and sore, but MUCH better than my daughter. Maybe I didn't prepare her well enough. I told her it would be no big deal, because it wasn't for me.

However, I had a surgery a few years ago where they broke my pelvis and I told the doctor it really didn't hurt. The doctor totally didn't believe me. I guess I do have a high pain tolerance. And Nicole (my daughter) doesn't, LOL.
post #32 of 46
your son will be 100% soon.

OMG Sarah I shouldn't have looked at those photos.
post #33 of 46
Glad all is well
post #34 of 46
LOL I had to share my story on wisdom teeth.
My mom booked my wisdom teeth on March Break (mean mommy). It was horrible... I got dry sockets in the two top teeth, they stuck something in it that tasted like curry and dirt mixed together. I couldn't eat anything solid for like a week. I was cranky and sore.
The dry sockets was from the fact that I didn't know I was allergic to percocets and threw up when I took them.
I was complaining so bad that Mom just thought I was faking, two days later I couldn't even open my jaw and Mom finally took me back to the dentist.

And to top it off, I was so dumb to get a tattoo three days before hand (it was my 18th birthday) and was hopped up on other pain killers that I scratched my tattoo and scarred it.


Glad to hear your son came through all good!
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooy View Post
The dry sockets was from the fact that I didn't know I was allergic to percocets and threw up when I took them.
You're not allergic to percocet. Vomiting is unfortunately a common side effect, that if you scroll back through the thread will see at least a couple of us have to it.
Supposedly it can lessen or go away with regular use, but I can't imagine putting up with it long enough to find out.

Allergic reactions tend to cause swelling, hives, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. Itching isn't necessarily allergy related but can be because of the percocet causing extra histamine release.

Since the side effect is enough to cause a lot of discomfort, please make sure it's noted in all of your medical records. You wouldn't want to be in the hospital and have them give you percocet when you can't or shouldn't be getting out of bed! A good suggestion for everyone here in fact, keep that info updated with your doctor(s) and dentist.
post #36 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
You're not allergic to percocet. Vomiting is unfortunately a common side effect, that if you scroll back through the thread will see at least a couple of us have to it.
Supposedly it can lessen or go away with regular use, but I can't imagine putting up with it long enough to find out.

Allergic reactions tend to cause swelling, hives, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. Itching isn't necessarily allergy related but can be because of the percocet causing extra histamine release.

Since the side effect is enough to cause a lot of discomfort, please make sure it's noted in all of your medical records. You wouldn't want to be in the hospital and have them give you percocet when you can't or shouldn't be getting out of bed! A good suggestion for everyone here in fact, keep that info updated with your doctor(s) and dentist.
I can't imagine anything worse than throwing up just after getting your wisdom teeth out.
post #37 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluchetta View Post
I can't imagine anything worse than throwing up just after getting your wisdom teeth out.
How about vomiting after having surgery? Not as much of a risk of infection as with getting teeth removed, but it sure hurts!
post #38 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
How about vomiting after having surgery? Not as much of a risk of infection as with getting teeth removed, but it sure hurts!
Well, I vomited after my periacetabular osteotomy (LOL) but it was a couple days afterward and didn't hurt any more than anything else at the time.
post #39 of 46
I had my first physical therapy visit today and we were talking about pain. The therapist tells me that women's tolerance to pain is much higher than men's. Physical therapists deal with pain management every day so I have to believe that there is some medical basis to it.

Just wanted to share, since someone posted about this earlier.
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluchetta View Post
I can't imagine anything worse than throwing up just after getting your wisdom teeth out.
I did that too. I always threw up after surgery until fairly recently the docs figured out how to control my nausea (get enough surgery and they figure it out...). I threw up mostly blood though after my wisdom teeth surgery It was so gross.

And trust me - throwing up after open heart surgery is worse than throwing up after getting wisdom teeth out!!!
post #41 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
I did that too. I always threw up after surgery until fairly recently the docs figured out how to control my nausea (get enough surgery and they figure it out...). I threw up mostly blood though after my wisdom teeth surgery It was so gross.

And trust me - throwing up after open heart surgery is worse than throwing up after getting wisdom teeth out!!!
You win! LOL
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
I did that too. I always threw up after surgery until fairly recently the docs figured out how to control my nausea (get enough surgery and they figure it out...). I threw up mostly blood though after my wisdom teeth surgery It was so gross.

And trust me - throwing up after open heart surgery is worse than throwing up after getting wisdom teeth out!!!
What did they give you? Zofran (ondansetron) works well for me because it acts on the vagus nerve and doesn't interact with many other drugs (due to how it's broken down). I really should see about getting a refill of that sometime even if it is a little expensive.

In my case I was vomiting about 4 and half to 5 hours after surgery, I barely made it home from the hospital in fact. That's what I got for taking percocets 30 minutes before I left, though. It took me a day to realize it was definitely the painkillers and not the anesthesia like the nurse and doctor suggested on the phone.


Momofmany - Women usually do. After all, the species wouldn't have made it if women were wimps!


I'm really not looking forward to getting my wisdom teeth out, and this thread isn't encouraging me. I had planned to a few months ago but had to put it off due to all the other health stuff that popped up. Lets hope when I do get them out I don't need antibiotics! I'm not supposed to take them anymore unless absolutely necessary.
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
What did they give you? Zofran (ondansetron) works well for me because it acts on the vagus nerve and doesn't interact with many other drugs (due to how it's broken down). I really should see about getting a refill of that sometime even if it is a little expensive.
Now I get lots of Zofran I got a huge supply of Zofran last year - they gave me a prescription for a heap of tablets, so got a bunch of them for $10 - woohoo! They've come in handy for my other surgeries since.
post #44 of 46
I got dry sockets and the best relief by far was when the dental surgeon stuffed the sockets with gauze and somesort of clove oil. It was instant relief, better than the Tylenol 3.

Also, some dentists don't mention the importance of using a water syringe to clean out the sockets of food in the later weeks of healing. Very important, especially if you value having nice smelling breath!
post #45 of 46
Are they being all removed at once, and/or under anesthetic? I think that may be why, if so.

I had all 4 erupt as teeth, not impacted. They grew in straight (the dentist said I had a "big mouth"! ). However, 3 eventually got cavities in them, and had to be removed. It wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was one of the easiest dental procedures I ever had. (This is due to them being erupted, not impacted. All he had to do was pull them; it took a bit longer as they were so far back.) I didn't have them all done at once.

Just remember to strictly follow the home-care instructions to the letter! You don't want dry-socket. You can't eat, drink, smoke, or spit for awhile (think it's 30 minutes???) afterwards, and you must let a blood clot build, and not disturb it, and change the gauze as instructed.

Good luck!
post #46 of 46
Glad to see you all you survived wisdom tooth extraction.. I feel so out of place here because when i had my lower wisdom teeth pulled in 2001 i came out with nerve damage for life.. That day changed my life forever.. What i know now about wisdom tooth extraction is i wish i had kept mine forever.. and i wouldnt have a painful numb tongue..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Wisdom Teeth?