finding the best vet for the money....

volia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a bit of a problem I was hoping someone here could help with me. I adopted a new kitten about two months ago, the problem is she was 7 weeks old when she was found and she had some big eye problems (I adopted her when she was about 12 weeks) when I got her, her eyes were doing better, she had a cold and I took her to the vet, he gave me something for her eyes and the cold and said to give it time, he also said he couldn't give her shots until she was better.
Well since then I had to move (boyfriend got a new job and we had to rush). Her eyes are doing alot better, though the right eye is still a bit off and she is still sneezing, though not as bad as before, she still hasn't gotten her shots. I am going to college full time and I haven't gotten the funding I was expecting before I moved.
I found one good vet here, but the prices are, well, painful ($50 just for a check up, about $250 for everything they guessed). So now I need to find a vet I can trust whos prices are alittle less painful. Idealy I would like to find someone for about $150 or less, though I think I handle $200. I live in the Utah area.
Is there a website I can go to, to find a good vet, or a trustworthy vet that is alittle less money?
Thank you for any help

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humane societies usually have low income vaccinations and spay/neuter. Also try a vet not in a city.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by volia

...Is there a website I can go to, to find a good vet, or a trustworthy vet that is alittle less money?...
If I were faced with this, I'd be happy to find a list of competent feline Veterinarians, and then phone/contact each, describing my current situation and inquiring about prices.

Here's a list of Veterinarians who have proven their competency...perhaps you will be able to find one who can offer some flexibility in pricing. That site also has other links for Vet searching.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

volia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you both

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your local animal shelter or even the municipal pound may be able to recommend a decent but affordable vet if you explain that you're a caring owner on a budget. Good luck to you.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
word of mouth ... the like Blaise gave is a nice start but none of the great vets in my area are on there ... Remember the old adage 1 bad experience you tell 10 people ... one great experience you tell one person ... so ask around...

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best way is simply to ask around. Animal shelters, people you know who have pets, etc...

If that fails I would look up Vets in reasonable travel distance from you and call and ask for prices for basic services like exam fees, vaccines and spay/neuter.

You may find that the prices you were quoted are the norm for your area. They certainly were for mine when I was living stateside.