What would you do if someone stole your cats pictures?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This person I know stole Cleos pictures and is using them for her website.
She told me she took Cleos pictures and is using them for her websites.
Should I tell her to stop using them.
I quit her group beforee she did this and quit posting there before summer.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what she's using the photos for, I suppose. I would also ask that credit be given to the source of the photos (you, or the breeder, or whoever).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is using them in her cat group and website.
They are pictures I took.
She told me after she used them that she put them on her pages.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 questions... do you care if she uses them? and is she crediting them as your pictures?

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would not be very happy. It is your kitty and she should have asked you first instead of just telling you.

I would ask that she put your name on the pictures becasue YOU took them and not her. Cleo is a beatuiful cat and I can see why she would want pictures of her, but none the less they are not her pictures to use. Especially without your premission.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell her that then. Those photoes are your intellectual property and with out permission she is (technically) breaking the law providing you can prove they are yours.

I'd nicely tell her that if she is not going to give you credit for the pictures (just a simple "all right reserved by ____" would be adequate) then you don't want her using them and she is violating intellectual property laws if she does not cease and desist immediately!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be pretty upset if she didn't get my permission. do you have a signature program? Perhaps you could copyright them or have someone do it for you?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cleo is so cute. I would contact them and tell them not to use pictures without your consent. Then to give you credit or take them off immediately.
They are yours. then I would put your name or at least something on all your pictures before posting to groups. But some people can take that off if they really want to do that. It is always a risk you take with sharing your pictures. I have found some I have taken and shared in unexpected places. It happens more than you know sometimes.
It is annoying.
Photographers usually get very creative with their sites for this reason.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically speaking, your photos are copyrighted and your property, and what she did is illegal. Some people just don't know that stuff like this is illegal (people scan and print/post photographers pictures ALL the time). Ever see professional pictures on people's myspace or facebook page? Unless they had written permission from the photographer to do that, what they did is illegal. My husband's cousin does it EVERY time she gets her daughter's pictures taken...there is a reason I refused to take pictures for her.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you use them for a photo competition or anything on her site, you say posting so I am assuming it is a forum.

The photo contests here mean you hand the right of their use over to TCS

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sheesh, I'm sorry some body did that to you mews2much.

I had a exhusband who posted this awful picture of me on the web with crosshairs on my picture(let me tell you it was a horrid photo). I don't think there is anything you can do about it but hope for a little karma to go to the ones who do these things.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

sheesh, I'm sorry some body did that to you mews2much.

I had a exhusband who posted this awful picture of me on the web with crosshairs on my picture(let me tell you it was a horrid photo). I don't think there is anything you can do about it but hope for a little karma to go to the ones who do these things.
I'm surprised at how I am continually amazed at the horrible, inconsiderate, and mean things people do. I believe in karma, too, sometimes it's all there is to hold on to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do I watermark them?
This same person leeps sending emails asking us to vote for her dogs in a contest also.
She is not getting my vote or my sisters vote.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Watermarking is just photoshopping something onto the picture that marks it as "yours", like a signature, or a symbol, or something. Something so that people can't just take it.