stray in the cluttered garage/must be caught by tomorrow

fyrefli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Before Christmas a talkative stray moved in under our porch. He yelled at us until we fed him and ate as if he never had before. This routine continued until we managed to get him into our attached garage a few days ago. It's wet and snowy outside, no place for a cat, and the garage is warmer and dry.

The problem is, the garage is still cluttered with all sorts of moving boxes and there are a million different places for him to hide. If you go out and talk to him for a while he'll talk back but hasn't the courage to come out from his hiding spot.

This morning me, my mother and brother managed to corner him. He was terrified and tried to hide his head at first, before turning to us and growling. Afraid he'd pounce or try and fight his way out, we fled.

I have to catch him by tomorrow morning. We've been snowed in most winter save for required trips and tomorrow will be the first time the garage has to be opened ever since he moved in there.

The snow is melting and it's beginning to warm up and our own cats will be heading outside again after waiting out winter indoors. I'm afraid that if the stray gets out our own cats will chase him away or they'll get into a rumble.

He has wounds on the base of his tail and ears and obviously needs a vet. If he gets out tomorrow I don't know if we'll be seeing him again.

We don't have a trap, only carriers and wouldn't be able to get one in time.

I saw a thousand other trapping threads but couldn't find any to fit this particular problem.

So...

Anybody have advice for trapping a scared cat in the garage by tomorrow morning?

I can't tell you how grateful I'd be if anybody could help me out here!

-fyre

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know thats a very difficult situation, I had the same problem with a stray that got into my garage, except he was very sick, but he put up a good fight but I had to get him to the Vet because he was dying. Well my sister, me and my brother cornered him and was able to throw a blanket on him, (my brother also had heavy gloves on) and he grabbed him with the blanket and got him into a carrier. We probably lucked out a little because he was sick. I know exactly what you are going through. If he does get out, you might still be able to trap him if he's hungry enough. I wish you a lot of luck. Your so good to want to help this poor little thing. Maybe someone will have some other ideas for you. Please keep us updated.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You might try putting the carrier in the garage with the door propped open. Put a towel or blanket in it and a small dish of food. If you're lucky the cat may decide that it's a good hiding place. I haven't dealt with any ferals, but two of my cats love to sleep in the carriers.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to combine these two advices you get above.

First the carrier. If it dont results, try with the blanket and gloves.

Blanket isnt so bad. A cat well helpless usually give up.

So for example cutting nails on a difficult cat can be done wrapping him in!

Good luck, and thanks for helping this cat!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

So for example cutting nails on a difficult cat can be done wrapping him in!
I wish you'd tell my cats that. They could teach Houdini a thing or two.