TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I got engaged!! ring pics!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I got engaged!! ring pics!

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
It was a total surprise. I was in the shower and he got home from work and just walked in and asked me. haha.

Now I need an honest opinion on the ring. (since my mom is out of town!)
It's a rare Kashmir sapphire with two emerald cut diamonds on the side.
I never imagined having a colored stone for an engagement ring, but it's REALLY beautiful, and he's always loved blue jewelry on me since I have blue eyes.
I can tell he put a lot of thought into picking it out.

Does it look enough like an engagement ring?
Is it too big?

We still have time to return it and went to look at pure diamond solitaires and three-stone rings, which are gorgeous and sparkly, but they seem sort of plain and unoriginal next to mine. Though they do look more classic.
I don't know, I can't decide.....






post #2 of 28
I love it! It might "catch" on things, but is certainly a lot more eye-catching than a diamond solataire. on your engagement.
post #3 of 28
I think it looks fine!. I have a large ring as well and i got used to it after a few days. Saphire and diamonds together are popular here in the UK

Congratulations!
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnihon View Post
I can tell he put a lot of thought into picking it out.

Does it look enough like an engagement ring?
Is it too big?

We still have time to return it and went to look at pure diamond solitaires and three-stone rings, which are gorgeous and sparkly, but they seem sort of plain and unoriginal next to mine. Though they do look more classic.
I don't know, I can't decide.....
He bought it for you as an engagement ring. It's perfect! I think it's gorgeous.

Try not to fall into "traditional" or "typical".. because there is no such thing. Some want diamonds, others rubies, some emeralds. Who cares what stone is in the engagement ring, so long as it was given to you in the spirit it was meant.

There is no law that says all engagement rings have to be solitaire diamonds. If you like it, and he likes it, then it's absolutely perfect.

Take Princess Diana's ring for example. She had a blue stone surrounded by diamonds.
post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
Princess Diana actually had the exact same type of stone as mine! (Kashmir sapphire) Though honestly I like my setting and side stones better. hehe.
post #6 of 28
First off, Congratulations!!!!

Now, if you love the ring and he loves the ring, then why question if you should get something else! My goodness, it is so pretty! How special is it that he picked it out just for you! If you took it back and got something else I think you would feel bad. I wouldn't trade my engagement ring for anything. It is so special and means so much to me because he picked it out for me.

I think it is beautiful and you should keep it!
post #7 of 28
It sounds like you are already in love with it. Congratulations and best wishes.

Cally
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
He bought it for you as an engagement ring. It's perfect! I think it's gorgeous.

Try not to fall into "traditional" or "typical".. because there is no such thing. Some want diamonds, others rubies, some emeralds. Who cares what stone is in the engagement ring, so long as it was given to you in the spirit it was meant.

There is no law that says all engagement rings have to be solitaire diamonds. If you like it, and he likes it, then it's absolutely perfect.

Take Princess Diana's ring for example. She had a blue stone surrounded by diamonds.
Exactly - It's about the engagement, the promise of a future together, the moment... not about the ring... Besides, it is GORGEOUS! Congratulations!
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
He bought it for you as an engagement ring. It's perfect! I think it's gorgeous.

Try not to fall into "traditional" or "typical".. because there is no such thing. Some want diamonds, others rubies, some emeralds. Who cares what stone is in the engagement ring, so long as it was given to you in the spirit it was meant.

There is no law that says all engagement rings have to be solitaire diamonds. If you like it, and he likes it, then it's absolutely perfect.

Take Princess Diana's ring for example. She had a blue stone surrounded by diamonds.
My engagement ring is a dark saphire with a tiny diamond on each side and I got it on our first wedding anniversary I think whatever makes YOU happy is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinalima View Post
Exactly - It's about the engagement, the promise of a future together, the moment... not about the ring... Besides, it is GORGEOUS! Congratulations!
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire203 View Post
My engagement ring is a dark saphire with a tiny diamond on each side and I got it on our first wedding anniversary I think whatever makes YOU happy is best.


When I was engaged my ring was a ruby surrounded by diamonds. Very pretty!
post #11 of 28
Sapphire is a symbol of loyalty and fidelity... diamonds of love.. .what more could you want???? It's stunning!!
post #12 of 28
It is pretty. Congratulations!!
post #13 of 28
Oh I love the ring! Congratulations

Sapphire engagement rings are so pretty. I know a girl with a huge emerald engagement ring. She said that most people realize it's an engagement ring, so that shouldn't be an issue. Princess Diana's engagement ring was a sapphire wasn't it?
post #14 of 28
congrats
post #15 of 28
Having an engagement ring that you think might be too big is like worrying that you can't close your wallet because you have too much money in it.

It's a gorgeous ring. Enjoy it.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by clixpix View Post
Having an engagement ring that you think might be too big is like worrying that you can't close your wallet because you have too much money in it.


I think it's gorgeous! And if put that much thought into it, why would you ever want to change it unless you really hate it??

My engagement ring is a sapphire with diamonds on each side as well The style is not one I would have picked out myself, but it's my husband's mother's who died when he was a baby, so it means a lot to us, and I wouldn't change it for the world!
post #17 of 28
I like that your ring is atypical. I think you ought to keep the one he picked out for you, since he gave that to you from his

(And congratulations! )
post #18 of 28
Oh yeah - congratulations!!!!!!
post #19 of 28
Thread Starter 
Thanks!

I am having more second thoughts today though and am now leaning towards exchanging it for a diamond.
I LOVE the sapphire ring, but I just feel like I want my engagement ring to be diamonds.
And I worry that with this ring, it's too big and fancy and either I'll look stupid wearing it with jeans or scrubs (I'm a nurse) or people will just assume that it's a costume jewelry ring and won't even know I'm engaged!
A diamond also just goes with more stuff and I really could wear it every day.

I'm confused.....
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnihon View Post
Thanks!

I am having more second thoughts today though and am now leaning towards exchanging it for a diamond.
I LOVE the sapphire ring, but I just feel like I want my engagement ring to be diamonds.
And I worry that with this ring, it's too big and fancy and either I'll look stupid wearing it with jeans or scrubs (I'm a nurse) or people will just assume that it's a costume jewelry ring and won't even know I'm engaged!
A diamond also just goes with more stuff and I really could wear it every day.

I'm confused.....
First of all, congratulations!! and the ring is GORGEOUS
HOWEVER, clearly you have thought long and hard, and in your heart just want something a little difference. At the end of the day it is your engagment right, that YOU are going to wear for the rest of YOUR life, and I personally think it should be exactly what YOU want. For the money that is spent on an engagment ring, if you are having second thoughts, get exactly what you want, and what is practical for you and your lifestyle...... I would not be able to wear a big ring like that for reasons similar to what you stated.... I need stones set inside the ring because I wear latex gloves ALL day, so I understand when you're coming from. I'm sure you're fiance will be understanding, as long as you make sure he knows you still love it and know how much effort he put into it
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnihon View Post
Thanks!

I am having more second thoughts today though and am now leaning towards exchanging it for a diamond.
I LOVE the sapphire ring, but I just feel like I want my engagement ring to be diamonds.
And I worry that with this ring, it's too big and fancy and either I'll look stupid wearing it with jeans or scrubs (I'm a nurse) or people will just assume that it's a costume jewelry ring and won't even know I'm engaged!
A diamond also just goes with more stuff and I really could wear it every day.

I'm confused.....
First, congratulations!!

Second, try to put other people's opinions out of your head and think about what YOU want. My ring is far from traditional, but it's what I wanted and I love it. Most people don't see it as an engagement ring. Occasionally when I have to explain my ring to people I'll come home and think "maybe I should have gotten a normal engagement ring". But then I realize that I love my ring, it suits me perfectly, and who cares what other people think. Not to mention the possibility of you getting a fantastic wedding band and moving your engagement ring to your right hand, or something like that if you chose. I wanted stacking bands so that between my engagement and wedding bands i would have the look of a wide diamond band. I work with my hands as well, so it was not only a style choice but a practical one. It's all about you, and I think your ring is beautiful!

Here's my engagement ring so you know what I'm talking about. http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item...+6-ri+-ni+0-t+
post #22 of 28
I think that it is lovely so congratulations from me!
post #23 of 28
Even though I am not a sapphire person ( I prefer red stones), I LOVE your ring! So beautiful...and unique. My boss has (what appears to be) an antique platinum or silver ring, with a large sapphire. (I think it's her birthstone.) Looks lovely to me! And best wishes on your engagement!

I, too, didn't want a diamond (I don't really like them anyway). I wanted something unusual, and also period-correct for the 1860's (I was a Civil War reenactor). Well anyway, he proposed months earlier than he planned, on the spur of the moment, in a pizza place, on a Saturday night. No time to order a ring on the 'Net, and that was un-romantic. The Tiffany solitaire didn't exist then--they basically wore regular rings, but often with an inscription engraved inside of the band (next to the finger). I love that idea. I just wanted a $79, 14k and garnet repro ring I saw online (they actually have very nice jewelry--I have seen it in person). I ended up with a diamond ring that cost far, far more! I didn't have the heart to tell him what I wanted--he was so set on a diamond ring--and wanted to get it that very night. The local stores were closing, so we put the first one I tried on hold until the next day. I kept coming back to that one. I also made sure he had discount coupons (really), as I didn't want him to get further into debt for a silly ring! ( I wanted a house much more than a ring!) It was a pretty ring, with a larger diamond chip flower in the center, flanked by a smaller one on either side.

We later found out it actually was an anniversary ring!

I usually don't wear either ring, engagement nor wedding band, as I am always removing them to work, and find them annoying. I am not a ring person. He has never worn his past our wedding day, so I don't feel bad!
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
He bought it for you as an engagement ring. It's perfect! I think it's gorgeous.

Try not to fall into "traditional" or "typical".. because there is no such thing. Some want diamonds, others rubies, some emeralds.
my sister's engagement ring stone was/is a topaz [it's been replaced since she originally got it 25+ years ago, but by another topaz].
i like it! i wouldn't switch, myself.
post #25 of 28
I love hearing you say that he loves blue jewelry on you because you have blue eyes. Most guys (sorry, guys) wouldn't put that much thought into it.
post #26 of 28
It is gorgeous!!!

Congratulations!!
post #27 of 28
congrats! i think its beautiful and original, my BF took me looking at engagement rings so i think its coming soon....if he does propose in time im going to get married on halloween 2009..i always wanted a halloween wedding.

post #28 of 28
It's gorgeous! It's your ring, your (soon-to-be) marriage... if you love it, go for it! There's no reason to be "traditional" just for the sake of... well, tradition! He obviously put a lot of thought into it, and you love it... and so do I! Lucky girl
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I got engaged!! ring pics!